[WIP][1.3.1] North Kerbin Dynamics - Nuclear Bombs and Heavy Ordnance Pack (and other things) v0.84b

harpwner

New upcoming guns in 0.6:

M777 Howitzer (155mm)

2A3 Kondensator (406mm)

M1 Howitzer (240mm)

2A65 Howitzer (152mm)

Expect to see these in about a week (busy and all)

don't forget to suggest!

Edited by harpwner

So I came across this missile while I was on Wikipedia...

The Sprint Missile was a two stage solid-fuel anti-ballistic missile that was meant to intercept warheads re-entering the atmosphere. The missile carried a W66 nuclear warhead (details on the warheads size are not declassified, but it reportedly carried a few kilotons (low yield) ) and could intercept targets from a range of 1,500 Metres to 30,000 Metres in about 15 seconds. It went from zero to mach 10 in less than 5 seconds!

Possible Anti-Ballistic missile for Kerbal Space Program...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_(missile)

sprint2.jpg

1061b.jpg

Will we receive the Ohka in the next update or does it need some more tweaking?

It will be part of 0.6, it'll be a pretty big update with texture changes and a bunch of new things... as well as tweaks and such. Don't expect it too soon, a week or so may be enough time but we also need to consider our schedules... this week hasn't exactly been light

The Sprint Missile was a two stage solid-fuel anti-ballistic missile that was meant to intercept warheads re-entering the atmosphere. The missile carried a W66 nuclear warhead (details on the warheads size are not declassified, but it reportedly carried a few kilotons (low yield) ) and could intercept targets from a range of 1,500 Metres to 30,000 Metres in about 15 seconds. It went from zero to mach 10 in less than 5 seconds!

http://www.brookings.edu/FP/PROJECTS/NUCWCOST/sprint2.jpg

http://www.srmsc.org/images1/1061b.jpg

The problem is the second stage. I can't make a multi-stage missile since the boost parts that you define don't eject. What can be done is a single staged one, but multi-stage just can't happen (which is why I'm withholding the Trident for a later date)

A lot of my missiles have working boosters already I'm not sure what you mean by don't eject. However having a second stage booster is not possible as far as I know

Why don't you make the first stage a booster that has a very long burn time maybe or,you can make them like the side boosters but center it?

unless that can't work.

http://www.brookings.edu/FP/PROJECTS/NUCWCOST/sprint2.jpg

http://www.srmsc.org/images1/1061b.jpg

There's a bit more of a practical limitation here too, that being the Kraken will come knockin on EVERYTHING when using this. I can't imagine the game handling mach 10+ in atmosphere well

The PEW pack which is linked in the BD Armory main page actually contains the Sprint with a 2-stage booster and handles fairly well in game, with an average speed of ~500m/s and a pretty decent range, plus textured nuclear warhead. I also remember a previous post mentioning 2-stage missile boosters, and if you test fire the missile in-game, you can see the first SRB separate from the main body about 10s after ignition before swapping to second stage. Anyways, short reply to let ya know one is out there if your looking for it.

THAT'S ABMIST

I can do some ABMs, if they are single stage. If it's multi staged then what I can do is just leave it out of the model if thr stage itself is short.

Aside from that, multistage is not possible in BDArmory without making your own craft and using that missile guidance module

Well what about the effects that LORDPrometheus does for his Nike Hercules missile? Could we implement that with a RIM-161 4 stage ABM?

I don't really understand what you mean? Are you asking to make a missile in a single body that fires different boosters at different times? If so there's only a booster and cruise stage, so a 4 stage rocket isn't even possible in the current state of BDArmory.

INCONCEIVABLE

I don't really understand what you mean? Are you asking to make a missile in a single body that fires different boosters at different times? If so there's only a booster and cruise stage, so a 4 stage rocket isn't even possible in the current state of BDArmory.

INCONCEIVABLE

So...would at least a two-stage be possible?

So...would at least a two-stage be possible?

depends, since the boost phase is just like the cruise phase just named differently, technically 2 staged rockets are possible. The only problem is ejection of the stages, if it's a 2 stage rocket that has separating boosters or an entire section that separates, I can't do that. However if it's external boosters that stay attached then yes, I can do that

harpwner, since youre kinda the only one

who cares about the animations of missiles, would it be possible to change that the smoketrails looke more solid, in special from your atilerie missile?

I would also love to see more clusterbombs.

Hello again, its me! The idiotic Kerbal armchair general who can't distinguish between an anti-ballistic missile and a pointy rock! Going back to what Noellen said up above me right here, the CBU-97 would be amazing. A pain in the buttocks for you to design I'd imagine, the CBU-97 Sensor Fuzed Weapon is basically a cluster bomb loaded with what could be called modified M2 SLAM mines with airburst laser sensors for attacking enemy armor. Basically, it would be GPS guided to the target before airbursting and releasing 40 discs at a predetermined height, which would each attack GPS targets. Think of it as a swarm top-attack (since I can't imagine coding 40 individual bombs to find targets would look like) for bombarding single targets. If this is too much (it almost was for Textron Defense), the AGM-154A JSOW would also be pretty cool, in brief a short JASSM with a cluster warhead.

the CBU-97 would be amazing. A pain in the buttocks for you to design I'd imagine, the CBU-97 Sensor Fuzed Weapon is basically a cluster bomb loaded with what could be called modified M2 SLAM mines with airburst laser sensors for attacking enemy armor. Basically, it would be GPS guided to the target before airbursting and releasing 40 discs at a predetermined height, which would each attack GPS

someone else already suggested this and it cannot be done with out some SERIOUS code changes as the bomblets of cluster bombs are essentially like cannon shells in the way they are handled by BDA and there is no way to put guidance on shells so alas no CBU-97 :(

I could imagine an AT-dumb CBU. Just a regular cluster bomb model with many more but smaller bomblets with lower damage radii, and a tighter spread/dispersal zone. Could also be GPS-guided to target's area, as smart CBUs are all the rage nowadays. Other than that, cluster warheads for the MGM-140 ATACMS munition would be awesome (as it was designed principally as a cluster IRBM, not a unitary-warhead rocket cruise missile) and Scud, plus maybe adding in other Russian/Soviet missiles (SS-20-N Saber, OTR-21 Tochka, Iskander-M, etc.) The DF-21 Donfei hypersonic ballistic anti-ship missile would be pretty cool, and a much shorter range (30km rather than 300,000km) variant of the DARPA Falcon Project/Prompt Global Strike could be a small cruise missile the AGM-158 for use on recon planes and heavy fighters.

I could imagine an AT-dumb CBU. Just a regular cluster bomb model with many more but smaller bomblets with lower damage radii, and a tighter spread/dispersal zone. Could also be GPS-guided to target's area, as smart CBUs are all the rage nowadays. Other than that, cluster warheads for the MGM-140 ATACMS munition would be awesome (as it was designed principally as a cluster IRBM, not a unitary-warhead rocket cruise missile) and Scud, plus maybe adding in other Russian/Soviet missiles (SS-20-N Saber, OTR-21 Tochka, Iskander-M, etc.) The DF-21 Donfei hypersonic ballistic anti-ship missile would be pretty cool, and a much shorter range (30km rather than 300,000km) variant of the DARPA Falcon Project/Prompt Global Strike could be a small cruise missile the AGM-158 for use on recon planes and heavy fighters.

I'll look into the sub munition approach for the MGM, I really wanna see if it's even possible because I think it's altitude based.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.