[WIP][1.3.1] North Kerbin Dynamics - Nuclear Bombs and Heavy Ordnance Pack (and other things) v0.84b

harpwner

3 hours ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

@harpwner So the blastPower = tonnes of tnt equivalent?  I have been trying to figure out this call and what it represents.

I never said it was implimented yet, but I am working my way into code for a full rework of nukes.

3 hours ago, ArmchairPhysicist said:

From the values currently coded, arbitrary blastpower to kt is 350abp per 1.5 kiloton

Hope the nukes get fixed soon though, conventional icbms and MIRVed genies aren't cutting it

Again, not implimented yet.

And they aren't broken, I'm failing to replicate your scenarios within my test environment. The only times it doesn't work is when BDArmory is missing, or it's not properly installed. I have no other mods.

2 hours ago, Acea said:

Speaking of this, I've worked out a set of empirical formulas to calculate approximate power of my bombs. It's not that accurate but it works quite well.

[P = cannonShellPower ≈ 6 * m^(0.4) (m stands for the shell's TNT equivalent of bursting charge, kg)(Recommending 7.5 * m^(0.4) for 75 to 155 mm guns)]
[H = cannonShellHeat ≈ 10.5 * m^(0.4) (Recommending 13.125 * m^(0.4) for 75 to 155 mm guns)]
[R = cannonShellRadius ≈ 21 * m^(0.8) (Recommending 4.2 * m^(0.8) or 8.4 * m^(0.8) for medium to large caliber cannons)]

[P = 5.75 * m^(1/3) (Bombs & Missiles) (m stands for the shell's TNT equivalent of bursting charge, kg)]
[R = K * P (Bombs & Missiles, K ranges from 1.25 to 1.75), H=0.9 * P]

Hope that this can be a reference.

I've only thought so far of converting yield to blast radius, forgot completely about heat. I'll take a look at these.

I hunted down the like to the BDArmory release I'm using

https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BDArmory/releases/tag/v0.2.1.2

im also using KSP interstellar extended

Next step is to uninstall and reinstall, where did you get your version of BDArmory? It took me a while to find the version I have that works with 1.3, you might have a different setup 

1 hour ago, ArmchairPhysicist said:

Yes, it has no version number. It's simply gamedata>northkerbinweaponry.

Could it possibly be what version of BDArmory? I got mine from the latest release of BDArmory continued. 

It should be GameData/North Kerbin Weaponry with spaces and caps not northkerbinweaponry.

8 minutes ago, ArmchairPhysicist said:

I hunted down the like to the BDArmory release I'm using

https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BDArmory/releases/tag/v0.2.1.2

im also using KSP interstellar extended

Next step is to uninstall and reinstall, where did you get your version of BDArmory? It took me a while to find the version I have that works with 1.3, you might have a different setup 

I'm using CKAN to install BDArmoryContinued and it's the same version you have 2.1.2 Interstellar doesn't conflict with either mod.

@harpwner Is there a way to add a bright light flash to the nuke explosions like real world nuke explosions?

Edited by Next_Star_Industries

10 hours ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

I'm using CKAN to install BDArmoryContinued and it's the same version you have 2.1.2 Interstellar doesn't conflict with either mod.

@harpwner Is there a way to add a bright light flash to the nuke explosions like real world nuke explosions?

I've been trying to find a way to add a flash of light but still haven't figured out how. I can illuminate the terrain but flares simply don't work I've found. I'll keep trying periodically while coding the nuke rework but right now I've got nothin.

7 hours ago, harpwner said:

I've been trying to find a way to add a flash of light but still haven't figured out how. I can illuminate the terrain but flares simply don't work I've found. I'll keep trying periodically while coding the nuke rework but right now I've got nothin.

I'm trying as well, I see inside the bahaturret.dll there is coding for "Light" in the explosionfx code but having trouble figuring out what it's doing or how to use it. I'm not coding anything, I just like to know how stuff works, but a light flash would be excellent. :)

Harpwner could I possibly get details about how and from where you installed your mods? I can't find anyone else that has this problem, and I suspect it has something to do with my files. I installed everything manually, and have checked all of the common problems, but no luck

I hate that I keep bringing this up, but once I find where the problem is, other people that may encounter this can know how to fix it

Hello, I downloaded this mod with BdArmory and I love it to death but when I use anything different than the Big Boy there are little to no explosions. When there are explosions they are as big as the ones when you crash. I have the required mods and I believe installed them correctly. Also, when I use the Scrud missile or any guided missile, in fact, the controls aren't there and the Scrud just flys up into space. If I could get some help on this that would be great, thank you in advance.

5 minutes ago, GameLoverPerson said:

Hello, I downloaded this mod with BdArmory and I love it to death but when I use anything different than the Big Boy there are little to no explosions. When there are explosions they are as big as the ones when you crash. I have the required mods and I believe installed them correctly. Also, when I use the Scrud missile or any guided missile, in fact, the controls aren't there and the Scrud just flys up into space. If I could get some help on this that would be great, thank you in advance.

Oh, nvm saw another post on it and it works now, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, jrf said:

Does this mod work for the brand new version of BdArmory that completely changes how bullets work,

The mod will still work however, the bullets will fall back to "legacy" if the weapons are not configured with the new bullet types, which a list can be found here

https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BDArmory/blob/master/BahaTurret/Distribution/GameData/BDArmory/BulletDefs/Inventory.txt

@harpwner let me know if you have any questions about the new configurations for your turrets, Spanner did a fairly comprehensive list, if there is anything missing let us know so we can add it.

22 hours ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

"Light" in the explosionfx code

I preface this response noting I am a plugin code guy, not knowing much about part modeling or FX :)

That code is for creating the explosion effects for the missiles and bombs. There are textures pre made for these effects such as this : https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BDArmory/blob/master/BahaTurret/Distribution/GameData/BDArmory/Models/explosion/ExpTex2.png

For the "Light Flash" I think that would need to be a different kind of emitter or scene effect. A quick google search showed a few results on possible ways to do this

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/314145/create-white-flash-like-an-edit-on-whole-view.html

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/897157/make-whole-screen-white-flash-bang-effect-in-unity.html

*HELP*

So bd armory is at 1.2 but found someone who compiled it on github for 1.3 installed it and worked. Then added North kerbin dynamics mod folder into game data.. 

Currently all weapons are functioning, they're loading firing as intended but one small/big issue: my bombs doesn't blow up the world! What I mean is when i launch a nuke or MOAB or 41000lb dumb bomb it fires and explodes like a small snake eye bomb in bd armory. This is disappointing when I drop a MIRV onto the VAB and it has a blast radius of a hand grenade.

So to the lovely KSP community, any suggestions or ideas as to why its not working? Perhaps its my graphical settings? Should i try reinstalling the mods? Maybe wait till the official release of BD armory's 1.3 update? Idk how did u guys manage to get this mod w/ bd armory to work? Btw I dont have any other mods besides hyperedit. 

10 hours ago, Spaceengineers said:

*HELP*

So bd armory is at 1.2 but found someone who compiled it on github for 1.3 installed it and worked. Then added North kerbin dynamics mod folder into game data.. 

Currently all weapons are functioning, they're loading firing as intended but one small/big issue: my bombs doesn't blow up the world! What I mean is when i launch a nuke or MOAB or 41000lb dumb bomb it fires and explodes like a small snake eye bomb in bd armory. This is disappointing when I drop a MIRV onto the VAB and it has a blast radius of a hand grenade.

So to the lovely KSP community, any suggestions or ideas as to why its not working? Perhaps its my graphical settings? Should i try reinstalling the mods? Maybe wait till the official release of BD armory's 1.3 update? Idk how did u guys manage to get this mod w/ bd armory to work? Btw I dont have any other mods besides hyperedit. 

Uh.. BDAc DOES have an official 1.3 update. 0.2.1.1 is the official recompile for 1.3. There's an explosion fix in here somewhere I believe. But there are also just issues that need ironing out, and I believe the NKD explosions are one of them.

13 hours ago, Spaceengineers said:

*HELP*

Make sure the GameData/North Kerbin Weaponry folder doesn't have the version number after it. Do you have all the dependencies installed as well? BDAc requires PhysicsRangeExtender and NKD requires C.A.L. and BDAc. I suggest using CKAN although NKD is not on CKAN BDAc is and it will install dependencies automatically. Your graphic settings as nothing to do with anything I run on the lowest settings for testing runs and have had no issues.

After isolating why my game crashes (considered incompatibilities or other mod conflicts***) i noticed my game always crashes when loading up North Kerbin Weaponry, what could the issue be for this?

***It could still be a another mod conflict, im no genius at this. Just attempted to isolate the issue.

Mods installed at this time: BP Part Switch, BDArmory, CAL, Community Resource Pack, Firespitter (the full version with parts), KerbalFoundries, NearFutureElectrical, PEW, ModuleManager 2.7.5. . Running Windows 10 with KSP Version 1.2.2

Edit: SOLVED. I was using the newest version for 1.3 so i reverted to the latest 1.2.1.

Edited by CanadianBOW
Solved issue

23 hours ago, wrench-in-the-works said:

It appears as if the auto-return mechanic for the turrets in this pack are broken. Quick ping to see if this is happening with anyone else.

I see this happen on occasion when rapidly switching between weapons or vehicles. It usually fixes itself if you return to the KSC and go back.

I have my own problem, semi-related to this, actually. I don't know if it has been an ongoing issue or an unfinished piece, but the LAV-25 turret makes no sound when firing, though I thought i remembered it doing so previously.

On 6/28/2017 at 10:11 PM, AlexWingace said:

I see this happen on occasion when rapidly switching between weapons or vehicles. It usually fixes itself if you return to the KSC and go back.

I have my own problem, semi-related to this, actually. I don't know if it has been an ongoing issue or an unfinished piece, but the LAV-25 turret makes no sound when firing, though I thought i remembered it doing so previously.

It's not this, I've had turrets free-wheel around when I've switched off, only from the NKD pack. Currently I've only experienced it with the MLRS and the SCUD launcher, but I haven't had time to check all of them.

So are the explosions broken for everyone at the moment? Anything nuclear seems to be tiny. I remember back a while ago, when these had a mushroom cloud, but that's not working for me. Mods are: BD v0.2.1.2, latest version of this from Spacedock, CAL, KW rocketry, mechjeb and Kerbal Engineer.

1 hour ago, KERBAL WARS said:

I too have been having a lot of trouble with nukes lately. I've done everything I can find on this forum and they still explode like an impact blast and not a nuclear apocalypse. Anything that could help would be great :)

The .zip extracts to "North Kerbin Weaponry v0.83"

You need to rename this directory to "North Kerbin Weaponry"

So the install should be "GameData/North Kerbin Weaponry"

It should NOT be "GameData/North Kerbin Weaponry v0.83"

11 hours ago, frencrs said:

The .zip extracts to "North Kerbin Weaponry v0.83"

You need to rename this directory to "North Kerbin Weaponry"

So the install should be "GameData/North Kerbin Weaponry"

It should NOT be "GameData/North Kerbin Weaponry v0.83"

Thanks I'll see how it works :) 

19 hours ago, Hardware_Autopilot said:

So are the explosions broken for everyone at the moment? Anything nuclear seems to be tiny. I remember back a while ago, when these had a mushroom cloud, but that's not working for me. Mods are: BD v0.2.1.2, latest version of this from Spacedock, CAL, KW rocketry, mechjeb and Kerbal Engineer.

You need PhysicsRangeExtender as well for BDAc.

17 hours ago, KERBAL WARS said:

I too have been having a lot of trouble with nukes lately. I've done everything I can find on this forum and they still explode like an impact blast and not a nuclear apocalypse. Anything that could help would be great :)

Be sure you also have all the dependencies of the other mods as well.

Everyone having trouble with nuke explosions not working.

First be sure the install directory is correct. It should be GameData/North Kerbin Weaponry not GameData/North Kerbin Weaponry v0.83

Second be sure you have BDArmoryContinued v 2.1.2 installed, BDAc also requires PhysicsRangeExtender v1.4 be installed.

Third North Kerbin Dynamics also requires C.A.L. v0.2.4 be installed for turret bullets. 

Fourth the latest version of Module Manager is required as well..

Hope this helps out. :) I see everyone saying it's broken and there is nothing wrong with this mod besides the install path. You must have all the mods installed correctly for this mod to work correctly.

5 minutes ago, Next_Star_Industries said:

Everyone having trouble with nuke explosions not working.

First be sure the install directory is correct. It should be GameData/North Kerbin Weaponry not GameData/North Kerbin Weponry v0.83

Second be sure you have BDArmoryContinued v 2.1.2 installed, BDAc also requires PhysicsRangeExtender v1.4 be installed.

Third North Kerbin Dynamics also requires C.A.L. v0.2.4 be installed for turret bullets. 

Hope this helps out. :) I see everyone saying it's broken and there is nothing wrong with this mod besides the install path. You must have all the mods installed correctly for this mod to work correctly.

So install directory, do you just mean rename the directory? Or is there something I'm missing?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.