Starlion Industries - KSPI & IFS Compatibility Patches for Fueltanks, Spaceplanes, & more [CKAN]

ABZB

What would you like to see next?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see next?

• Add Mk2 and Mk3 Alcubierre drives as well as other miscellaneous KSPI parts (will take quite some time, need to learn modeling first)
    • Fix unbalanced parts, etc. (please comment what & why)
    • Integrate other part-packs with KSPI (please suggest which one(s))
    • Other

Confirmed on my end too. Newest version, no reactors or generators.

I'm not sure what the cause is, but something is preventing any of the patches in the reactor patch config from running.

Do you have NFE installed? I do not, and maybe the check for it is breaking for us that don't have it.

Do you have NFE installed? I do not, and maybe the check for it is breaking for us that don't have it.

I do not have NFE installed, as I have all my power requirements met by KSPI-E. (when the parts show up, that is)

I edited the previous post with much more info on what I think is happening. Will report back on this post if fixes from that post worked or not.

EDIT: The fixes I detailed in above post seem to have sorted out the problem. My spaceplanes load correctly now.

Edited by SciMan

Sweet, thanks! I'm starting to learn a bit more about KSP mods through this, but you obviously have much more experience than I.

No problem man, I've been playing KSP since 0.13.3, and wrangling part configs since 0.15.

You should try it, it's a lot easier now that we have ModuleManager. Don't have to go into Squad folders and actually modify configs, and it's easier to share part tweaks than ever before.

As far as the reactor patch changes I detailed in post #125, THEY WORKED! Woohoo!.

Don't be afraid to go in and mess with them, so long as you keep a backup you can't mess them up any worse than they already are.

That was kind of the intention - I have no idea how NFE's parts are to be balanced against KSPI, so I intended to replace the NFE part with them. Also, if at least KSPI is installed, the stock reactor is kind of pointless. Based on what you have said, I will change it to make it go category = none when KSPI & NOT NFE is installed - so if NFE is installed alongside, you will get both mods' reactors

- - - Updated - - -

I changed the FOR's as you noted:

Old: FOR[mk2_generator]

New: FOR[mk2_kspi_generator]

because I submitted some pull requests to SuicidalInsanity, as some of the base patches that come straight from his mod conflict with some of mine. I changed the fors to be more clear to others, as now they are being used externally to my own stuff. I made the reactor patches run before the mk2-E folders', as otherwise I have to also delete the NFE patches when both NFE and KSPI are installed, which made me have slightly more lines of code (I saved everyone a handful of kb ;)). It mainly made the code slightly less messy (and more efficient, it has to do very slightly fewer things).

The other main fix from my pull requests to him (btw, it has been merged into his github repository pending his next release as of this morning (basically, in file "Mk2X_NTJ_decay.cfg" first line is now

@PART[M2X_AtomicJet]:NEEDS[!KSPIntegration,!RealFuelsMK2]

) is that the Thermal turbojet will stop having EnrichedUranium & DepletedFuel resources & Propellant-nodes added to it.

You can download that off his github now, if you want, I guess. or just edit or delete the noted file.

-snip-

I made the reactor patches run before the mk2-E folders', as otherwise I have to also delete the NFE patches when both NFE and KSPI are installed, which made me have slightly more lines of code (I saved everyone a handful of kb ;)). It mainly made the code slightly less messy (and more efficient, it has to do very slightly fewer things).

-snip-

Good engineering practices dictate that the best way to do things is to only go to a more complex solution when a simpler and/or easier solution isn't capable of doing the job.

This is good engineering. It's better optimized than the alternative, and it's an elegant solution (worth some bonus points IMO).

Well structured and well commented code is always a nice thing. It's a pain having to go thru someone's "spaghetti code" (Or more often, my own).

So far, your code is very readable, not even close to being "spaghetti code".

Keep it up, it makes finding whatever bugs work their way into the patches easy to find.

So far the only reason I haven't updated this mod is that Mk2Expansion hasn't updated on KerbalStuff. I suppose I could get it from GitHub, but what I have right now is working, so I'd rather not update it until I need to, or until something comes out on one of these that I'll use.

Nothing against you, I'm just doing the whole "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" thing.

Good engineering practices dictate that the best way to do things is to only go to a more complex solution when a simpler and/or easier solution isn't capable of doing the job.

This is good engineering. It's better optimized than the alternative, and it's an elegant solution (worth some bonus points IMO).

Well structured and well commented code is always a nice thing. It's a pain having to go thru someone's "spaghetti code" (Or more often, my own).

So far, your code is very readable, not even close to being "spaghetti code".

Keep it up, it makes finding whatever bugs work their way into the patches easy to find.

So far the only reason I haven't updated this mod is that Mk2Expansion hasn't updated on KerbalStuff. I suppose I could get it from GitHub, but what I have right now is working, so I'd rather not update it until I need to, or until something comes out on one of these that I'll use.

Nothing against you, I'm just doing the whole "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" thing.

wow, thanks :D

makes sense.

The part Freethinker added to KSPI is a fission reactor/thermal turbojet that has a built-in reactor, and amazing ISP, but does not have the ability to supply power to a generator (is realistic).

This will let me do exactly what I wanted to do with that the mk2 thermal turbojet.

Tonight is the start of the jewish new year, I will probably be unavailable for most of today, and I won't be back until Tuesday night, so if you don't see that update today, it will have to wait until Wednesday.

If you do change the current thermal turbojet to include a reactor, can you change the Mk2Expansion "MATTOC" engine to be a standard "nozzle only" thermal turbojet?

The reason I ask is that if a reactor/engine combination can't have a generator attached, it's not able to power the electric RCS or other electric propulsion engines. That would mean I would have to add another reactor with generator, which increases the total mass of the spaceplane.

At that point, I'd rather just use one reactor that can connect both a thermal turbojet nozzle and a generator, like I do now.

If you do change the current thermal turbojet to include a reactor, can you change the Mk2Expansion "MATTOC" engine to be a standard "nozzle only" thermal turbojet?

The reason I ask is that if a reactor/engine combination can't have a generator attached, it's not able to power the electric RCS or other electric propulsion engines. That would mean I would have to add another reactor with generator, which increases the total mass of the spaceplane.

At that point, I'd rather just use one reactor that can connect both a thermal turbojet nozzle and a generator, like I do now.

That is to be the plan. The first version had exactly that, and it was removed due to the generator/nozzle combo not working then.

Some Mk2 parts appear to be missing IFS: the Mk2 to 1.25m Adapter

I think it would also be a great Idea to add CrossFeedEnable and IFS to the wings. That way, it will be possible to place engines inside the wings without ugly fuel lines

Edited by FreeThinker

The part Freethinker added to KSPI is a fission reactor/thermal turbojet that has a built-in reactor, and amazing ISP, but does not have the ability to supply power to a generator (is realistic).

This will let me do exactly what I wanted to do with that the mk2 thermal turbojet.

Tonight is the start of the jewish new year, I will probably be unavailable for most of today, and I won't be back until Tuesday night, so if you don't see that update today, it will have to wait until Wednesday.

Notice, in the next release, reactors will have the optional ability to have a build in alternator. This means they can produce a significant amount of electric-charge power when idle. The amount of power will be no where near the power delivered by a generator, but it will be enough to run life support and help cool the fuel tanks

Edited by FreeThinker

R4-D "Rontgen" Atomic Thermal TurboJet

- Now featuring built-in Air Intake (KSPI module update allowed me to add a good-for-one-intake precooler to an engine part (previously this was terribly bugged) so I restored the air intake from the base part cfg)

R4-D* "Sievert" Lightbulb TurboJet

- New part, much like the Rontgen, except now possesing a built-in Fission Reactor.

- Also includes new air intake feature.

- Supplies no power to generators. A future KSPI update will allow them to generate reasonable current when the engine is idle. In the meantime, for this purpose, only .01% (about .2 (theoretical) MW when fully upgraded) of the reactor's power gets to the generator.

- Much heavier and more expensive.

Fuel Switch Patch

- Now, if neither RealFuels nor MFT is installed, all parts with any of LF, Oxidizer, XenonGas, and monoprop will be converted to IFS (If RF is not present, IFS options now include the proper LFO mixture).

- - - Updated - - -

Some Mk2 parts appear to be missing IFS: the Mk2 to 1.25m Adapter

I think it would also be a great Idea to add CrossFeedEnable and IFS to the wings. That way, it will be possible to place engines inside the wings without ugly fuel lines

ModuleCrossFeed's been in for a few versions. Currently only the wings with pre-existing fuel tanks have been given IFS. Not sure if I should go with adding [small] tanks to the small wings. It seems that our forums' polls cannot be edited...

- - - Updated - - -

Notice, in the next release, reactors will have the optional ability to have a build in alternator. This means they can produce a significant amount of electric-charge power when idle. The amount of power will be no where near the power delivered by a generator, but it will be enough to run life support and help cool the fuel tanks

For my current release, I have the thermalpowerefficiency at .0001, which would work out to a theoretical max of .2 MW... As I am imagining it, this would be useful for Life support, as you mentioned, as well as for [eventually] starting a fusion reactor [for the ISRU, for example].

EDIT:

I forgot to test the updates (fasting makes silly errors happen). If anyone has a problem, sorry, and let me know at https://github.com/ABZB/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/issues if possible (just easier to refernce, when, for example, I make the same coding error next week).

Edited by ABZB

ModuleCrossFeed's been in for a few versions. Currently only the wings with pre-existing fuel tanks have been given IFS. Not sure if I should go with adding [small] tanks to the small wings. It seems that our forums' polls cannot be edited...

Look this is what I mean.

hYtdbcl.png

See the fuel lines? I want to use my hybrid ramjet without them

Notice in the next release, I'm going to include the following fix:

@PART[M2X_Reactor_DustyPlasma]:NEEDS[KSPIntegration]:AFTER[KSPIntegration]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
@MODULE[InterstellarFissionPBDP]
{
@reactorType = 4
}
}

@PART[M2X_Reactor_Tokamak]:NEEDS[KSPIntegration]:AFTER[KSPIntegration]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
{
@reactorType = 8
@upgradedReactorType = 8
}
}

Notice I'm doing a little rerouting. 2 -> 4 and 4 -> 8

Edited by FreeThinker

Notice in the next release, I'm going to include the following fix:

@PART[M2X_Reactor_DustyPlasma]:NEEDS[KSPIntegration]:AFTER[KSPIntegration]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
{
@reactorType = 4
}
}

@PART[M2X_Reactor_Tokamak]:NEEDS[KSPIntegration]:AFTER[KSPIntegration]:FOR[WarpPlugin]
{
{
@reactorType = 8
@upgradedReactorType = 8
}
}

Notice I'm doing a little rerouting. 2 -> 4 and 4 -> 8

gotcha. I will change my cfgs manually once that update comes out.

I haven't been able to test if the above script actually works, so could you please verify if it works at all?

Looking at the reactor-fuel config, it looks like you changed the way the reactors know what fuels they can use? I haven't booted up KSP yet, so if the code works, then the cfg should work.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at the reactor-fuel config, it looks like you changed the way the reactors know what fuels they can use? I haven't booted up KSP yet, so if the code works, then the cfg should work.

6.0.0: SuperGiant Panthera tigris

implemented R4-D* "Sievert" Lightbulb TurboJet alternator, engine rebalancing to match KSPI's, updated reactor cfgs.

Edited by ABZB

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.