Starlion Industries - KSPI & IFS Compatibility Patches for Fueltanks, Spaceplanes, & more [CKAN]

ABZB

What would you like to see next?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see next?

• Add Mk2 and Mk3 Alcubierre drives as well as other miscellaneous KSPI parts (will take quite some time, need to learn modeling first)
    • Fix unbalanced parts, etc. (please comment what & why)
    • Integrate other part-packs with KSPI (please suggest which one(s))
    • Other

UPDATE #2: the NFS VASIMR also correctly attaches.  However it makes no thrust (gets no fuel flow) when using liquid hydrogen, in a craft where both 1. other fuels such as hydrazine or atmosphere do produce thrust in the same engine, and 2. other engines on the craft can pull liquid hydrogen OK, and 3. it's not a fuel routing issue because if I swap H2 for hydrazine and change nothing else, it works.

This appears to be an atmosphere issue - the VASIMR will make thrust on liquid H2 in a vacuum, but not in atmosphere.  Not sure why this would be, as it works with other fuels in atmosphere.

Edited by ss8913
added info about atmosphere.

Just a note, the current version support Skunkwork's drop-tanks with IFS (you can install them via CKAN under 'wing drop tanks' - note that CKAN has BDarmory as a dependency, though (my patch will remove the BDarmory module if it is not installed, though)). The next version will add a second set of them with MFT, and change the scaling to make sense (so hold off on any long-term ship for the moment).

EDIT: 

Said update, 8.9.0: Perfectly Ultimate Great SuperGiant Panthera tigris, is live. 

Edited by ABZB

8.9.1: Perfectly Ultimate Great SuperGiant Panthera leo is up. There was an issue with my droptank patch, now fixed. Kerbalstuff is currently timing out for me, until I can upload it to there (and CKAN can grab it) you can also grab it manually from github

19 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

You fixed the mk2 attachment problems in the latest update as well - thanks for that :)  Wasn't mentioned in your release notes but it's a fairly major bug fix and much appreciated.

ah - excellent!

That was actually a fix I had not yet tested, and put in the release by accident... Festivus miracle, I guess!

Or the Great Spaghetti Kraken touched our spaceplanes with its green, noodly, rocket-fuel drenched appendages.

Edited by ABZB

Noticed your questionnaire and I thought it would be pretty awesome if Nertea's NF Electrical was integrated (Also NFE and the patch don't jive, something to do with the reactor/nuclear rockets, haven't figured out what it is specifically yet). Just a thought though, it's your mod aha!

thanks for the great patch!!

(Edit) Actually ignore that bit about NFE and the patch cause I haven't tested it with stock just those two mods (plus KSPI and interstellar that is)

Checked it and I'm dumb it's not NFE, it's something else that's having an issue with the patched mk2 reactor. Has something to do w/ NFE though. Gonna keep looking.

Edited by Tarrence12
Noting clarification of added edit

Since this is born for spaceplanes, a dream would be to use IFS with B9 Aerospace. The older versions of B9 used Firespitter, so it was impossible to override it (it was also used for animations), but the last one has a proper plugin, B9 Animation Module. Blowfish said it will be much easier to work with it.

Please note that the next release of the Mk2 Expansion pack (currently in pre-release testing, available off of github) has a unique part model for the pre-cooler. It will be replacing the current patch-made one. It has the same internal part-name, so existing craft will just need to be adjusted for a slightly different length, in the editor.

• 3 weeks later...

ABZB - I just got the Mk4 spaceplane mod, and for some reason it doesn't honor your changes to use interstellar fuels in the parts... so my question is, 1. are you willing to do this?  and 2. if not, can you point me in the right direction so I can do it myself and send you a patch when I have it working?  I'm referring to Nertea's "Mark4 Spaceplane System" mod.

On 1/23/2016 at 7:43 PM, ss8913 said:

ABZB - I just got the Mk4 spaceplane mod, and for some reason it doesn't honor your changes to use interstellar fuels in the parts... so my question is, 1. are you willing to do this?  and 2. if not, can you point me in the right direction so I can do it myself and send you a patch when I have it working?  I'm referring to Nertea's "Mark4 Spaceplane System" mod.

the reasons for which it [usually] would not be applied are as follows:

1) the mk4 parts have ModuleFuelTanks or IFS modules in the part .cfg files - in this case my patches ignore them, to blanket avoid screwing up other mods.

2) there is a patch file in the mk4 download that adds at least one of ModuleFuelTanks or IFS modules.

3) The standard RF or MFT download's patches include a patch to add ModuleFuelTanks to part(s) from mk4 part-pack.

if it's 1, you would have to go through each cfg and remove the MFT or IFS module, adding a LiquidFuel resource of the appropriate maxAmount if there is no resource node.

if it's 2 or 3, you would simply have to locate the file that does that, and delete it (or remove those lines if the file does other things)

22 hours ago, ABZB said:

the reasons for which it [usually] would not be applied are as follows:

1) the mk4 parts have ModuleFuelTanks or IFS modules in the part .cfg files - in this case my patches ignore them, to blanket avoid screwing up other mods.

2) there is a patch file in the mk4 download that adds at least one of ModuleFuelTanks or IFS modules.

3) The standard RF or MFT download's patches include a patch to add ModuleFuelTanks to part(s) from mk4 part-pack.

if it's 1, you would have to go through each cfg and remove the MFT or IFS module, adding a LiquidFuel resource of the appropriate maxAmount if there is no resource node.

if it's 2 or 3, you would simply have to locate the file that does that, and delete it (or remove those lines if the file does other things)

It's #1.  That is weird that Nertea would have included InterstellarFuelSwitch, and then limited them to stock fuels... I suppose I see how to fix it, then, will have to go through all these configs and edit them to add the other fuel types ><

sigh.  Mark4 spaceplane mod has no forum thread.  Not sure how to get a hold of the author to either talk about this or to submit a fix.  I'd hate to have a one-off fix that only I have, then I can't share craft files with anyone.

So I just take out the entire InterstellarFuelSwitch module section and replace it with a static liquidfuel resource, and your mod brings in the unicorns and rainbows to magically satisfy my every desire?  That's pretty nice.  I will post the patch.. somewhere at least.  Maybe here.

53 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

sigh.  Mark4 spaceplane mod has no forum thread.  Not sure how to get a hold of the author to either talk about this or to submit a fix.  I'd hate to have a one-off fix that only I have, then I can't share craft files with anyone.

So I just take out the entire InterstellarFuelSwitch module section and replace it with a static liquidfuel resource, and your mod brings in the unicorns and rainbows to magically satisfy my every desire?  That's pretty nice.  I will post the patch.. somewhere at least.  Maybe here.

yeah - that was my intent - i wrote it to be as generic as possible.

OK so this might just be me being thick, or just very out of date (haven't used KSPI since 0.90), or both ^^ but I didn't quite understand the OP. It seems to me that KSPI-E now adds fuel switch options to all tanks yes? So that I can use any tank and add in the KSPI fuels? Is that correct, and if so does it apply to Procedural Parts tanks as well?

What I have been trying for the last few days is getting a heavily modded install set up with RO, RP-0 and KSPI-E (plus some others not relevant for this). Now RO includes real fuels and if I understood the OP correctly Real Fuels does not work with KSPI right? Or does it just not with this patchset? I'm sorry for wasting your time like this but I'm just really confused since in the KSPI-E thread it says something about realfuels as well...

RF does not actually conflict with KSPI or my patch - My patch generally refrains from adding IFS to tanks that have the ModuleFuelTanks module. There is no conflict with resources - If RF is installed, my tanks simply have a Kerosene resource option in place of the LiquidFuel option.

CKAN thinks that IFS & RF conflict (I think they did at one point, but is long since fixed), so you have to install one or the other manually.

IFS in general is not currently compatible with Procedural parts - they don't speak with each other. 

3 hours ago, TheXRuler said:

OK so this might just be me being thick, or just very out of date (haven't used KSPI since 0.90), or both ^^ but I didn't quite understand the OP. It seems to me that KSPI-E now adds fuel switch options to all tanks yes?

No, KSPI-E  intentialy does not do this, precicely to prevent any unwanted ncompatibility issues. It only add IFS to a collection of tanks that come with KSPI.

This leaves room for mods like ABZB Integrate mod which do intentionaly add it to exisitng tanks, so any resulting issies must be solved by him.

Edited by FreeThinker

Wow thanks for the fast reply :) that's good news, I think?

13 minutes ago, ABZB said:

*snip*My patch generally refrains from adding IFS to tanks that have the ModuleFuelTanks module. There is no conflict with resources - If RF is installed, my tanks simply have a Kerosene resource option in place of the LiquidFuel option.*snip*

I am criminally unaware of what mods use which modules I'm afraid so one more dumb question. I assume ModuleFuelTanks is native to Real Fuels yes? Your patch includes tanks with IFS enabled, so I could just install KSPI-E, your patch and RO and everything "should" work fine?

9 minutes ago, TheXRuler said:

Wow thanks for the fast reply :) that's good news, I think?

I am criminally unaware of what mods use which modules I'm afraid so one more dumb question. I assume ModuleFuelTanks is native to Real Fuels yes? Your patch includes tanks with IFS enabled, so I could just install KSPI-E, your patch and RO and everything "should" work fine?

Yes, ModuleFuelTanks is the tank module for RealFuels.

In my personal install, I run RF and this, basically RealFuels will apply to all tanks that it normally would, except for tanks that have ONLY liquidfuel (for example, the Mk2 regular Fuselage parts, and the MK1 LF-only fuselage will get IFS, but the Mk2 Rocket Fuselages (that in stock have both LiquidFuel & Oxidizer resources) will get the usual RealFuels module, this way, you have an option of which kind you want when building the craft.

Since you will have RF installed, one of the tank options (on the parts my patch acts on) will be the appropriate RF amount of Kerosene.

Looks like the mark4 rabbithole is deeper than i thought.  It also uses interstellarmeshswitch which goes nut-bar if you take IFS out and tries to literally display all possible textures at once, and I'm not sure how to get around this.  Taking out the mesh switch or leaving it in has the same effect.  happens as soon as you remove the IFS config from it in either case.

9 hours ago, ss8913 said:

Looks like the mark4 rabbithole is deeper than i thought.  It also uses interstellarmeshswitch which goes nut-bar if you take IFS out and tries to literally display all possible textures at once, and I'm not sure how to get around this.  Taking out the mesh switch or leaving it in has the same effect.  happens as soon as you remove the IFS config from it in either case.

Without grabbing the mod & looking at its file structure, I would say try to find the folder(s) where those various alternate textures are stored, and delete all but one of them, maybe.

I like the idea of auto-detecting mods.

Is there a way you could detect FS_Fueswitch and FS_Meshswitch and change them to their KSPI equivilants?

A lot of mods of this type seem to create a conflict with FS_Fueswitch parts.

Additionally, if you could auto-detect parts that have fuel-types that you don't have and remove those fuel types, that would be extremely useful to improving mods.

the issue I run into with pulling the fuel-amount from the FS fuelswitch (because standard resource nodes are redundant and often not included) is that the resource amounts are stored in a delimited field (the ; and ,) and I am not sure how to parse that with MM - I also am not sure how to tell MM to conditionally add the different fuels in a single tank together (if it is LFO, for example) or just read a single fuel (if its just an LF tank, for example)...

I am rather strapped for time atm, so if anyone else has the time to research & come up with the relevant code, I'll integrate into the mod.

Just an FYI - to anyone using the preliminary release of the next version of MK2 Expansion(https://github.com/SuicidalInsanity/Mk2Expansion/releases) - I am holding a bunch of changes & upgrades that are dependant, in whole and in part, on that. You can grab my pre-release build for that off of my Github (https://github.com/ABZB/Mk2_Extended_KSPI_Integration/releases/tag/8.9.1.T)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.