Starlion Industries - KSPI & IFS Compatibility Patches for Fueltanks, Spaceplanes, & more [CKAN]

ABZB

What would you like to see next?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see next?

• Add Mk2 and Mk3 Alcubierre drives as well as other miscellaneous KSPI parts (will take quite some time, need to learn modeling first)
    • Fix unbalanced parts, etc. (please comment what & why)
    • Integrate other part-packs with KSPI (please suggest which one(s))
    • Other

Starlion Industries currently specializes in patches that enhance synergy between KSPI and various modpacks.

Spacedock Download/Github Download (Also available on CKAN)

1. Adds KSPI's InterstellarFuelSwitch to all Liquid-fuel-only parts, properly balanced. The available fuels depend on what other mods are installed. The only true dependency is Interstellar Fuel Switch (also available on CKAN). If that is not installed, this section of the patch will be inactive
    • KSPI or Community Resource Pack & Realfuels: All KSPI fuels, as well as Kerosene (but not LiquidFuel).
    • KSPI or Community Resource Pack & Modular Fuel Tanks: All KSPI fuels, as well as LiquidFuel.
    • Neither KSPI nor Community Resource Pack: Options are: LiquidFuel, LFO, XenonGas, MonoProp.

[*] If Mk2 Stock-a-like Expansion (Also available on CKAN) & KSPI (Also available on CKAN) are installed:

• The MK-X Generator model is used to replicate the various KSPI Reactors & Generators (balanced to be equivalent to be equivalent to the respective KSPI part tweakscaled to 1.965 meters (based on my calculation of cross-sectional area of the mk2 shape)).
  • Certain of the engines from the Mk2 Stock-a-like Expansion are edited to function as the following KSPI Engines:
    • DT Vista Inertial Fusion engine
    • Magnetic Nozzle
    • Plasma Thruster
    • Thermal Turbojet
    • VASIMR thruster

[*]Adds KSPI Electric RCS Module (with in-flight switching of propellant supported) to the Mk2-E RCS parts (they are noted as such in-game). This allows use of Intake Atmosphere as RCS fuel while in-atmosphere.

[*]Adds KSPI Radiator module to all wings & control surfaces.

[*]If RealFuels is installed:

• Adds RealFuels modules to the non-air-breathing Mk2 Extended Engines if RealFuels is installed. Some of the engines that would get RF modules will have KSPI modules instead if both are installed.

Edited by ABZB

Thanks for the great modpack. I have really been loving the integration which fuels my love for spaceplanes and KSPI. I did notice a few issues with the otherwise great pack.

- Near Future Electric also replaces the config of the MX2 reactor which causes the game to not load. Is it possible to have the KSPI reactor be a separate part from the Mk2 KSPI integration?

- The KSPI Mk2 reactor is a gas core and according to my testing and comments from FreeThinker is that the reactor suffers from buoyancy effects causing thrust to drop significantly when under acceleration making this not such a good reactor for engines in a gravity well. Perhaps Pebble bed or Dusty plasma? Or both?

- Already mentioned, the fuel capacities and dry weights of the Mk2 Short and Long liquid fuel tanks is the same

- The length of the stack from generator > reactor > turbojet is quite long and doesn't leave alot of room for weight balancing. I was unable to get a well balanced FAR capable design due to the light weight in the back of the plane. KSPI has this issue as well though... engines/reactors may need to be a bit heavier. Adding a smallish integrated fuel tank on these parts would be ideal since we could use the fuel to balance the weight of the plane. Also this may account of the non standard shape of the Mk2 fuselage and realistically store fuel on the side.

- The Mk2 VASIMR unlocks before the VASIMR unlocks in KSPI (Suggestion might be one of the last nodes in the aircraft tree for Community Tech Tree since I believe there may be an empty node)

Also I wanted to note I did test the generator > reactor > turbojet combination and was able to produce thrust, although the thrust was not enough to lift the plane. Possibly the buoyancy effect as noted above.

Edited by Trolllception

- Near Future Electric also replaces the config of the MX2 reactor which causes the game to not load. Is it possible to have the KSPI reactor be a separate part from the Mk2 KSPI integration?

Fixed, those parts were missing the NEEDS[WarpPlugin]

- The KSPI Mk2 reactor is a gas core and according to my testing and comments from FreeThinker is that the reactor suffers from buoyancy effects causing thrust to drop significantly when under acceleration making this not such a good reactor for engines in a gravity well. Perhaps Pebble bed or Dusty plasma? Or both?

hmmm - good point, I went with Gas core due to TWR issues with the molten salt. Since CP can now drive thermal engines (which I just learned about 5 minutes ago :P) I will switch to dusty plasma.

- Already mentioned, the fuel capacities and dry weights of the Mk2 Short and Long liquid fuel tanks is the same

trying to figure out why MM isn't doing what I want it to. at worst, I will write explicit configs instead of the formulaic one I have now

- The length of the stack from generator > reactor > turbojet is quite long and doesn't leave alot of room for balancing.Also this may account of the non standard shape of the Mk2 fuselage and realistically store fuel on the side.

hmm i'll see about that

keep in mind that the reactor does not have to be directly connected to the engine anymore - there is a penalty per part in between for thermal power transfer (for this one, multiply thermal power by 95% per extra part in-between). Charged particle does not seem to have a deficit

-I was unable to get a well balanced FAR capable design due to the light weight in the back of the plane. KSPI has this issue as well though... engines/reactors may need to be a bit heavier. Adding a smallish integrated fuel tank on these parts would be ideal since we could use the fuel to balance the weight of the plane.

I reduced the weight assuming the KPSI tweakscale and part mass exponents to radius of 1.44 - maybe I'll bump up the radius estimate a bit...

- The Mk2 VASIMR unlocks before the VASIMR unlocks in KSPI

fixed

hmmm - good point, I went with Gas core due to TWR issues with the molten salt. Since CP can now drive thermal engines (which I just learned about 5 minutes ago :P) I will switch to dusty plasma.

According to the KSPI chart on reactors the dusty plasma works with thermal engines but can only use charged particles so does the turbojet actually work with that reactor?

Version 1.9 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4

Released on 2015-08-17

Mk2-E R4-D "Rontgen" Atomic Thermal Jet is now a nuclear Thermal Turbojet, with included fission reactor

Mk2-E Ion thruster is now a Plasma Thruster

Mk2-E Pluto nuclear engine is now a DT Vista engine, with included radiator

Mk2-E ESTOC is now a VASIMR thruster

Mk2-E G-120 "Vector" is now a Magnetic Nozzle

Fission Reactor is now a Pebble bed, upgrades to Dusty Plasma when regular Dusty Plasma is unlocked.

Fixed InterstellarFuelSwitch MM errors

Added missing NEEDS

the Thermal Turbojet parts still will not function properly, this is being investigated.

The Gas Core reactor is now deprecated. If you wish to continue using it, rename GasCoreReactor.txt to GasCoreReactor.cfg. If you have current vessels with it, and wish to upgrade, open up your persistent.sfs, and all other .sfs files you wish to edit, as well as any saved ship files, and CTRL-replace: M2X.Reactor.GasCore with M2X.Reactor.DustyPlasma .

Perhaps its an idea to integrate KSPI radiators into Spaceplane ruders/fins , it should allow space planes to get rid of their excess wasteheat before they overheat. I suggest to give them similar performance as Stock radiators, not great compared to high tech KSPI radiators, but better than a shortage of radiators.

Edited by FreeThinker

Perhaps its an idea to integrate KSPI radiators into Spaceplane ruders/fins , it should allow space planes to get rid of their excess wasteheat before they overheat. I suggest to give them similar performance as Stock radiators, not great compared to high tech KSPI radiators, but better than a shortage of radiators.

Sounds reasonable.

EDIT:

I have added a patch to do so:

For all parts with ModuleLiftingSurface or ModuleControlSurface, that lack FNRadiator:

It sets radiatorArea to 2*deflectionLiftCoeff, and upgraded area to 1.5*radiatorArea.

Wasteheat capacity is set to 200*radiatorArea

so the Swept Wings, coeef of 1.37,for example, will have:

area of 2.74

upgraded area of 4.11

wasteheat capacity of 548

Edited by ABZB

Received a MM error when loading the game. I am using FAR so not sure if that effects this one.

[LOG 18:12:18.228] [ModuleManager] Applying node StarLionIndustries/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/mk2_KSPI_Engines/@PART[Mk2Turbojet]:FIRST to Mk2Expansion/Parts/Engines/Turbojet/part/Mk2Turbojet

[LOG 18:12:18.229] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot use index with replace (%) value: @atmosphereCurve

Edit: I also noticed the Mk2 "Boldly" VISTA engine unlocks in the Improved Nuclear Propulsion node along with the thermal turbojet. It may be better placed further back in the tech tree.

Edited by Trolllception

Received a MM error when loading the game. I am using FAR so not sure if that effects this one.

[LOG 18:12:18.228] [ModuleManager] Applying node StarLionIndustries/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/mk2_KSPI_Engines/@PART[Mk2Turbojet]:FIRST to Mk2Expansion/Parts/Engines/Turbojet/part/Mk2Turbojet

[LOG 18:12:18.229] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot use index with replace (%) value: @atmosphereCurve

gahhhh

- - - Updated - - -

gahhhh

i'll have a fix up in a few minutes

Also the Mk2 fuel tanks appear to only be fillable with hydrogen (and a tiny amount at that).

nr6ShBN.png

gahhhh

- - - Updated - - -

i'll have a fix up in a few minutes

No rush :). I like the new additions. I may need to try some stuff out in sandbox before I unlock it in my career...

Edited by Trolllception

It shouldn't fly, but it does. KER gives incorrect thrust/Acc data. the Right-click menu makes sense, based on drag & gravity (and that the speed of the 'air'craft was stable).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

-for no reason I can determine, specifically changing ModuleEnginesFX to ModuleEngines in my patch file fixed the thermal turbojet. The ModuleEnginesFX FX still work.... maybe there is an interaction somewhere??? I don't even know anymore...

- the thermal turbojet with the built-in reactor might still broken. working on it.

- going to check the fuelswitch thing now

EDIT:

Found & fixed fuelswitch thing (for no apparent reason, the MM append thing was only appending a non-0 value to the first tank). found an alternate method, testing now

EDIT:

nope. gonna have to go to the MM forum

EDIT:

VICTORY

In case any poor soul is googling multiple variable module manager, or module manager array or something - the '#' should ONLY APPEAR ONCE - before the first '$'.

2.0 is up

happy flying

Edited by ABZB

Still getting a few errors when loading KSP. And probably related, the dry tank mass for certain setups like hydrazine are way higher than hydrogen. Like 3T dry mass instead of .3 for hydrogen/liq fuel.

[LOG 23:35:27.316] [ModuleManager] Applying node StarLionIndustries/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/mk2_KSPI_fuel_tanks/@PART[mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk2Fuselage|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk3FuselageLF_100]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]]:FINAL to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk2FuselageLong/L_long/mk2Fuselage
[LOG 23:35:27.316] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key resourceAmounts = #$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../keroseneamount$
[LOG 23:35:27.316] [ModuleManager] Applying node StarLionIndustries/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/mk2_KSPI_fuel_tanks/@PART[mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk2Fuselage|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk3FuselageLF_100]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]]:FINAL to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk2FuselageShort/L_short/mk2FuselageShortLiquid
[LOG 23:35:27.316] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key resourceAmounts = #$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../keroseneamount$
[LOG 23:35:27.316] [ModuleManager] Applying node StarLionIndustries/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/mk2_KSPI_fuel_tanks/@PART[mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk2Fuselage|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk3FuselageLF_100]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]]:FINAL to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk3Fuselage/LF_100/mk3FuselageLF_100
[LOG 23:35:27.317] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key resourceAmounts = #$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../keroseneamount$
[LOG 23:35:27.317] [ModuleManager] Applying node StarLionIndustries/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/mk2_KSPI_fuel_tanks/@PART[mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk2Fuselage|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk3FuselageLF_100]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]]:FINAL to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk3Fuselage/LF_25/mk3FuselageLF_25
[LOG 23:35:27.317] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key resourceAmounts = #$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$;$/../keroseneamount$
[LOG 23:35:27.317] [ModuleManager] Applying node StarLionIndustries/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/mk2_KSPI_fuel_tanks/@PART[mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk2Fuselage|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk3FuselageLF_100]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]]:FINAL to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk3Fuselage/LF_50/mk3FuselageLF_50

Edited by Trolllception

Sounds reasonable.

EDIT:

I have added a patch to do so:

For all parts with ModuleLiftingSurface or ModuleControlSurface, that lack FNRadiator:

It sets radiatorArea to 2*deflectionLiftCoeff, and upgraded area to 1.5*radiatorArea.

Wasteheat capacity is set to 200*radiatorArea

so the Swept Wings, coeef of 1.37,for example, will have:

area of 2.74

upgraded area of 4.11

wasteheat capacity of 548

For your information, in Kspi-E I often applied the Rule Mass * 10000

Still getting a few errors when loading KSP. And probably related, the dry tank mass for certain setups like hydrazine are way higher than hydrogen. Like 3T dry mass instead of .3 for hydrogen/liq fuel.

[LOG 23:35:27.316] [ModuleManager] Applying node StarLionIndustries/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/mk2_KSPI_fuel_tanks/@PART[mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk2Fuselage|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk3FuselageLF_100]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]]:FINAL to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk2FuselageLong/L_long/mk2Fuselage
[LOG 23:35:27.316] [ModuleManager] Applying node StarLionIndustries/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/mk2_KSPI_fuel_tanks/@PART[mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk2Fuselage|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk3FuselageLF_100]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]]:FINAL to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk2FuselageShort/L_short/mk2FuselageShortLiquid
[LOG 23:35:27.316] [ModuleManager] Applying node StarLionIndustries/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/mk2_KSPI_fuel_tanks/@PART[mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk2Fuselage|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk3FuselageLF_100]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]]:FINAL to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk3Fuselage/LF_100/mk3FuselageLF_100
[LOG 23:35:27.317] [ModuleManager] Applying node StarLionIndustries/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/mk2_KSPI_fuel_tanks/@PART[mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk2Fuselage|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk3FuselageLF_100]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]]:FINAL to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk3Fuselage/LF_25/mk3FuselageLF_25
[LOG 23:35:27.317] [ModuleManager] Applying node StarLionIndustries/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/mk2_KSPI_fuel_tanks/@PART[mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk2Fuselage|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk3FuselageLF_100]:HAS[@MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]]:FINAL to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk3Fuselage/LF_50/mk3FuselageLF_50

Is realfuels installed?

I don't have realfuels installed. I am planning on adding it for KSP 1.1 and starting a new career but my current career save gets messsed up with realfuels.

ok - it's not problem, there are a couple of nodes that are only applied if RealFuels is NOT present, I wanted to make sure I was looking at & fixing the correct node.

ABZB: I'm working towards integrating Mk2-KSPI Integration into CKAN, and while I can guess and probably be 90% right, I'd rather just flat out ask: Which mods does it (absolutely) depend on, which mods would you recommend having alongside it, and which mods conflict with it?

It consists of a number of independent parts, which all have NEEDS[] fields to avoid conflicts.

Minimum Requirement is InterstellarFuelSwitch:

This will trigger the addition of that module to the LF-only Mk2 and mk3 parts. Included in that is a patch which will prevent conflicts with RealFuels (tested).

Optional & Recommended:

WarpPlugin:

This adds the KSPI Radiator module to all wings & control surfaces, using the lifting coefficient to approximate area.

The B9 modular wings will receive a radiator based on their 'default' size & shape - not a big problem, just any custom wing smaller will be [slightly] more powerful than it should be, and anything larger will be less powerful. As the start-size of those parts is small, and the effect of the wing-radiators is small in any event, I do not expect this to be a significant balance issue.

WarpPlugin & Mk2 Stock-a-like Expansion Pack (by SuicidalInsanity):

This adds the part [models] that allow for the mk2-form KSPI engines & reactors.

- - - Updated - - -

For your information, in Kspi-E I often applied the Rule Mass * 10000

I saw that - for the wings, it seems reasonable that the lifting coefficient is a reasonable approximation for the radiator area, as lifting area is itself [partly] a function of surface area. Also, for wings the more advanced ones presumably are light per unit surface area (better materials - lighter for wings), so a mass-based approximation would probably under/over-estimate a large proportion (assuming realisticish masses)

V 2.1 is up!

1. InterstellarFuelSwitch: Added Hexoborane, Helium-3, Tritium, & Deuterium options.
  2. InterstellarFuelSwitch: Alphabetized the order of the resources for ease of use
  3. InterstellarFuelSwitch: Removed the combined Methane/LqdOxygen & Ammonia/LqdOxygen tanks due to unresolved MM bug involving them
  4. InterstellarFuelSwitch: Fixed bugoccurring when RealFuels is NOT installed.
  5. InterstellarFuelSwitch: fixed tank mass issues
  6. Radiators: No longer glow odd-red when wasteheat builds up
  7. Radiators: Now ONLY wings & other control surfaces will have the module added (now excludes lifting-body parts)
  8. VASIMR & Plasma Thruster part-models & internal names swapped (tl;dr)
  9. Vista fixed. Radiator Module Removed (bugs).
  10. Magnetic Nozzle FX still not working. if they work for you, please note it on the forum thread.
  11. NT007 "Aftershave" Nuclear-Thermal Turbojet: deprecated, in same manner as Gas Core Reactor (included as .txt file)
  12. Ctrl+replace 'Mk2Ramjet' with 'M2X.AtomicJet' to avoid missing-part issues
  13. R4D "Rontgen" Atomic Thermal Jet: removed built-in reactor, produces bugs in the KSPI module, & is now the sole Thermal Turbojet

What are you using as your thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform for the ModuleEnginesFX turbojet? I noticed that the TransformName should be "TT" and not "thrustTransform". Not sure if you noticed this already or if its even related to your thermal turbojet issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.