[WIP][1.3.1] North Kerbin Dynamics - Nuclear Bombs and Heavy Ordnance Pack (and other things) v0.84b

harpwner

This is a small suggestion for the next update of this mod: The explosions with mushroom clouds only looks realistic on the surface of Kerbin, so maybe remove the bottom of the cloud if detonated in the air, or just a big-ass explosion without cloud if detonated in space, a weaker shorter cloud on planets with thin atmospheres, and vice versa on thicker atmosphere planets?

19 hours ago, hanhan658 said:

This is a small suggestion for the next update of this mod: The explosions with mushroom clouds only looks realistic on the surface of Kerbin, so maybe remove the bottom of the cloud if detonated in the air, or just a big-ass explosion without cloud if detonated in space, a weaker shorter cloud on planets with thin atmospheres, and vice versa on thicker atmosphere planets?

I've actually been working on an air and space detonation system for a bit, but am trying to find the most effective was to measure what the atmosphere is... still not fully familiar with ksp code :P 

Also my explosions are set models, so I may end up, at one point, creating a separate file that accounts for explosion yield and generates stats from that like I am already working on for blast radius and power.

But as I brainstorm... I hear Elite 2.4 came out...

Edit: I know I've been out for a while, more for motivation than anything else. I have this thing where I cycle which games I have interest in and KSP is kind out of cycle... but this shouldn't last much longer!

Edited by harpwner
explanation for why I disappeared

1 hour ago, harpwner said:

I've actually been working on an air and space detonation system for a bit, but am trying to find the most effective was to measure what the atmosphere is... still not fully familiar with ksp code :P 

Also my explosions are set models, so I may end up, at one point, creating a separate file that accounts for explosion yield and generates stats from that like I am already working on for blast radius and power.

But as I brainstorm... I hear Elite 2.4 came out...

Edit: I know I've been out for a while, more for motivation than anything else. I have this thing where I cycle which games I have interest in and KSP is kind out of cycle... but this shouldn't last much longer!

Take a look at my code it may have some useful things in it for you to use for air and space detonations as far as altitude stuff.

EUREKA!

So it turns out that I have managed to fix the problem where explosions would destroy you outside of their radius. The mod should be released sometime either tonight or tomorrow. I'm just doing cleanup as now it's in a stable state.

Things to-do:

- Make sure this issue isn't present with any nukes

- Make sure all code works fine (save napalm, the problem child)

- Put it on curse, they offer a rewards program

- ???

- Profit

No new parts sadly, but I have set up a framework for variable yields!

9 hours ago, harpwner said:

EUREKA!

So it turns out that I have managed to fix the problem where explosions would destroy you outside of their radius. The mod should be released sometime either tonight or tomorrow. I'm just doing cleanup as now it's in a stable state.

Hey there @harpwner glad to see you are back. I wanted to check to see if you were also testing with PRE (Physics Range Extender) installed. I know JR had been working on some improvements / fixes that may have an effect on your testing.

PRE is pretty much required for BDA (and may be merged eventually) as we have started to extend the ranges of weapons and radars.

8 hours ago, gomker said:

Hey there @harpwner glad to see you are back. I wanted to check to see if you were also testing with PRE (Physics Range Extender) installed. I know JR had been working on some improvements / fixes that may have an effect on your testing.

PRE is pretty much required for BDA (and may be merged eventually) as we have started to extend the ranges of weapons and radars.

One of the basic things I've been doing lately is testing with all the latest things installed. That being said, I have been absent for a while so I'll do another pass tonight to be sure everything is up to date and works before I will release.

Also double reminder, the mod will be moved to curse so you can bash me if the front page link doesn't change when I do so.

I have now put up the mod on curse, it is updated... However not yet publicly available since Curse moderators must approve it.

Patience is key, I hope it'll be done tomorrow so that I can update this mod page and post a change-log.

Thank you everyone for waiting so long, I know this update won't be impressive but on my to do list for the next is something that this update has kick started.

Hint: The user will have MORE POWER!

HOLY CRAP THAT WAS FAST

here is the link: https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/north-kerbin-dynamics-v0-84

Changes are simple:
= fixed explosions destroying planes outside of radius (at least in my environment)

= fixed parts of blast wave

= some code streamlining

- removed napalm because it wasn't working!!!!

Upcoming:

= reworks on some models

= reworks in code

= reworks the way explosions are created

+ make explosion fx completely code-based

+ make modular nuclear weaponry

+ more things to play with

Edited by harpwner
Approved!

2 hours ago, Acea said:

Nice to see you back and congrats!

Issues found so far: MBM and PNG textures with the same names exist under MIRV folder

That's a bit less of an issue and more of a whoopsie, I think the PNG version is the one that needs to be deleted...

However, this does bring up a good point, there is a lot I need to do in terms of file management (and something I need to triple check when I return)

Conversions to DDS need to happen to help speed up loading times and decrease the stress created during explosions, and I actually only extensively looked at nukes since the update, so I need to look at the turrets and normal bombs to be sure they still work fine... they sort of slipped my mind since the game breaking fx bug.

Any more issue reporting is much appreciated, I do work alone for the moment after all, and things will slip under the radar whether it be due to time constraints or being too tired to actually notice any issues.

2 hours ago, harpwner said:

That's a bit less of an issue and more of a whoopsie, I think the PNG version is the one that needs to be deleted...

However, this does bring up a good point, there is a lot I need to do in terms of file management (and something I need to triple check when I return)

Conversions to DDS need to happen to help speed up loading times and decrease the stress created during explosions, and I actually only extensively looked at nukes since the update, so I need to look at the turrets and normal bombs to be sure they still work fine... they sort of slipped my mind since the game breaking fx bug.

Any more issue reporting is much appreciated, I do work alone for the moment after all, and things will slip under the radar whether it be due to time constraints or being too tired to actually notice any issues.

Actually PNG versions are quicker to load and easier to convert to DDS flawlessly, MBM files always cause trouble when I try to help with DDS conversion.

Anyway looking forward to future updates and more cool weapons XD

On 01/07/2017 at 7:19 PM, Next_Star_Industries said:

Everyone having trouble with nuke explosions not working.

First be sure the install directory is correct. It should be GameData/North Kerbin Weaponry not GameData/North Kerbin Weaponry v0.83

Second be sure you have BDArmoryContinued v 2.1.2 installed, BDAc also requires PhysicsRangeExtender v1.4 be installed.

Third North Kerbin Dynamics also requires C.A.L. v0.2.4 be installed for turret bullets. 

Fourth the latest version of Module Manager is required as well..

Hope this helps out. :) I see everyone saying it's broken and there is nothing wrong with this mod besides the install path. You must have all the mods installed correctly for this mod to work correctly.

I've done everything correctly and the effect is still not showing, I've tried installing with CKAN and no difference, I'm using NKD 0.84,BDArmoryContined v2.1.2, CAL v.0.2.4 and PhysicsRangeExtender v1.4 here's list of everything in my gamedata folder

Spoiler

ASET

Astrogator

BDArmory

BDArmory Weapons Extension

BetterBurnTime

BetterTimeWarp

CAL

Chatterer

DistantObject

Firespitter

FMRS

FShangarExtender

HullCameraVDS

JSI

Kaboom

KerbalEngineer

KerbalJointReinforcement

KerbalReusabilityExpansion

Kerbaltek

KerbinSide

Kopernicus

ModularFlightIntegrator

MP_Nazari

North Kerbin Weaponry

OPM

PhysicsRangeExtender

PlanetShine

RealPlume

RealPlume-stock

RecoveryController

ReentryParticleEffect

ShipEffectsContinued

SmokeScreen

Squad

TakeCommand

TextureReplacerReplaced

ThroughTheEyes

Trajectories

TriggerTech

TweakScale

VesselView

ModuleManager.2.8.1.dll

ModuleManager.ConfigCache

ModuleManager.COnfigSHA

ModuleManager.Physics

ModuleManager.TechTree

Weirdly, the effect and damage of the Air - 2 Genie Nuclear Missile work but it's the only one.

1 hour ago, k0spwn said:

I've done everything correctly and the effect is still not showing, I've tried installing with CKAN and no difference, I'm using NKD 0.84,BDArmoryContined v2.1.2, CAL v.0.2.4 and PhysicsRangeExtender v1.4 here's list of everything in my gamedata folder

Reveal hidden contents

ASET

Astrogator

BDArmory

BetterBurnTime

BetterTimeWarp

CAL

Chatterer

DistantObject

Firespitter

FMRS

FShangarExtender

HullCameraVDS

JSI

Kaboom

KerbalEngineer

KerbalJointReinforcement

Kerbaltek

KerbinSide

Kopernicus

ModularFlightIntegrator

MP_Nazari

North Kerbin Weaponry

OPM

PhysicsRangeExtender

PlanetShine

RealPlume

RealPlume-stock

RecoveryController

ReentryParticleEffect

ShipEffectsContinued

SmokeScreen

Squad

TakeCommand

TextureReplacerReplaced

ThroughTheEyes

Trajectories

TriggerTech

TweakScale

VesselView

ModuleManager.2.8.1.dll

ModuleManager.COnfigSHA

ModuleManager.Physics

ModuleManager.TechTree

Weirdly, the effect and damage of the Air - 2 Genie Nuclear Missile work but it's the only one.

Did you remove the version number from the NKD folder?

2 hours ago, k0spwn said:

Reveal hidden contents

ASET

Astrogator

BDArmory

BetterBurnTime

BetterTimeWarp

CAL

Chatterer

DistantObject

Firespitter

FMRS

FShangarExtender

HullCameraVDS

JSI

Kaboom

KerbalEngineer

KerbalJointReinforcement

Kerbaltek

KerbinSide

Kopernicus

ModularFlightIntegrator

MP_Nazari

North Kerbin Weaponry

OPM

PhysicsRangeExtender

PlanetShine

RealPlume

RealPlume-stock

RecoveryController

ReentryParticleEffect

ShipEffectsContinued

SmokeScreen

Squad

TakeCommand

TextureReplacerReplaced

ThroughTheEyes

Trajectories

TriggerTech

TweakScale

VesselView

ModuleManager.2.8.1.dll

ModuleManager.COnfigSHA

ModuleManager.Physics

ModuleManager.TechTree

Exactly the same here. Been running the same mod setup and same KSP version (1.3.0) for other versions of NKD and BDAc, made sure all dependencies are there including removal of version number from the nkd folder, however only nuclear effect that works is the Genie. Others seem to explode with a BDA explosion, just with 0 damage and no mushroom cloud :(. I'd be hugely grateful for any solutions!

Always make sure you are running the latest version of everything, my addon is now up on Curse and is currently 1 version ahead of what has been mentioned previously. I have, at that point, fixed the file name issue because that was a dumb issue anyway.

22 minutes ago, harpwner said:

Always make sure you are running the latest version of everything, my addon is now up on Curse and is currently 1 version ahead of what has been mentioned previously. I have, at that point, fixed the file name issue because that was a dumb issue anyway.

Latest version of everything except BDAc ?

YES! It works ! Thank you very much ! Just got to update everything to the latest version

Edited by k0spwn

hey i cant find my weapon manager in bdarmoury with north kerbin dynamics i use 1.3 mods for 1.3 kerbal space program and i installed it in two ways first i copied north kerbin dynamics to the bdarmoury folder inside of game data couldent find weapon manager then i deleted bdarmoury and reinstalled it 1.3 and put the folders inside of north kerbin dynamics into freshly installed 1.3 bdarmoury still no weapon manager so please help ;.;

ok thx i will try it

Edited by loves ksp mods

You don't want to be slapping the NKD folder inside the BDA folder, you want to be placing it in your gamedata folder.  Placing it in the BDA folder will just break NKD and I suspect probably BDA as well.  Try putting it in the gamedata folder instead and see if that fixes your issue.

22 hours ago, loves ksp mods said:

hey i cant find my weapon manager in bdarmoury with north kerbin dynamics i use 1.3 mods for 1.3 kerbal space program and i installed it in two ways first i copied north kerbin dynamics to the bdarmoury folder inside of game data couldent find weapon manager then i deleted bdarmoury and reinstalled it 1.3 and put the folders inside of north kerbin dynamics into freshly installed 1.3 bdarmoury still no weapon manager so please help ;.;

ok thx i will try it

First: don't do anything with the files other then transfer whats in the mods Gamedata folder inside the KSP gamedata folder, You don't have to put one mod folder into the other, just put what comes with each mod under the Gamedata folder into the KSP's gamedata folder
Second: the weapon manager is near the bottom of the BDarmory list in the hanger (as far as I know) and you can't search for it (at-least I can't) because its not part of the "search" program yet
Third: Ask @SpannerMonkey(smce) or @harpwner as they are more knowledgeable on KSP's inner workings

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.