[WIP][1.3.1] North Kerbin Dynamics - Nuclear Bombs and Heavy Ordnance Pack (and other things) v0.84b

harpwner

1 hour ago, Turtles4Life said:

Could you make an M163 turret?

that would be nice but it would be hard to model, it has alot of edges and corners, you could make one with tweakscale and the bdarmory 20mm, thats what i did, and it turned out better than i thought, although it took and hour, but i just saved it as its own craft so i can put it on anything 

Apologies if this has been answered/asked before, but the M-26 artillery missile sometimes gets stuck inside the rocket tubes and explode. Is there anyway to avoid this? Also, thanks for the amazing mod and the hard work! KSP is certainly 150% more fun with nukes and missiles!

Edited by CelticCossack51

Hey there! Installed the mod and had some fun building a variety of ICBM systems. However, there's one issue I continue to keep running in, and that's the warhead itself. See, when I fire it and it goes through the atmosphere, by the time it begins to slow down to about 1500 m/s, the warhead shakes violently and slows it down dramatically, which causes the warhead to be thrown far off course and doesn't get in range to be effective to any target.

Is there something I'm missing here? I attempted to put SAS on board but the unit would just explode due to all the heat, leaving the warhead without proper guidance. Is there something that I should do before launching or is this a glitch?

On 10/12/2016 at 0:55 AM, Talos said:

Hey there! Installed the mod and had some fun building a variety of ICBM systems. However, there's one issue I continue to keep running in, and that's the warhead itself. See, when I fire it and it goes through the atmosphere, by the time it begins to slow down to about 1500 m/s, the warhead shakes violently and slows it down dramatically, which causes the warhead to be thrown far off course and doesn't get in range to be effective to any target.

Is there something I'm missing here? I attempted to put SAS on board but the unit would just explode due to all the heat, leaving the warhead without proper guidance. Is there something that I should do before launching or is this a glitch?

The warheads are GPS guided.

Thus when you build an ICBM it would be more efficient to place them like this:

1. One of those probe rings (remote guided things (circular))

2. A targetting pod in the center of the remote guidance core

3. 8 Docking ports around the center of the guidance core itself, (surrounding the targetting pod)

4. 8 Warheads, one on each port.

5. A Weapon Manager on the guidance core.

Now what you do is launch into space and maintain an altitude of 90km.

When you have set a deorbiting maneuver and execute it, then fast forward until you are in visual of target region.

Use the targetting pod from the weapon manager and zoom into the target region for better view.

Lock on to your targets, or where you might want to strike with the "Lock" button on the targetting pod interface.

Once you have locked onto one select "Send to GPS" then move to the next target and press the button again.

Now you can close the targetting UI and select "GPS Coordinator" from the weapon manager.

Once you have that open, simply double click on the coordinate you wish to strike first, it will turn yellow when selected.

Then select the Warhead from the list of weapons and enable your weapons from the button on the top of the interface.

Fire the warheads like you would fire regular weapons, but note you have to switch the GPS point to target them at different locations.

What i mean to say is, first create GPS coordinate markers, select one and fire a warhead like a missile, then select another coordinate and fire another warhead and repeat the process until you have launched all warheads at their respective targets.

They will automatically aerobrake and control their descent until they strike each target at maximum velocity.

(Note can someone reupload the 1.0.5 version of NKD because when i download from space dock the zip files corrupt)

3 hours ago, IraqiWalker said:

Are there any problems with running it on 1.2? I know there /might/ be problems, but have people had any yet?

Without a working BDAc, I would assume this isn't going to function either.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jukesster said:

Now that Bda is 1.2.1, has anyone tested if this mods will now work? Kinda need this in my life, this mod is on my 'can't live without' list. Much thanks for your dev efforts :D 

the parts are in game and available, but the nuclear explosions just act like normal missles :(

2 hours ago, iG. Argon said:

the parts are in game and available, but the nuclear explosions just act like normal missles :(

3 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

Testing now

5 hours ago, Angstinator said:

That's a question worth reopening now.

5 hours ago, jukesster said:

Now that Bda is 1.2.1, has anyone tested if this mods will now work? Kinda need this in my life, this mod is on my 'can't live without' list. Much thanks for your dev efforts :D 

MULTIQUOTE

So I'm alive still but have just been busy, now that there are issues tho I think it's time I get back into this!

This weekend (after I watch Doctor Strange on Friday and play Dungeons and Dragons on Saturday) I will gather time to update and finalize an update for this mod. Hopefully it will only need a little work so I can release it next weekend or something!

How about casaba-howitzer.  (Not an actual howitzer, just the code name of a still 98% classified project):  http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php (Scroll down to "nuclear shaped charges")

Spoiler

Details are scarce since the project is still classified after all these years. Tungsten has an atomic number (Z) of 74. When the tungsten plate is vaporized, the resulting plasma jet has a relatively low velocity and diverges at a wide angle (22.5 degrees). Now, if you replace the tungsten with a material with a low Z, the plasma jet will instead have a high velocity at a narrow angle ("high velocity" meaning "a recognizable fraction of the speed of light"). The jet angle also grows narrower as the thickness of the plate is reduced. This is undesirable for a propulsion system component (because it will destroy the pusher plate), but just perfect for a weapon (because it will destroy the enemy ship).

Spoiler

Scott Lowther has done some research into a 1960's design for an Orion-drive battleship. It was to be armed with naval gun turrets, minuteman missiles with city-killing 20 megatons warheads, and Casaba-Howitzer weapons. It appears that the Casaba-Howitzer charges would be from subkiloton to several kilotons in yield, be launched on pancake booster rockets until they were far enough from the battleship to prevent damage (several hundred yards), whereupon they would explode and skewer the hapless target with a spear of nuclear flame. The battleship would probably carry a stockpile of Casaba-Howitzer weapons in the low hundreds.

14 hours ago, harpwner said:

MULTIQUOTE

So I'm alive still but have just been busy, now that there are issues tho I think it's time I get back into this!

This weekend (after I watch Doctor Strange on Friday and play Dungeons and Dragons on Saturday) I will gather time to update and finalize an update for this mod. Hopefully it will only need a little work so I can release it next weekend or something!

Thank you so much brother, looking forward to my MLRS and scuds once again! My scud launcher, and the sick custom made truck for it, are waiting patiently in anticipation :D 

First off all i love your mod. Second I have some suggestions:

1. NAPALM. I just love the smell of napalm in the morning, and I would love to see some bombs (and some missile's even) that just give a giant fireball.

2. Guided nuke. I always under or over shoot. Some precision bombing with nukes because they have so small blast radius'

3. EMP. Just a big blast en if possible it would be amazing if all the electrics of crafts within the blast radius would fail.

On 11/11/2016 at 3:59 PM, Koening said:

First off all i love your mod. Second I have some suggestions:

1. NAPALM. I just love the smell of napalm in the morning, and I would love to see some bombs (and some missile's even) that just give a giant fireball.

2. Guided nuke. I always under or over shoot. Some precision bombing with nukes because they have so small blast radius'

3. EMP. Just a big blast en if possible it would be amazing if all the electrics of crafts within the blast radius would fail.

Napalm has been in development actaully, and if my previous progress has carried over well then this update will certainly have that implemented into a bomb or two :)

On 11/3/2016 at 11:31 PM, Rath said:

How about casaba-howitzer.  (Not an actual howitzer, just the code name of a still 98% classified project):  http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php (Scroll down to "nuclear shaped charges")

Reveal hidden contents

Details are scarce since the project is still classified after all these years. Tungsten has an atomic number (Z) of 74. When the tungsten plate is vaporized, the resulting plasma jet has a relatively low velocity and diverges at a wide angle (22.5 degrees). Now, if you replace the tungsten with a material with a low Z, the plasma jet will instead have a high velocity at a narrow angle ("high velocity" meaning "a recognizable fraction of the speed of light"). The jet angle also grows narrower as the thickness of the plate is reduced. This is undesirable for a propulsion system component (because it will destroy the pusher plate), but just perfect for a weapon (because it will destroy the enemy ship).

Reveal hidden contents

Scott Lowther has done some research into a 1960's design for an Orion-drive battleship. It was to be armed with naval gun turrets, minuteman missiles with city-killing 20 megatons warheads, and Casaba-Howitzer weapons. It appears that the Casaba-Howitzer charges would be from subkiloton to several kilotons in yield, be launched on pancake booster rockets until they were far enough from the battleship to prevent damage (several hundred yards), whereupon they would explode and skewer the hapless target with a spear of nuclear flame. The battleship would probably carry a stockpile of Casaba-Howitzer weapons in the low hundreds.

I WANNA MAKE IT SO BAD

but I dunno what kind of coding it may require so it's one of those 'we'll see' kind of things.

Now for the progress update:

I fixed the explosions!

that's about it, but progress is already looking good and all I really have to do is make it 1.2 BDArmory compatible.

Should be done soon.

1 hour ago, harpwner said:

Napalm has been in development actaully, and if my previous progress has carried over well then this update will certainly have that implemented into a bomb or two :)

I WANNA MAKE IT SO BAD

but I dunno what kind of coding it may require so it's one of those 'we'll see' kind of things.

Now for the progress update:

I fixed the explosions!

that's about it, but progress is already looking good and all I really have to do is make it 1.2 BDArmory compatible.

Should be done soon.

Can you please make a beta/experimental/dev build, it's OK is you consider no, but I would really appreciate it!

27 minutes ago, RandoNandoz said:

Can you please make a beta/experimental/dev build, it's OK is you consider no, but I would really appreciate it!

It won't be very long before it's ready to release, tomorrow I'd say if I get stuff done

All I really have to do is refine napalm, the 1.2 compatibility is also done!

33 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

Its tommorow. JK don't ban me admins

I'm getting there man I'm getting there!

I'm on the very last few things, making sure it works smoothly and implementing the 1st (and only for this update) napalm/incendiary bomb

hint: It's the Mk77

7 minutes ago, harpwner said:

I'm getting there man I'm getting there!

I'm on the very last few things, making sure it works smoothly and implementing the 1st (and only for this update) napalm/incendiary bomb

hint: It's the Mk77

lol at least you knew it was a joke. I can wait

can't wait though

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.