[WIP][1.6.x_TEMPORARY FIX] NAS - Naval Artillery System 0.7.0 (BDAc Addon, WW2 Naval Weapons) - "Land of Dragon" - 2018/4/28

Acea

On 5/2/2018 at 10:30 AM, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

one problem here
the HVARs act weird upon fired, haven't tested other rockets
it just fly awkwardly and explodes mid-air 
no log rn, i'll give a pic later

I'll test it later and maybe get a solution in next update

EDIT: Okay got it. Just open cfg files of HVAR and Tiny Tim with Notepad,  find this value and modify it into:

dropTime = 0.1 //how many seconds after release until engine ignites

Would be fixed in next version.

Edited by Acea

6 hours ago, N7_aerospace said:

the aerial topredos dont always hit the ship and just go right under

Build a ship with a deeper waterline. Also it's a known issue that torpedoes would bounce off curved surfaces, I'd get a solution next time.

EDIT: Tried multiple times and couldn't get any useful solution. If only BDAc set default crash tolerance of torpedoes to a lower value like 0.2...

5 hours ago, N7_aerospace said:

also could you add a katyusha rocket (i know its not a naval weapon)

No. Just... no.

On 5/3/2018 at 7:23 AM, Acea said:

Build a ship with a deeper waterline. Also it's a known issue that torpedoes would bounce off curved surfaces, I'd get a solution next time.

EDIT: Tried multiple times and couldn't get any useful solution. If only BDAc set default crash tolerance of torpedoes to a lower value like 0.2...

You could just implement a proximity fuse into your torpedoes ... when the current target gets to say within 2 meters of the targeted vessel the torpedo goes boom?

I say  2 meters as the target point for a vessel is the center of its CoM so you would need to account for half the width of any given vessel in order for a proximity deal to work correctly

Changing the impact tolerance may seem like an easy fix but we all know once you change one little thing it tends to have broad implications ... changing the impact values could very well mess with other parts of BDAc

Edited by DoctorDavinci

3 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

You could just implement a proximity fuse into your torpedoes ... when the current target gets to say within 2 meters of the targeted vessel the torpedo goes boom?

I say  2 meters as the target point for a vessel is the center of its CoM so you would need to account for half the width of any given vessel in order for a proximity deal to work correctly

Changing the impact tolerance may seem like an easy fix but we all know once you change one little thing it tends to have broad implications ... changing the impact values could very well mess with other parts of BDAc

But torpedoes don't have any proper aiming mark now... I know it wouldn't cause any trouble to guided torpedoes, but for unguided types that would be a fatal flaw, that's why I'm giving my aerial torps an unguided bomb type.

And proximity fuses would only work with AAMs and SLW type weapons, while I cannot actually set my own aerial torpedoes to SLW type when no aiming method could be used. I guess this is a long-existed issue?

Also the default impact tolerance definition is here:

if(TimeIndex > 0.5f)
				{
					if(torpedo)
					{
						if(vessel.altitude > 0)
						{
							part.crashTolerance = waterImpactTolerance;
						}
						else
						{
							part.crashTolerance = 1;
						}
					}
					else
					{
						part.crashTolerance = 1;
					}
				}

Seems that it would only affect torpedoes and is actually quite simple. What I need is either a lower impact tolerance, or an aiming mark for at least unguided torpedoes. IMO the latter one would be a better solution, while it would take more effort.

Edited by Acea

32 minutes ago, Acea said:

But torpedoes don't have any proper aiming mark now... I know it wouldn't cause any trouble to guided torpedoes, but for unguided types that would be a fatal flaw, that's why I'm giving my aerial torps an unguided bomb type.

And proximity fuses would only work with AAMs and SLW type weapons, while I cannot actually set my own aerial torpedoes to SLW type when no aiming method could be used. I guess this is a long-existed issue?

Also the default impact tolerance definition is here:

if(TimeIndex > 0.5f)
				{
					if(torpedo)
					{
						if(vessel.altitude > 0)
						{
							part.crashTolerance = waterImpactTolerance;
						}
						else
						{
							part.crashTolerance = 1;
						}
					}
					else
					{
						part.crashTolerance = 1;
					}
				}

Seems that it would only affect torpedoes and is actually quite simple. What I need is either a lower impact tolerance, or an aiming mark for at least unguided torpedoes. IMO the latter one would be a better solution, while it would take more effort.

So why not just inherit the missilelauncher code and override the settings to what you want for your torpedoes

If the impact is changed then it affects all torpedoes for all mods ... there is a reason that tolerance is where it is

Do what I do for my mods, if BDAc code needs to be changed for any of my stuff to work then I change it to suit my needs by inheriting the BDAc code and then overriding the parts I want to change

Fairly simple solution and likely the best avenue for you to take ... as mentioned earlier, if that value is changed then it can and very likely will put some stuff out of whack for other torpedoes 

32 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

Post a feature request on the BDAc github for An aiming reticle to be added for unguided torpedoes, that way the request doesn’t get lost.

I've already posted a request, like more than half a year ago, and just got forgotten afterwards. I guess it would be quicker to do all the inheriting stuff, anyway thx to y'all.

wait so release 7.0 is 1.4.3 compatible? this is confusing me

On 5/3/2018 at 1:19 AM, N7_aerospace said:

also could you add a katyusha rocket (i know its not a naval weapon)

Katyushas were a naval weapon. Just on a strange patrol boat that had a t34 gun and plane engines

9 hours ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

wait so release 7.0 is 1.4.3 compatible? this is confusing me

All parts work fine for me so far, I guess that's safe enough to say it's compatible

2 hours ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

naval guns seems boring without boat parts, waiting LBP safe update 

btw, the Sten can't aim, it acts like a fixed gun when attached to the hand

You can try SM Marine too, which I'd personally recommend.

And that's how the Sten is supposed to work now. I'm looking into that and maybe try a different way of operating in next update.

1 minute ago, Acea said:

And that's how the Sten is supposed to work now. I'm looking into that and maybe try a different way of operating in next update.

eh? it's not built for swivel yet?
that's different from the BDFPS mod i've seen on youtube

1 minute ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

are they switchable?

Sure. Now all necessary functions are complete, we're still polishing details. It may come a little late.

Sooo... this has probably already been mentioned (and probably being fixed), but when I fire an unguided torpedo (specifically the Thunder Fish), it just taps the ship and doesn't explode. When I drop the torpedo on the ship from above (as you do), it explodes perfectly fine and causes damage to the ship, but when I launch it from my plane, it just hits the side, doesn't explode and doesn't do any damage. Could someone explain this in simple terms?

EDIT: Also, does someone know why the naval guns just fire way farther than I want it to when I fire them (not the AI. They apparently do it fine)?

Edited by PossiblyPrecarious

10 hours ago, PossiblyPrecarious said:

Sooo... this has probably already been mentioned (and probably being fixed), but when I fire an unguided torpedo (specifically the Thunder Fish), it just taps the ship and doesn't explode. When I drop the torpedo on the ship from above (as you do), it explodes perfectly fine and causes damage to the ship, but when I launch it from my plane, it just hits the side, doesn't explode and doesn't do any damage. Could someone explain this in simple terms?

EDIT: Also, does someone know why the naval guns just fire way farther than I want it to when I fire them (not the AI. They apparently do it fine)?

Parts have a larger crash tolerance under water - only SLW and AA weapons can have a proximity fuze - SLW type does not provide any visual aiming method - I had to use BOMB type.

That's the basic explanation. Anyhow the solution is now under test and seems it works not bad, so that's gonna be fixed in next update if things go on well.

The manually aiming issue is a long-existed problem, which happens when you are not actually pointing at target vessel, but the terrain behind. This would become much more obvious at sea, since you are aiming at the seabed far away. Either let AI handle it, or do it more precisely.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.