Windows 10 updates can disable pirated games and unauthorized hardware

rtxoff

Using Godwin's Law, or any variation of it, automatically means you lose the argument, with few exceptions. And these terms are almost impossible to enforce. There would be nearly no way for Microsoft to find and disable pirated games unless a specific version became insanely famous, enough to attract a great deal of attention putting pressure on MS, and I doubt unauthorized hardware being disabled will be a thing. If it is, there'd be many ways around it. The privacy issues you've heard about almost certainly apply only to data uploaded onto the cloud, and it'd only be investigated if there was good suspicion that you had something illegal there, the same terms Google Drive and Dropbox have to cover their ass.

Remember, Microsoft doesn't have much of a spine-- they always fold under public enmity, just look at anything about XBox, for example.

Don't forget that piracy discussion is against the rules here :)

But the disabling of hardware is unbelievable, the potential for abuse and of false positives is disturbing, and could affect much more than chinese Xbox controllers.

The article ties the terms of service to Windows 10, but the actual terms of service linked in the article aren't for Windows 10, they're for having a Microsoft Account. The list of services covered by the terms of Service are these:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/?s=ecym#serviceslist

Account.microsoft.com

Advertising.microsoft.com

Bing

Bing Apps

Bing Desktop

Bing Dictionary

Bing in the Classroom

Bing Input

Bing Maps

Bing Navigation

Bing Reader

Bing Rewards

Bing Search app

Bing Toolbar

Bing Torque

Bing Translator

Bing Webmaster

Bing Wikipedia Browser

Bing.com

Bingplaces.com

Choice.microsoft.com

Citizen Next

Cortana

Default Homepage and New Tab Page on Microsoft Edge

Device Health App

HealthVault

Groove

Maps App

Microsoft account

Microsoft Family

Microsoft Health

Microsoft Translator

Microsoft Wallpaper

Microsoft XiaoIce

MSN Dial Up

MSN Explorer

MSN Food & Drink

MSN Health & Fitness

MSN Money

MSN News

MSN Premium

MSN Sports

MSN Travel

MSN Weather

MSN.com

Next Lock Screen

Office 365 Consumer

Office 365 Home

Office 365 Personal

Office 365 University

Office Online

Office Store

Office Sway

Office.com

OneDrive

OneDrive.com

OneNote

Onenote.com

Outlook.com

Picturesque Lock Screen

Pix Lock

Skype in the Classroom

Skype Manager

Skype Qik

Skype WiFi

Skype.com

Smart Search

Snipp3t

Spreadsheet Keyboard

Sway.com

Translator

UrWeather

Windows Live Mail

Windows Live Writer

Windows Movie Maker

Windows Photo Gallery

Xbox and Windows Games published by Microsoft

Xbox Live

Xbox Music

Xbox Music Pass

Xbox Video

Windows 10 is not on that list. You do need to go a little out of out of your way to use Windows 10 without a Microsoft Account, and not as far out of your way as you needed to go in 8.1, but it's certainly doable.

Windows 10 is not on that list. You do need to go a little out of out of your way to use Windows 10 without a Microsoft Account, and not as far out of your way as you needed to go in 8.1, but it's certainly doable.

Not having an account does seem to do little to mitigate data being sent to Microsoft. You prevent some of it, but there is still more being sent.

I rebuilt my PC a few days ago. Decided to use Linux for the OS solely because of all the bullplop surrounding Win 10.

I never liked it the few times I experimented before, but at this point things have matured to where it's a good enough replacement that I don't expect to go back to MS.

You are forgetting the part where data gets lifted from you. That does affect you.

Lifting!? My good sir, my data is staying right where it is thank you. And if I were using windows 10, it would drop, if anything, right into the lap of Microsoft. There shall be no lifting or dropping of data in this household, plus I think OSHA won't allow it. Don't quote me on it, though.

Yep... Microsoft... inventing new and better ways to control you and what you do.

Wait until internet governance really steps up, and you find yourself shut down for the day because you've spent your daily allotment of time playing KSP (or whatever) already. It's coming. The framework for it is already in place... it was given away this past year to the UN, and the UN will control it. It will roll out a little bit at a time.

Of course, we can't discuss it here... politics and all that ya know.

One, wouldn't affect me at all, I don't steal. Two, the the Stasi is East Germany, after ww2, so no Godwin's law.

i dont steal games, but i do like to strip out the drm from games that ive purchased, usually for usability constraints. for example the huge collection of cds for 90s games that i have, those have to be virtualized because my rig has no optical drive (which i consider obsolete). for some games which i can break cd locks with 3rd party patch, i use that so i can just run them directly from the hard drive without keeping a virtual disc on file (they take up a lot of drive space). in some very rare cases i will use pre-cracked versions of software (of which i own a disc) downloaded from irreputable sources, usually when the drm is excessively evil (like starforce). i believe this falls under fair use.

i dont like having custom hardware and drivers being locked out (which it kind of is already, and is why i keep my system in test signing mode). there are some open source virtual drivers i like to use, but in order for one to create windows drivers apparently one has to pay ms for the privilege. this is one of those things i really dont like about windows. once again i find myself really looking forward to reactos beta.

Edited by Nuke

Yeah, it does affect us, it lets us get personalized search results :P

That still sounds like you get the short end of the stick.

Lifting!? My good sir, my data is staying right where it is thank you. And if I were using windows 10, it would drop, if anything, right into the lap of Microsoft. There shall be no lifting or dropping of data in this household, plus I think OSHA won't allow it. Don't quote me on it, though.

Leaked, stolen. Choose your poison, call it what you want. Your data gets collected by a company for its own interests, not yours.

One, wouldn't affect me at all, I don't steal.

Agreed, same here.

Microsoft sells a excellent product, they defend their work in a reasonable way.

Windows 10 is no harm for consumers... errm,... products...

One, wouldn't affect me at all, I don't steal. Two, the the Stasi is East Germany, after ww2, so no Godwin's law.

I said any variation of it, which means no unjust comparisons to dictatorships, secret police or ruthless authoritarian regimes.

I don't pirate games, but on several occasions I was prevented from playing games I'd legitimately bought by faulty DRM. As a result, I violently hate DRM, and won't buy games from sources that use it. So the idea that some third party might deny me access to something I've bought based on a false accusation makes me pretty angry in itself.

Still, it's important to keep in mind that the internet is prone to over-reacting to things, so I'm not ready to form a torch-and-pitchfork mob just yet. :D

Using Godwin's Law, or any variation of it, automatically means you lose the argument, with few exceptions. *snip*

Well yeah, you are right, it would be true if i would be arguing but guess what, i am not :D

I'm just expressing my feelings towards W10 and that you can like or not, i really don't care :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.