[WIP][1.3.1] North Kerbin Dynamics - Nuclear Bombs and Heavy Ordnance Pack (and other things) v0.84b

harpwner

On 12/19/2015 at 6:42 AM, Acea said:

How about AK-130 naval gun? A dual-barrel turret with a rate of fire of 45 rpm each barrel

Ohohohohohoho yes, I saw that thing and thought 'it's perfect :0.0:'

On 12/19/2015 at 9:38 AM, andreasblom said:

Suggestion

A nuclear agm and a nuclear anti radiation missile for clearing airbases

I mostly do things that exist in real life with a specific model and everything, so one of those I probably won't do unless I find some actual nuclear AGMs or Anti-rad missiles. 

On 12/19/2015 at 2:29 PM, NuclearNut said:

Could we by any chance have lower yield nuclear ordinance?  Like the W48 for the 155 mm gun or a M29 that can fire M338 rounds?

Regardless, time to make a "CAS" plane armed with a Kompensator to strike fear into those capitalist pig-dogs.

certainly, however that's mostly future plans because I'm focusing on remodels and anti-tank guns and the sort... maybe a new variant for the artillery but not yet I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, minepagan said:

Any chance of some torpedoes, now that missiles do not (to my knowledge) explode underwater? Those would be....fun.....

And (more inline with the rest of the mod), how 'bout some nuclear depth charges?

Torpedoes, hmmmmm... well I think mainly that's an Acea thing but hey, I'll add some

also, those depth charges I don't think so... again I usually do things that exist in real life, as I said to Andre, maybe

3 hours ago, harpwner said:

also, those depth charges I don't think so... again I usually do things that exist in real life, as I said to Andre, maybe

Yep, they did exist, and there are a few to choose from

Air Dropped

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_101_Lulu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B57_nuclear_bomb

Ship deployed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_90_nuclear_bomb

These are just American ones, I don't know what the Soviets had

They also had nuclear land and sea mines, as ridiculous as that may sound

land: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Atomic_Demolition_Munition

sea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-4_Atomic_Demolition_Munition

Edited by Yobob
moar links

Hey, I cant seem to get the MIRV to attach to anything. Ive tried pretty much every part in existance and it refuses to attach, probably because it is rotated sideways. Problem is, I cant rotate it until it is placed.

EDIT: Nevermind, I managed to get it to connect to the small RCS tank. It would be easier if we could attach it directly to a surface though

Edited by Yobob

I would also like nuclear depth charges :P especially if they exist ;):D

also  A-10 Depleted uranium/explosive cannon rounds sound amazing if you ask me. Would be a great addition.

What do people think of something like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_13_nuclear_bomb

It says an estimated blast of 32 Kilotons

Or a mark 24 ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_24_nuclear_bomb

Edited by Ratboyslim

On 20/12/2015 at 7:43 PM, harpwner said:

I mostly do things that exist in real life with a specific model and everything, so one of those I probably won't do unless I find some actual nuclear AGMs or Anti-rad missiles. 

On 20/12/2015 at 10:16 PM, andreasblom said:

Agm 86 B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-86_ALCM#AGM-86B

could use gps instead of TERCOM

Alternatively, if you don't want to use the BDarmoury model, the AGM-129A was also armed with a nuclear warhead. Personally, I'd also quite like to see one of these as I'm currently using MIRV-tipped stock built missiles as standoff missiles, but this means relinquishing control of my aircraft whilst in flight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-129_ACM

So, probably a stupid question, but how do you get MIRV warheads to impact detonate?

I'd like to have my missile detonate on impact, but it's not working at all... I have a weapon manager, I select the warhead, I set the trigger to active, but when I ram my targets the warhead doesn't go off. Am I missing something?

45 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

So, probably a stupid question, but how do you get MIRV warheads to impact detonate?

I'd like to have my missile detonate on impact, but it's not working at all... I have a weapon manager, I select the warhead, I set the trigger to active, but when I ram my targets the warhead doesn't go off. Am I missing something?

The MIRVs are meant to detonate after launch, they actually have to detach like a regular missile... and like how real MIRVs work. They are GPS guided too.

49 minutes ago, harpwner said:

The MIRVs are meant to detonate after launch, they actually have to detach like a regular missile... and like how real MIRVs work. They are GPS guided too.

Well yes, I understand how MIRV's are supposed to work. My question was whether I could use them as an impact detonated warhead in addition to their function as a MIRV. Sadly the answer is no, which doesn't really make sense. AFAIK basically every one of the nuclear weapons represented in this mod should have some form of impact fuse, airburst fuse, and remote detonator...

On that note, might I request more fusing options for the warheads then? Being able to toggle them through different fuse types would be pretty neat IMO, and open up a lot of build options when using them.

(Love the mod BTW)

10 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

Well yes, I understand how MIRV's are supposed to work. My question was whether I could use them as an impact detonated warhead in addition to their function as a MIRV. Sadly the answer is no, which doesn't really make sense. AFAIK basically every one of the nuclear weapons represented in this mod should have some form of impact fuse, airburst fuse, and remote detonator...

On that note, might I request more fusing options for the warheads then? Being able to toggle them through different fuse types would be pretty neat IMO, and open up a lot of build options when using them.

(Love the mod BTW)

the reason why that's not in is because BDArmory weapons require arming first, I can code that in at some point but with base functionality it's not possible unless I use the weaker explosive part module

2 minutes ago, harpwner said:

the reason why that's not in is because BDArmory weapons require arming first, I can code that in at some point but with base functionality it's not possible unless I use the weaker explosive part module

Ahh, I see... that's unfortunate but quite understandable.

On 12/20/2015 at 1:43 PM, harpwner said:

Torpedoes, hmmmmm... well I think mainly that's an Acea thing but hey, I'll add some

I was thinking more modern torps, Acea is only doing WWII stuff.

Also, there WERE nuclear depth charges - the S-3 Viking had them in it's arsenal (until recently).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_depth_bomb

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2015 at 2:19 PM, minepagan said:

Also, there WERE nuclear depth charges - the S-3 Viking had them in it's arsenal (until recently).

Nothing against you, but what was the point in making nuclear depth charges? Like really? No wonder 99% of people don't know about them. The only other thing that could also be questioned was the small Nuclear munitions that were devolved in the event that America was invaded, to basically tactically nuke key locations, and so that paratroopers could drop into Russia and nuke certain facilities. Now that sounds a little paranoid.

7 hours ago, NightHawk114 said:

Nothing against you, but what was the point in making nuclear depth charges? Like really? No wonder 99% of people don't know about them. The only other thing that could also be questioned was the small Nuclear munitions that were devolved in the event that America was invaded, to basically tactically nuke key locations, and so that paratroopers could drop into Russia and nuke certain facilities. Now that sounds a little paranoid.

The point is twofold.  First, the shockwave does more damage to enemy ships at a distance if detonated underwater as it tends to cause hull ruptures etc more effectively so it could be used to remove larger groups of enemy ships with a smaller charge than if you were to use a surface/airburst nuclear bomb.  Secondly, it can occasionally be quite hard to pinpoint the exact location of enemy submarines, a nuclear depth charge being a nuclear depth charge it means that you can get a pretty much guaranteed kill of the enemy sub.

The personnel transported Atomic Demolition Munitions (ADM) also had their own interesting uses.  Due to their small size and exceptional yield for their mass (compared to C4, they are fecal matter compared to other nukes) their use as landmines would allow a small squad of troops to make a truly massive minefield, they could also be used to easily demolish structures such as bridges, dams, and dikes in scorched earth situations.  And, of course, they could be used to sabotage enemy factories etc.

1 hour ago, NuclearNut said:

The personnel transported Atomic Demolition Munitions (ADM) also had their own interesting uses.  Due to their small size and exceptional yield for their mass (compared to C4, they are fecal matter compared to other nukes) their use as landmines would allow a small squad of troops to make a truly massive minefield, they could also be used to easily demolish structures such as bridges, dams, and dikes in scorched earth situations.  And, of course, they could be used to sabotage enemy factories etc.

Exactly, you dial a W54 down to 10 tons and you can destroy just about anything. And you might survive the detonation too.

I definitely wouldn't want to be the poor SOB stuck humping 150lbs of active nuke, though.

14 hours ago, Prometheus said:

Exactly, you dial a W54 down to 10 tons and you can destroy just about anything. And you might survive the detonation too.

I definitely wouldn't want to be the poor SOB stuck humping 150lbs of active nuke, though.

Plus, you get a nice area denial effect afterwards, well for troops without CBRN uniforms that is, heck, even if they have full CBRN uniforms.  CBRN suits tend to weigh a lot and are bulky.  Of course for tanks this is not a problem, but still...

I wonder what the lowest possible mass for a nuclear warhead with reasonable yield is.

Dunno if this has been requested yet, but since you are doing plugins it might be possible. 

Have you ever considered making a Napalm Bomb (Specifically, the BLU-1/b)? It could be an AoE type weapon that applies heat over time, similar to the Airborne Laser 

incin.jpg

Might not work, but hey, its worth suggesting i guess.

On 12/25/2015 at 2:54 PM, NuclearNut said:

Plus, you get a nice area denial effect afterwards, well for troops without CBRN uniforms that is, heck, even if they have full CBRN uniforms.  CBRN suits tend to weigh a lot and are bulky.  Of course for tanks this is not a problem, but still...

I wonder what the lowest possible mass for a nuclear warhead with reasonable yield is.

About 150lbs, as it happens. The W54, and by extension the M388, are considered the smallest practical nuclear warheads.

As for CBRN troops, AFAIK most AFV's and/or IFV's have NBC protection, so that would mitigate some issues with the bulk and weight.

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't spoke much, or really got anything done... You see, Christmas has been great, and I've spent record time with my family (lol). This also means I haven't had the time to come here and get things done. Progress has been made toward the blast wave (as I now have a possible method) but it's not implemented at all and only a couple fixes have been done in total, expect work to resume after new years, or if it happens soon enough, a complete overhaul for 1.1 when that comes out. I also have been hard at work for a series that is coming soon, the trailer of which is in production and uh... well taking a lot of time (It shall be spectacular!). If you aren't aware of the series it will branch off of, check out my channel and look for Kerbal Konflict. I'll provide a link to the trailer for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xl-uuClWIk (I know it's pretty crappy, I've improved my skills since then so the upcoming trailer will be much better lol)

Anywho, down to business eh?

On 12/23/2015 at 3:19 PM, minepagan said:

I can give those a shot when the time comes, and at least for now I've officially decided nuclear depth charges aren't going to be a part of my pack for now.

On 12/26/2015 at 4:25 PM, Jakokidda123 said:

Dunno if this has been requested yet, but since you are doing plugins it might be possible. 

Have you ever considered making a Napalm Bomb (Specifically, the BLU-1/b)? It could be an AoE type weapon that applies heat over time, similar to the Airborne Laser 

incin.jpg

Might not work, but hey, its worth suggesting i guess.

Napalm is planned to be another explosive type that I will add in with the nuclear shockwave effect. basically, it'll work almost exactly how InfiniteDice's skillful worked (partly because he's the one who helped me figure out HOW to do it :P)

22 hours ago, sashan said:

I love your Mk.45 :P Also, a request, Bushmaster 2 ship-mounted gun (google it).
980828_827597390696261_26086484523905793

Bushmaster it is! also loving that excrements, if I could do something like that... well the Dreage from my series wouldn't look like a pile of garbage with guns xD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.