Starlion Industries - KSPI & IFS Compatibility Patches for Fueltanks, Spaceplanes, & more [CKAN]

ABZB

What would you like to see next?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see next?

• Add Mk2 and Mk3 Alcubierre drives as well as other miscellaneous KSPI parts (will take quite some time, need to learn modeling first)
    • Fix unbalanced parts, etc. (please comment what & why)
    • Integrate other part-packs with KSPI (please suggest which one(s))
    • Other

Version 4.0.4 not listed on CKAN, maybe it's related to version numbers :rolleyes:

Version 4.0.5: Main Sequence Panthera pardus is now up. I fixed some lingering issues I have been seeing with both RF & OPT. Then I fixed the new problems that created [that I have observed thus far].

4.0.4 didn't get listed because I erred and did not upload the correct file structure to KerbalStuff (CKAN needs me to upload as GameData/mymod..., I accidentally uploaded just the 'mymod' directory).

- - - Updated - - -

Next project will be to go back over the tank volume calcs, and verify that the volumes are correct

My conclusion is that some parts are off, but not by terribly much, and fixing any one odd-shaped part will probably break others, and would thus require part-specific code, which would make a complex mess. Better to leave as is. The Mk2 parts have reasonably nonsensical volumes (in particular, the LF amount seems on the small side, I think) in stock as it is.

EDIT:

Does anyone have any idea how to edit or remove the poll? the answers google tells me refer me to a button that is not there.

Edited by ABZB

Any thoughts on snapping issues with the new parts? I had a sweet science plane that I flew many times in version 3.5. I had a pretty simple design with a Rontgen engine at the back. Now I can't get the Rontgen to work at all. If there is just a capsule, fuel tank, and the Rontgen, it snaps but doesn't show in the staging. Things get really screwy if you try to snap it onto the back of a reactor. It looks like it will snap, but doesn't.

Any thoughts on snapping issues with the new parts? I had a sweet science plane that I flew many times in version 3.5. I had a pretty simple design with a Rontgen engine at the back. Now I can't get the Rontgen to work at all. If there is just a capsule, fuel tank, and the Rontgen, it snaps but doesn't show in the staging. Things get really screwy if you try to snap it onto the back of a reactor. It looks like it will snap, but doesn't.

I will investigate. Prob. Won't have a chance till Monday though.

If anyone has a chance to glance at both versions and do a dif...

Gotta go, the sun is setting

Looks like the big engine fix removed a lot of lines from the definition of the engine. @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX] has been !'d, and all the options below it are gone. I am guessing that was intentional, but that's all I can find. I might just try to swap those back in a see what happens, but if anyone knows if I'm maybe missing something important, please let me know. Thanks!

Edit: The other engine that appears broken is the VISTA, and it also has those lines of code removed...

- - - Updated - - -

I went back to 4.0.1 and everything engine wise seems fine. That was before the big engine change. I did try to just plop in those lines that were removed, but that didn't seem to help. Hope that helps. :)

Edited by nordicpc

Regarding the issue with the Rontegen, I'm having the same issue as nordicpc.

For some reason it won't attach to any reactor in the VAB, and it wont work in flight.

This is with mod version 4.0.3, and KSP 32-bit version 1.0.4.

I noticed it caused an error in my debug console, so I went and dug the relevant error from my output_log.txt.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at FNPlugin.ThermalNozzleController.setupPropellants (Boolean forward, Boolean notifySwitching) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FNPlugin.ThermalNozzleController.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

[KAE] Registering field prefabs for version 1.7.5.0 (latest)

I looked into the patch and compared it to the KSPI thermal turbojet nozzle part. The configs are nearly identical except for the KSPI one has two lines stating "sootHeatDivider = 50"

That's literally the only difference that I can find. Perhaps there's a different problem, but I can't find it.

Of course, it might have to do with the fact that they just fixed a problem with thermal nozzles (including the thermal turbojets) overheating when running any kind of propellant other than atmosphere. Or it could be because they might have messed with the effects as I noted earlier.

Either way, I'm sure it's beatable, because the KSPI thermal nozzles and hybrid thermal turbojet both work fine. Worse comes to worse, re-build the patch from a clean slate again (not that it will likely come to that).

EDIT: Noticed you'll be away until Monday. I guess I'll go back to using 4.0.1 until you get back.

EDIT 2: Haven't looked at it since last night, but now that I think about it, this kind of thing sounds a lot like a syntax error.

Either way, I'm running a "hybrid" version of this mod now. Most configs are from v4.0.1, but the "Before Mk2 OPT fuel tanks" and "Mk2 KSPI fuel tanks" patch files are from the most recent version.

So far, seems to work very well, and I got a few of the "new" fixes too. (I don't use RF or MFT, so those patches shouldn't run anyways).

Edited by SciMan

Thad a poblem loading this mod, specifically, the Mk2 reactors freezing up the module manager, and after a few days i figured out the problem, when you have near future electrical, Mk2 expanded has a patch to remove the conversion module and replace it with a "fissionreactor" module so the power patch in Mk2_KSPI Integration froze up the module manager when trying to get rid of the conversion module because there wasn't one. I fixed it myself by replacing, on all parts, "!MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]{}" with the two lines "!MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]:NEEDS[!NearFutureElectrical]{}" to apply when near future electical is NOT present and "!MODULE[FissionReactor]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]{}" for when it is present. I also had to add ":AFTER[Mk2Expansion]" because this patch would, for some reason, get applied before mk2_Expansions near future electrical patch and that would cause a similar problem, so this patch needs to go after MK2_expansion loads all its patches. Hope this helps!

Thad a poblem loading this mod, specifically, the Mk2 reactors freezing up the module manager, and after a few days i figured out the problem, when you have near future electrical, Mk2 expanded has a patch to remove the conversion module and replace it with a "fissionreactor" module so the power patch in Mk2_KSPI Integration froze up the module manager when trying to get rid of the conversion module because there wasn't one. I fixed it myself by replacing, on all parts, "!MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]{}" with the two lines "!MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]:NEEDS[!NearFutureElectrical]{}" to apply when near future electical is NOT present and "!MODULE[FissionReactor]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]{}" for when it is present. I also had to add ":AFTER[Mk2Expansion]" because this patch would, for some reason, get applied before mk2_Expansions near future electrical patch and that would cause a similar problem, so this patch needs to go after MK2_expansion loads all its patches. Hope this helps!

Which version of Mk2 KSPI Integration do you have installed?

That was fixed several versions ago, by changing all the internal partnames, so the NFE patch from MK2 Expansions can't find the part, and does nothing.

ModuleManager, at least as of the current version, does not freeze up when it cannot find a node it is told to delete...

If you are not installing via CKAN, try deleting the Starlion Industries folder, and re-installing. There were major file changes some time ago, and you might have vestigial .cfgs floating around?

- - - Updated - - -

Version 4.1.0 Main Sequence Neofelis nebulosa for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4

fixed various engine bugs

overhauled engine file structure

yay I found time between things and things

That was fixed several versions ago, by changing all the internal partnames, so the NFE patch from MK2 Expansions can't find the part, and does nothing.

ModuleManager, at least as of the current version, does not freeze up when it cannot find a node it is told to delete...

If you are not installing via CKAN, try deleting the Starlion Industries folder, and re-installing. There were major file changes some time ago, and you might have vestigial .cfgs floating around?

- - - Updated - - -

ahh i see! i downloaded it off of kerbal stuff :x

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

well unless "some time ago" means less than a week, then yeah, i downloaded it off of kerbal stuff, i honestly wasnt aware ckan existed x.x but im going to use it now! cause mod managers are awesome like that

i have:

KSP interstellar extended 1.4.10

Near Future Electical 0.5.3

MK2 expansion 1.5.1

MK2 KSPI integration 4.1.0_main_sequence_neofelis_nebulosa

Module Manager 2.6.8

all of this having been JUST downloaded and installed at the time of this post straight from CKAN

also did a clean KSP install befor i downloaded all that, and their dependencies

it still hangs up when it reaches the reactors, specifically it stops at "M2X_Reactor_Antimatter"

Edited by frostyfen77

so... am i really the only one having this problem? cause i can only get the game working with this mod when i use my own fix :x

EDIT: and also the problem doesnt lie with MK2 expansions NFE.cfg patch finding the mk2 KSPI files, the problem is the NFE.cfg patch modifys the origional m2x_Reactor before MK2_KSPI's power.cfg has a chance to get to it and do what it needs to do

Edited by frostyfen77

Something seriously messed up in the STOCK engine patch on the latest version.

99% of it is GONE.

For reference, here's the entirety of the file (yes, it's really that small):

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[KM_Gimbal_3]]:NEEDS[!Klockheed_Martian_Gimbal]
{
@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
%gimbalTransformName = #$../[ModuleEngines*]/thrustVectorTransformName$
%gimbalRange = 1
}
!MODULE[KM_Gimbal_3]{}
}

THIS IS THE ENTIRE FILE.

If the engine patches aren't in the engine patch file, where are they? I checked, and I didn't find anything.

The stuff in the engine patch from the most recent version isn't even going to do anything. If KSP finds a module name in a config file that it can't find the plugin for, it will IGNORE the entire config node with that name. Also, it ends up creating another duplicate engine gimbal module.

Every engine I've ever seen that uses KM_Gimbal (any version), has had a stock gimbal module to go with it.

I'm going to revert my copy of this file to the version from 4.0.1, AGAIN. Almost certain that this will restore functionality.

I would suggest doing the same, and then not changing anything about the engine patch file until something breaks.

It seems that the past couple of engine patches have been broken by trying to fix them when they are NOT broken to begin with.

That might be harsh criticism, but the past 3 versions of this mod have had the engines broken in some way or another, and ALL of them were fixed by going back to the last version of the patch that worked. Nothing changed in the KSPI or Mk2Expansion mods, so the engines didn't need to be updated.

Additionally, I'm going to keep the mod updated on my install, but it seems I'm going to have to keep my copy of 4.0.1 handy for the forseeable future.

Hey ABZB, I was inspecting config file and noticed your Nuk-1 Aircraft Dusty Plasma Reactor hasn't fully catched up to the balance changes in KSPI-E. I recently significantly altered the Dusty Plasma Reactor, which thanks to it ability to time accelerate with magnetic noozle, has become much more useful in the game. Therefore I re balanced it the specs to realistic data which were inline with Atomic Rockets. This specifically implied it is now heaver (9t) and has less maximum power (3 GW instead 6 GW) but no heat thotling, which mean it performs much better for power production. In the past your Nuk-1 Aircraft Dusty Plasma Reactor made a lot of sence but after the reblance it becomes overpowered (especially due to the loss of heat thotling was was a major power limiter)

Something seriously messed up in the STOCK engine patch on the latest version.

99% of it is GONE.

For reference, here's the entirety of the file (yes, it's really that small):

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[KM_Gimbal_3]]:NEEDS[!Klockheed_Martian_Gimbal]
{
@MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
%gimbalTransformName = #$../[ModuleEngines*]/thrustVectorTransformName$
%gimbalRange = 1
}
!MODULE[KM_Gimbal_3]{}
}

THIS IS THE ENTIRE FILE.

If the engine patches aren't in the engine patch file, where are they? I checked, and I didn't find anything.

The engine configs are now split up by part, and are located in StarLionIndustries\Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration\Engines. This makes it easier for me (and others) to look at & edit the code for any given part, as well as to compare the code to both the corresponding mk2 expansion part cfg and the corresponding interstellar engine cfg in the text editor (via alt/ctrl-tabbing).

The stuff in the engine patch from the most recent version isn't even going to do anything. If KSP finds a module name in a config file that it can't find the plugin for, it will IGNORE the entire config node with that name. Also, it ends up creating another duplicate engine gimbal module.

Every engine I've ever seen that uses KM_Gimbal (any version), has had a stock gimbal module to go with it.

A number of the mk2 expansion pack engines have only the KM_Gimbal module. I do not currently have it installed (it acts funny for me WRT some other mods). This is the last piece of the original engines cfg file, back from when this was something I was making for my own use. I left it in, as due to its NEEDS, it will not do anything unless km_gimbal is not present. I note that your code has @MODULE[....

That is weird, the code I have is %MODULE[ModuleGimbal] - if module gimbal is already present, it would not be duplicated, merely overwritten.... Can I confirm that your file has that '@'?

I'm going to revert my copy of this file to the version from 4.0.1, AGAIN. Almost certain that this will restore functionality.

I would suggest doing the same, and then not changing anything about the engine patch file until something breaks.

It seems that the past couple of engine patches have been broken by trying to fix them when they are NOT broken to begin with.

That might be harsh criticism, but the past 3 versions of this mod have had the engines broken in some way or another, and ALL of them were fixed by going back to the last version of the patch that worked. Nothing changed in the KSPI or Mk2Expansion mods, so the engines didn't need to be updated.

What engine problem(s) are occurring with version 4.1.0? The file structure was changed for the reason noted above. The 'fixes' were mainly cleaning up duplicate !MODULE[]{} nodes. I also located the source of some extraneous modules & resources (a mk2 expansion cfg from its patch file lacks a NEEDS[] (Mk2X_NTJ_decay.cfg to be specific) & reported that to him).

Edited by ABZB

Hey ABZB, I was inspecting config file and noticed your Nuk-1 Aircraft Dusty Plasma Reactor hasn't fully catched up to the balance changes in KSPI-E. I recently significantly altered the Dusty Plasma Reactor, which thanks to it ability to time accelerate with magnetic noozle, has become much more useful in the game. Therefore I re balanced it the specs to realistic data which were inline with Atomic Rockets. This specifically implied it is now heaver (9t) and has less maximum power (3 GW instead 6 GW) but no heat thotling, which mean it performs much better for power production. In the past your Nuk-1 Aircraft Dusty Plasma Reactor made a lot of sence but after the reblance it becomes overpowered (especially due to the loss of heat thotling was was a major power limiter)

Thanks for reminding me to deal with that :blush:

- - - Updated - - -

5.0.0 Main Sequence Panthera tigris

• Finished changing file structure for now. Delete old Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration folder before installing, otherwise you might end up with duplicate patches applied.
  • Updated the Pebble Bed/Dusty Plasma reactor to match update in the KSPI module. It is now heavier, and some of its power properties have changed (see KSPI's changelog for the explanation)
  • Issue with extraneous resources in the thermal turbojet located (not fixed). Fix request submitted to relevant party

The engine configs are now split up by part, and are located in StarLionIndustries\Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration\Engines. This makes it easier for me (and others) to look at & edit the code for any given part, as well as to compare the code to both the corresponding mk2 expansion part cfg and the corresponding interstellar engine cfg in the text editor (via alt/ctrl-tabbing).

Well, it appears that my molars have an appointment with my hat. I totally missed that.

As far as using @ vs using %, the file I posted above is a direct copy-paste from the file I downloaded. What's there is in the file on KerbalStuff.

I see that that patch sets a constant 1 degree of gimbal no matter which engine it's patching. Don't you think it should take the max gimbal angle from the KM_Gimbal module and use that for the stock gimbal module? I think that has the capacity to produce better results, but IDK for sure, as the patch doesn't run on my end (I have KM_Gimbal installed).

Also, the KM_gimbal modules themselves don't act funny for me, but they make MechJeb go slightly crazy. I just lock the gimbal and use reaction wheels or RCS instead, and the problems go away. I've also heard that there are some MechJeb add-ons that allow MechJeb to work correctly with KM_Gimbal stuff too, but I haven't looked into that. Not sure if that's your problem or not, but locking the gimbal should at least help, I would imagine.

Either way, I'm having a heck of a time getting any kind of performance out of the Rontgen atomic thermal jet while using an Antimatter reactor. The only things this reactor serves are a Charged Particle generator, and this thermal nozzle. Even with 80% power going to charged particles, there should be ~20GW available for the thermal turbojet.

The specific problem I was having was that the thermal turbojet would flame out on atmospheric mode while I had ~10-15% left on the IntakeAtm gauge in the resource display. Additionally, when it flamed out, it would absolutely, positively, REFUSE to restart, no matter what I did. Good thing I have a couple of back-up Plasma Thrusters on it that can run in Atmosphere mode, because otherwise the spaceplane I was piloting wouldn't have been able to make it back to KSC.

Even when I attempted to switch the thermal turbojet over to Hydrazine (the main propellant for this spaceplane), it wouldn't do anything. It would sit there with "Status: Flame-Out!", even while connected to several thousand units of Hydrazine that my plasma thrusters and resistojet RCS thrusters had no problem using.

The problem was the Rontgen engine, I'm sure of it. I know WHERE the problem was, just not WHAT it was.

Of course, there is the possibility that the above described bug could be due entirely to a long play session (2-3+ hours). Even tho I'm forcing DX11 on an nVidia card, it's entirely possible I was starting to run out of ram.

I don't know. To be honest, my previous post was a mostly rational "rage-post" if such a thing even exists. I was angry and frustrated because the spaceplane that I built that has been very reliable previously, didn't work. I can tell now that it shows in that post, and I should have given myself a bit of time to regain my composure. Maybe I would have even caught the fact that the engine patches moved on me, who knows.

What I'm going to do for the time being is replace the Rontgen patch with the one from v4.0.1 and see if that does anything.

While comparing the 4.0.1 and 4.1.0 versions of the Rontgen patch, I noticed that they are structured very differently. I don't see why they should be, as the other one was working and this one, apparently, wasn't. Perhaps it's the fact that you're adding an engine module to an engine that already has an engine module, resulting in the same kind of "two engine modules in the same engine causes problems" thing we went over with the ESTOC to Plasma Thruster patches. Bottom line: The way the patch worked in 4.0.1 resulted in a functional engine. The way the patch "works" in 4.1.0 results in an engine that is malfunctioning.

I would suggest sticking with the 4.0.1 style of patch, it seems to result in more consistently working patches. In other words, modify existing modules instead of inserting entire new modules. If you must insert new modules, make sure you get rid of the old ones first. TRIPLE check that, as it's the majority of the kind of errors I've been finding in this mod's patches. Remember the ESTOC to Plasma Thruster patches? Same thing seems to be happening all over again. I don't mind pointing out errors, but I like not having errors to point out in the first place.

I realize my posts can sometimes appear blunt, accusatory, or unfeeling. I don't have any excuses for it, but I don't really mean any offense by it.

Errors are things to be fixed, nothing more, nothing less. I'd probably be making my own kind of errors if I was trying to make one of these kind of mods, too. Probably something with the realism mods, as I haven't ever used any of those. Had my fill of needing 40km/s to get to Jupiter while playing Orbiter, and even then I was using a fusion torch star ship.

Edited by SciMan

still freezing up on loading at "MX2_Reactor, even after uninstalling 4.1.0 completly and going to 5.0.0 mk2 KSPI integration. I didnt need to put power.cfg after mk2expansion since you put it before it, but I still had to do the NFE check for the conversion module/fissionreactor to get running, it seams I'm the only one having this problem though... so I guess ill just have to live with it x.x

Well, it appears that my molars have an appointment with my hat. I totally missed that.

As far as using @ vs using %, the file I posted above is a direct copy-paste from the file I downloaded. What's there is in the file on KerbalStuff.

I see that that patch sets a constant 1 degree of gimbal no matter which engine it's patching. Don't you think it should take the max gimbal angle from the KM_Gimbal module and use that for the stock gimbal module? I think that has the capacity to produce better results, but IDK for sure, as the patch doesn't run on my end (I have KM_Gimbal installed).

this is easier & temparary, I will need to check for different numbers on the different axes.

Also, the KM_gimbal modules themselves don't act funny for me, but they make MechJeb go slightly crazy. I just lock the gimbal and use reaction wheels or RCS instead, and the problems go away. I've also heard that there are some MechJeb add-ons that allow MechJeb to work correctly with KM_Gimbal stuff too, but I haven't looked into that. Not sure if that's your problem or not, but locking the gimbal should at least help, I would imagine.

Yeah, that's my problem too. it's just a pain in the neck to have to do that every time.

While comparing the 4.0.1 and 4.1.0 versions of the Rontgen patch, I noticed that they are structured very differently. I don't see why they should be, as the other one was working and this one, apparently, wasn't. Perhaps it's the fact that you're adding an engine module to an engine that already has an engine module, resulting in the same kind of "two engine modules in the same engine causes problems" thing we went over with the ESTOC to Plasma Thruster patches.

You are correct, I forgot to put in the !MODULE[ModuleEngines*]{} for that one.

- - - Updated - - -

5.0.1: Main Sequence Panthera leo

• fixed Thermal Turbojet
  • [hopefully] fixed NFE issue
  • removed top-of-file whitespace from magnetic nozzle cfg

Ohh no! I just updated everything, and loaded up my Career mode. My two space planes destined for Duna were not loaded. They were missing:

M2X.Generator.TH

M2X.Reactor.Tokamak

Did those get renamed or removed?

EDIT: I used ckan to update both KSPIE and the MK2 extended.

- - - Updated - - -

And a quick peak in the .cfg's, and I see those parts are now M2X_Generator_TH and M2X_Reactor_Tokamak. Doh! Are these the new names for good, or is something else happening?

Confirmed on my end too. Newest version, no reactors or generators.

@nordicpc: KSP will often replace underscore characters with periods, especially in logs or debug console.

In other words, something is preventing any of the patches in the reactor patch config from running.

Not sure what's going on here, looking over the same file from previous versions.

EDIT: Aha! Found something.

V4.0.1 Reactor patches are looking for the part and needed plugins like this:

+PART[M2X_Reactor]:FOR[mk2_generator]:NEEDS[WarpPlugin]

V5.X.X Reactor patches are looking for the part and needed plugins like this:

+PART[M2X_Reactor]:FOR[mk2_kspi_generator]:BEFORE[Mk2Expansion]:NEEDS[WarpPlugin]

Here's the difference.

Old: FOR[mk2_generator]

New: FOR[mk2_kspi_generator]

I looked for the thing the new patches are looking for, and I can't find it. I'll test and see if changing that back fixes it.

I also noticed this at the end of the reactor patch:

!PART[M2X_Reactor]:NEEDS[WarpPlugin,!NearFutureElectrical]{}

I assume you're trying to make the part no longer show up in the VAB/SPH, right?

Deleting the part entirely is probably at least slightly overkill.

Why not just use "@category = none" instead? Deletion often breaks things.

That should stop it showing up in the VAB/SPH quite effectively, AND it doesn't break ships/saves because the game can still find the part.

Here's a patch section that should do the same thing that your !PART section is doing, without actually killing the part.

@PART[M2X_Reactor]:NEEDS[WarpPlugin,!NearFutureElectrical]
{
@category = none
}

Basically, I consider deletion to be a tool of absolute last resort. It breaks things. If you can hide things instead of deleting them, it's usually a much better option.

EDIT: The fixes I did worked well, my ships are now working again.

Edited by SciMan
updated info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.