[WIP][1.6.x_TEMPORARY FIX] NAS - Naval Artillery System 0.7.0 (BDAc Addon, WW2 Naval Weapons) - "Land of Dragon" - 2018/4/28

Acea

One thing that may be cool and helpful would be if you somehow integrated the hangars mod with the carriers that way planes would be stored but not loaded reducing part counts and docking issues

This seems a nice advice and I'll see how that works

Log:

http://i.imgur.com/fxtg03e.png

Yesterday Ladeng went to school, and I was helping another modding group with their modern naval guns. The next NAS update will come to the surface in a day or two, and here's a preview above.

For that hull part pack, we agreed to halt it up until 1.0.5 release, since NathanKell's work on thermal tweaks may influence defending effects.

OMG! Acea! That looks incredible!

vXSg5Q3.png

Updatelog:

0.2.2 release here! Three different weapons from three powers are now in the game!

Changelog 0.2.2 (IMPORTANT) - "Old Empires":

Updated C.A.L to 0.0.3 (I got density of 37mmFlaKAmmo wrong again, and fixed it in this release. Sorry Prometheus :P)

Converted all textures except normal maps to DDS format, they work nice in test.

Enabled stack nodes of most guns, and strengthened all nodes significantly.

Disabled the airburst function of Mark 12 5"/38.

Tweaked some parameters of 2 cm Flakvierling 38.

Redid the model and texture of 38 cm SK/C 34.

The two 5 inch guns now fire 5/62Shell instead of default CannonShell.

Added 3 new parts:

- Royal Navy: QF 4.5 inch Mk IV Naval Gun / Mk V Mount (with airburst)

- Kriegsmarine: 3.7 cm SK/C 30 Anti-aircraft Gun Dual Mount

- Imperial Japanese Navy: Type 96 25 mm AT/AA Gun Triple Mount

Edited by Acea

Any chance you could make in imgur album with a picture for each weapon/turret?

Also, can you make the descriptions for all turrets that require ammo boxes to include which​ ammo box?

Yes I will but it needs some time

Any turret requiring a non-BD and ununique caliber ammo has its special description now, and if you don't see when mouse on one of them, it uses a BD ammo box with the same caliber

Edited by Acea

Yes I will but it needs some time

Any turret requiring a non-BD and ununique caliber ammo has its special description now, and if you don't see when mouse on one of them, it uses a BD ammo box with the same caliber

OK thanks. :-)

Log:

VWXa9ux.png

After nearly a week in a spin we've got back to our normal life, and I had a break to play video games all day, it's time to plan the next update.

The next version of NAS will be 0.2.5, instead of 0.2.3, which would present several parts from WWII electronic warfare armory.

PS: Tomahawk in the screenshot above comes from P.E.W, and this scene was part of our VLS tests.

Edited by Acea

Log:

http://i.imgur.com/VWXa9ux.png

After nearly a week in a spin we've got back to our normal life, and I had a break to play video games all day, it's time to plan the next update.

The next version of NAS will be 0.2.5, instead of 0.2.3, which would present several parts from WWII electronic warfare armory.

PS: Tomahawk in the screenshot above comes from P.E.W, and this scene was part of our VLS tests.

If only I could make that thing stop flying upside down oh well its pretty good at long range strikes and can go from KSC to beyond the island airstrip

If only I could make that thing stop flying upside down oh well its pretty good at long range strikes and can go from KSC to beyond the island airstrip

Seems that there's no flight attitude control in BD cruise missile module right now. It'd be nice if Baha adds that in next update

Errr... i have a slight problem. cant tell if it is with your mod or the maritime pack but most of your weapons apprear WAYYY to large for the boat parts. any help?

Weapons are all 80% real world size right now and you need to build a hull fit or larger than this size. I've compared these to original BD weapons and they look normal, it seems you need TweakScale

I had a thought regarding the VLS hull part. Would it also be possible to create a stand alone, non-floating structural piece to be put one top of the hull, sort of like how the rear VLS on the Ticonderoga class cruisers is raised off the baseline of the hull.

Log:

Yesterday I did something for reference of weapon power configs. According to original BDA bombs and cannons I concluded a system of equations:

cannonShellPower = 5.25 * m^(1/3)

blastPower = 5.75 * m^(1/3)

(m stands for the shell's TNT equivalent of bursting charge, kg)

cannonShellRadius = 3.75 * cannonShellPower (AP) / 5.6 * cannonShellPower (HE)

blastRadius = K * blastPower

(K ranges from 1.25 to 1.75)

These equations are inaccurate and may vary due to structural differences between ammunitions, but they can approximately describe the specifications of regular BDArmory weapons. I'll redefine all NAS weapons' power according to these in next release.

I had a thought regarding the VLS hull part. Would it also be possible to create a stand alone, non-floating structural piece to be put one top of the hull, sort of like how the rear VLS on the Ticonderoga class cruisers is raised off the baseline of the hull.

Yep that's exactly what we've been doing, maybe somehow different from what you thought of

Edited by Acea

I would love a few craft files that would uses this mod. a working battleship and a working destroyer. WE NEED TORPEDOES THOUGH!!! RAAAWR

We'd like to make torpedoes if they don't explode under water or jump out of the surface or go sunk

We'd like to make torpedoes if they don't explode under water or jump out of the surface or go sunk

I had a few theories on making them work but they hinged on antigravity due to the water colision issue badically it would need to hover a meter above the water sadly BDArmroy code just does not allow for underwater missiles... Now that I think about it parts dont detonate underwater. If you could have a set depth and somehow disable the collision with water and attatch a warhead part to the front that MAY just work

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you can make proximity detonation work thatd help

Torpedoes hovering above the water and flying forward oh guy that's crazy

I'd look into that if someone in our group knows how to make a plugin. After all I've been interested in torpedoes and depth charges for a long time

Log:

Most of our modelers are busy with their courses right now, and it may take some time to have them all free and ready to work.

During this time I'd like to hold a poll, in order to know your preference about which country should be preferred in future updates, and then adjust our plans according to the result.

Having a bit of trouble with the larger cannons. Mostly them being 10x-100x heavier than the ship that I'm trying to mount them on, despite the ship not fitting in the SPH. My ships keep sinking with them on, and float just fine without. At first I thought it was better buoyancy, so I deleted that. Unfortunately, I kept ending up with capsizing, unintentional submarines. I understand that you've already reduced the weight already (I did the maths comparing the Type 94 Naval to an F-1 Engine), but we don't really have anything to mount it on. Nothing stock could handle it, and Maritime Pack just doesn't scale up high enough in order to take it.

I would very much like to use these larger guns, but they aren't very useful underwater. The wiki page for the Type 94 described it as "weighing as much as a battleship", so I'd suggest making a battleship using only Maritime, vanilla BDA, and Tweakscale, then using it's mass as the mass for the cannon, then scaling the other turrets down relative to that.

Oh, and in CAL, 37mmFlaKAmmo is not in defined in resources, so it doesn't actually work. The box exists, but not anything in the Ammo.cfg. Yes, I have the most recent version of CAL from Kerbalstuff.

Haven't had any problems with the smaller guns, other than the flak gun only working with Infinite ammo, so keep up the good work!

Having a bit of trouble with the larger cannons. Mostly them being 10x-100x heavier than the ship that I'm trying to mount them on, despite the ship not fitting in the SPH. My ships keep sinking with them on, and float just fine without. At first I thought it was better buoyancy, so I deleted that. Unfortunately, I kept ending up with capsizing, unintentional submarines. I understand that you've already reduced the weight already (I did the maths comparing the Type 94 Naval to an F-1 Engine), but we don't really have anything to mount it on. Nothing stock could handle it, and Maritime Pack just doesn't scale up high enough in order to take it.

I would very much like to use these larger guns, but they aren't very useful underwater. The wiki page for the Type 94 described it as "weighing as much as a battleship", so I'd suggest making a battleship using only Maritime, vanilla BDA, and Tweakscale, then using it's mass as the mass for the cannon, then scaling the other turrets down relative to that.

Oh, and in CAL, 37mmFlaKAmmo is not in defined in resources, so it doesn't actually work. The box exists, but not anything in the Ammo.cfg. Yes, I have the most recent version of CAL from Kerbalstuff.

Haven't had any problems with the smaller guns, other than the flak gun only working with Infinite ammo, so keep up the good work!

That's kind of weird because none of these troubles happen to me, right now. I'm using the same version downloaded from KerbalStuff.

I've checked my Ammo.cfg in CAL, modified on Oct 5th, which has clearly defined 37mmFlaKAmmo. My 3.7cm FlaK works as well.

Also weights of turrets, especially the very Type 94, are reasonable. I can say that because my platform, the exact one I used to test 38cm guns, floats just fine:

5mMXYPT.png

I haven't even tweaked the size (3x) and despite some wobbling, it stays on the surface nicely, with Better Buoyancy.

Edited by Acea

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.