Anyone be interested in helping script a dynamic music plugin?

pauladam316

I had a cool idea for a plugin that changes the music for ksp to a dynamic soundtrack that changes depending on what you are doing in the game. for example there would be a song playing on takeoff that would change as you reached specific altitudes. I am currently working on the music for it but I need someone to help script a plugin for the game. Would anyone be interested?

I had a cool idea for a plugin that changes the music for ksp to a dynamic soundtrack that changes depending on what you are doing in the game. for example there would be a song playing on takeoff that would change as you reached specific altitudes. I am currently working on the music for it but I need someone to help script a plugin for the game. Would anyone be interested?

Hmmm... perhaps you'd be interested in some Quid Pro Quo work? I'm working on my next contract pack project, and would like to have some specific ambience music for a cutscene-style sequence at the end (probably 30-60 seconds long). If you'd be willing to work on that for me, I can put your plugin together. Are you able to post or PM a sample of the type of thing you're working on?

In terms of the plugins we'll have to discuss the specifics of what you're looking for, but taking a quick look it should be possible. The constraints that I can see is that the samples will need to be encoded in Ogg Vorbis. Aside from that, the following should be possible:

1. Straight-replacement of stock music, which are:

1. Main Menu theme
    2. Main Menu ambiance
    3. Credits
    4. Tracking Station
    5. Space Center
    6. VAB/SPH Ambiance
    7. Editor (List of arbitrary length)
    8. Astronaut Complex
    9. Admin Facility
    10. R&D
    11. Mission Control
    12. Flight (List of arbitrary length)

13. Changing music on coded events (there's tons of possibilities, some easy, some hard - let me know the specifics of what you have in mind, and I'll let you know how difficult it is).
    14. Cross-fading
    15. Cross-fading into a specific time index (in PCM samples, not absolute time)

Thanks for the reply! the music I am currently working on is not my own composition. I am currently working on changing the interstellar soundtrack to work for my purposes. I would want to start with making music for takeoff of rockets and reentry, with scripted music changes at various altitudes. Would this be possible? Also if you are okay with using existing music that I can modify for your project I would love to help you out!

Edited by pauladam316

Oh, I misunderstood your original post and though it was your own composition. I have no problem with reuse of existing music, as long as it is allowable within the license the composition is released under. Remixing the Interstellar soundtrack for personal use is probably okay (IANAL, so don't quote me on that) - but releasing it wouldn't be (and would also go against Squad's add-on posting rules). The creative commons site has a page about were to find music under the creative commons license for use in videos (which in general would be okay for use in a mod too).

So I can't support you if your approach will be remixing the Interstellar soundtrack. If you're willing to do this using music released under a more open license, then I'll still be willing to work on this.

Quick update. I had a chance to start this tonight, and got the bones of the plugin in place. Right now it can replace any stock music, except the in-flight stuff (which is where the bulk of the complexity comes from). But got it loading the settings from a config file, so that side of things is basically done. I'll probably need one more night on it and then I'll put a pre-release on GitHub.

My current thinking is that I will release it as a standalone mod, but you can bundle it as part of your mod. I won't formally release it until you're ready to go on your side, in case you find bugs or have additional feature requests. That work for you?

Okay, initial beta release of Music Replacer is up, you can get it here. Documentation is on the main GitHub page. Right now it supports:

• Replacing the single music samples for various scenes (main menu, tracking station, etc.)
  • Adding samples to the construction or space (flight) lists
  • Replacing the construction or space lists entirely
  • Adding samples that will be played in space/flight under specific conditions (currently supports celestial body and altitude filters).
  • Automatic crossfade when changing music mid-stream

There's a bunch of debug still in this version in case something goes wrong - just provide a KSP.log if you have an issue to report. Let me know if there's other features you need (specifically other conditions you want to check for to provide replacement music. Let me know when you're ready to release, and I'll turn this into a formal release with a thread, etc. on the forums.

Have you checked SoundTrack Editor? Believe that plugin already does or is planned to include all the features you long for, and best would be if you could work along its author. Also note it already has a collection of pieces available.

Have you checked SoundTrack Editor? Believe that plugin already does or is planned to include all the features you long for, and best would be if you could work along its author. Also note it already has a collection of pieces available.

Well #$%&. If I had known about that I wouldn't have gone and built something myself.

@pauladam316 - I'd highly recommend looking at what diamedea linked to. Although what I wrote supports your requirements that you requested, SoundTrack Editor has a LOT more features.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.