[WIP][1.3.1] North Kerbin Dynamics - Nuclear Bombs and Heavy Ordnance Pack (and other things) v0.84b

harpwner

Harpwner, first of all, thanks for the truly awesome mod. I have been playing with it for a while now and I just love it, especially the MIRV - precisely dropping something from orbit is one of my weaknesses :) However, I have a problem with it - when the MIRV starts slowing down in atmosphere, it begins to jerk its nose very violently. Once, when I tried to phys-timewarp, the MIRV even flipped over, losing speed and falling short of the target. Could you please fix it? Otherwise, the RV is great - accurate, destructive and small. Looking forward for your reply!

Harpwner, first of all, thanks for the truly awesome mod. I have been playing with it for a while now and I just love it, especially the MIRV - precisely dropping something from orbit is one of my weaknesses :) However, I have a problem with it - when the MIRV starts slowing down in atmosphere, it begins to jerk its nose very violently. Once, when I tried to phys-timewarp, the MIRV even flipped over, losing speed and falling short of the target. Could you please fix it? Otherwise, the RV is great - accurate, destructive and small. Looking forward for your reply!

Good new and bad news

Bad news is that I'm not 100% sure on how I can fix it...

Good news is that in 0.5 (set to release by next weekend) will have a full nuclear bomb rework with more real world values, and so the MIRV will also be completely remade, maybe fixing this glitch in the process.

Aside from all that, thanks for the comment, and I'm happy this mod is being received so well. If you have any more issues/suggestions then by all means post it!

Good new and bad news

Bad news is that I'm not 100% sure on how I can fix it...

Good news is that in 0.5 (set to release by next weekend) will have a full nuclear bomb rework with more real world values, and so the MIRV will also be completely remade, maybe fixing this glitch in the process.

Aside from all that, thanks for the comment, and I'm happy this mod is being received so well. If you have any more issues/suggestions then by all means post it!

Great, thanks for clearing this one out.

You should change the picture on Kerbal Stuff. I'd recommend the nuke, as it looks cooler.

I'll do that at some point, I hate the picture there anyway it's just that I'm too lazy to be honest.

I like the 1st set more.

The second set is now being employed for Hydrogen Bombs, anything that's just a fission weapon will have a more generic explosion (modified version of the first set)

it will be longer than expected to fully recreate them, but 2 new nukes, the B61 and Castle Bravo (air dropped), will be added with the nuke revamp.

I love this mod. I'm doing some nuclear tests with it in Kerbin's desert and I was wondering whether it would be possible to detonate nukes manually beside from impact with the ground. I've tried various ways so far, like causing an explosion near it and even launching other BDA projectiles upon it, but nothing but the ground seems to set it off.

If I can set it off manually I can try out air and sea bursts.

I love this mod. I'm doing some nuclear tests with it in Kerbin's desert and I was wondering whether it would be possible to detonate nukes manually beside from impact with the ground. I've tried various ways so far, like causing an explosion near it and even launching other BDA projectiles upon it, but nothing but the ground seems to set it off.

If I can set it off manually I can try out air and sea bursts.

the only real way is having some kind of CIWS auto-fire upon it after it drops, to my knowledge nothing in BDArmory allows remote detonation. Trust me you wouldn't want it anyway, since the explosion effect is only meant to look good when it explodes on the ground... there is no air burst or space explosion anyway... that'll change when BD adds that functionality

One thing he could do is make a detonator device like I do with my Tsar Bob-a nuclear powered cruise missiles. What you do is put it in a MK-3 bay and leave some space in front of it. You then set it to the maximum forward decouple speed and set that to the abort function. When you press abort it will launch the nuclear bomb into the front of the bay causing it to detonate. Simple, effective, and great for missiles.

a) are the explosions scaled, as Kerbin is to Earth?

B) are the explosions of nuclear bomb in vacuum realistic (no mushroom cloud, just flash and bright blob)?

A: no they are neither simply scaled to be as proportionate as possible with the physics range limitations

B: none are designed for vacuum use and have not been set up for it

Quick Update!

Nothing big though sorry :/

0.4.1:

-Updated for C.A.L Compatibility (now required)

-also fixed the GSh's ammo, it's 23mm now!

Thank you for putting together the Community Ammunition Library Prometheus, it is a great idea to have a shared ammunition library, helps with compatibility and usability. This mod now requires the Community Ammunition Library which can be found here (and on the front page)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/135344-WIP-1-0-4-C-A-L-BDArmory-Community-Ammunition-Library?p=2217878#post2217878

I feel like you guys deserve a progress report on the nuke revamp... so here's a pretty good GIF (NOTE: I accelerated it 4x because the clouds from the nuke hang for about a minute for effect) demonstrating my progress, this is a 340kt B61's explosion.

http://gph.is/1h4CNJd

(I'm still getting used to gifs)

Edited by harpwner

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.