[WIP][1.3.1] North Kerbin Dynamics - Nuclear Bombs and Heavy Ordnance Pack (and other things) v0.84b

harpwner

27 minutes ago, Voyager2 said:

Is it possible that you could actually edit asteroids and base their explosion blast radius on their size? (Type A being something like a 15kt nuclear weapon and Type E being something greater than Tsar)

I'll make some edited cfgs of the current squad asteroids if I get to it

so far, the KBW explosive module is a success, just an update, that an update is relatively soon

15 hours ago, harpwner said:

I'll make some edited cfgs of the current squad asteroids if I get to it

so far, the KBW explosive module is a success, just an update, that an update is relatively soon

I decided to try and edit the .cfg file for the asteroids. I gave it the explosive size of Castle Bravo and used Hyperedit to grapple a vehicle to it and launch it at kerbin. In order to actually fire the asteroid you right click it and click "launch missile", the ending result is either the asteroid air-bursting due to the atmospheric re-entry heat or hitting the ground and then detonating. But either way I managed to have it successfully work.

58 minutes ago, harpwner said:

I'll save it for 0.7, since 0.6 is close and I don't need any more setbacks... really want to make the asteroid though now

Well, it was surprisingly easy for me to do, I just added the castle bravo modules to the PotatoRoid.cfg file, then I created an effects folder to the squad folder for the mushroom cloud, finally, I just added the MOAB sound file to the sounds folder in the squad folder. It probably took me less than 5 to 10 minutes.

Ever considered a Casaba-Howitzer?  Basically using the shaped nuclear pulse warhead from an Orion drive as a directed nuclear-pumped x-ray laser.   We're sorely lacking in space-weapons for BD, and I just thought it might fit in well with the rest of your pack ;) 

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#id--Nukes_In_Space--Nuclear_Shaped_Charges

13 minutes ago, Voyager2 said:

Well, it was surprisingly easy for me to do, I just added the castle bravo modules to the PotatoRoid.cfg file, then I created an effects folder to the squad folder for the mushroom cloud, finally, I just added the MOAB sound file to the sounds folder in the squad folder. It probably took me less than 5 to 10 minutes.

yeah but... ya know, I go above and beyond. This means making a whole new blast effect, and new plugin to go with it

Final refinements are being made now, just aesthetics... the KBW (Kinetic Bombardment Weapon) has been finished, and with it the first plugin of NKD. It scales damage based on the velocity of the weapon, only available view the ModuleKineticBombarder module that is similar to the BDExplosivePart module (inherits). The blast radius and power is a base that you want (the example file from the KBW has a radius of 1 and power of 4) and it multiplies slowly as speed builds (about every 10m/s it increases by what you set it by). Feel free to modify the config and give feedback once it is released... I'm doing final tests to balance it out... and to give the module custom explosions since the ExplosivePart module didn't support custom explosion models

On 12/7/2015, 8:03:23, Chris P. Bacon said:

Ever considered a Casaba-Howitzer?  Basically using the shaped nuclear pulse warhead from an Orion drive as a directed nuclear-pumped x-ray laser.   We're sorely lacking in space-weapons for BD, and I just thought it might fit in well with the rest of your pack ;) 

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#id--Nukes_In_Space--Nuclear_Shaped_Charges

After 0.6 drops, I'm going to throw on the coding and start trying to make a plugin specific to a few of my weapons. The first one will arrive in 0.6 (the kinetic bombarder, which is ready) and afterwards, the Casaba will get it's attention through a custom blast that will be  a version of the nuclear explosion, but more directional and directly from the gun.

UPDATE 0.6 RELEASED NOW!!!

0.6:

+ Added Karl Gerat
+ Added M198 Howitzer
+ Added M1 8-inch Howitzer
+ Added 2A3 Kompensator 2P Nuclear Howitzer
+ Added Ohka
+ Added Exocet
+ Added V-1
+ Added KBW (Kinetic Bombardment Weapon)
+ Re-Added MIRV
+ Added first part module! Kinetic Bombarder

- Withheld a few things that you haven't even seen, just thought I'd tell you
- Decided to wait a bit longer to add parachutes to Tsar and MOAB

= Fixed Ammo Types
= Included C.A.L in the download
= Fixed multiple explosion effects
= Repaired woes with the MIRV (hence it being readded)
= fixed up some other stuff I already forgot about
= Some retexturing (Exocet, Tomahawk, 12k bomb, Ohka, V-1, Tsar, MIRV)
= Began search for RGBPeter (he's disappeared)

Thank you everyone for being so patient for this huge update, it took a long time because I expected RGBPeter to get back, so I lazed with modelling. It's been a month now without a word so I finished what I had and released it. The beloved MIRV is back with some company, the first part module has arrive allowing scaled damage with velocity for the KBW, and my best modelling job (The Kompensator) is here with a ton of polys and really good looks.

Please report any woes you have at your leisure, I am releasing it late and haven't had too many bug fixes so one's bound to pop up.

Would you consider using DDS textures? They save space and load faster, and we have a converter for that.

EDIT: It needs all to-be-converted textures in RGB/RGBA format or they'll be skipped

Edited by Acea

I will do that later, it was late and alot of things had to be released... So I made last second decision to release with a few very minute things left out

0.6.1 will be released somtime with those fixes and additions

7 hours ago, DanielCobra said:

Ooh, many new things to go boom, Jeb approves :D

Yet... The MIRV still twitches and jerks upon reentry, like it used to before.

Still, great work, Harpwner, you are awesome :cool:

Thanks!

But that's odd... The MIRV was fixed, is it less jerky at least?

I'll check it out in a few

13 hours ago, harpwner said:

Thanks!

But that's odd... The MIRV was fixed, is it less jerky at least?

I'll check it out in a few

I'll say yes, it starts jerking at lower altitudes. Should I have a test without all the mods except North Kerbin Weaponry?

6 hours ago, Acea said:

How does ModuleKineticBombarder calculate the impact power and radius?

I mean, expressed as a relationship between mass and velocity. I may need this as an additional function in NAS.

I have made a formula that's fairly simple (for balance purposes) that I will probably revisit and edit in the next couple updates.

The damage and radius are calculated differently, but for starters, you'll need to set a basePower and  a baseRadius. my KBW has a base of 5 and 5, this is multiplied then by the formula to get a result (something bigger will want a bigger base)

for power, it is multiplied by (0.5 * Part Mass * (0.1 * Part Velocity))

for radius, it is multiplied by (Part Velocity * 0.05) (this keeps the radius nice and small and not OP)

I also set the impact tolerance high for the part itself. It makes these calculations every update (not too intensive). In practice, it works pretty well... let's say there's an impact at 1800m/s and my weapon is 8 tons

Power: (0.5 * 8 *(0.1 * 1800)) -> (4 * (180)) -> 720 blast power

Radius: (1800 * 0.05) -> 90 blast radius

this of course is still pretty big, but that was way cut down from my test build, and keeps it not like a tsar from space. Feel free to use my module if you want

2 hours ago, DanielCobra said:

I'll say yes, it starts jerking at lower altitudes. Should I have a test without all the mods except North Kerbin Weaponry?

I didn't forget about you! Don't bother doing that, I think that may simply be a result of it making a lot of adjustments, the shaking is near un-fixable there. I'll try to dampen it but it will always exist sadly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.