What's so bad about Dres?

More Boosters

Who WOULDN'T want a volcano planet/moon? But then again, is Squad even capable of creating such a thing? Dynamic lava and smoke?

I do like the idea of a Xenon mine, but gas mining a rock sounds dubious. Building a gas mine on Jool sounds more interesting and challenging, but that leaves Dres without any uniqueness, so...

We mine for helium. In fact, underground pockets of helium are the only terrestrial source, because it is so light that it migrates to the top of the atmosphere and then is stripped off by the solar wind.

That being said, turning "ore" into argon is pretty silly, but we already can turn it into either hydrocarbon OR oxygen, with no loss of mass whichever we choose! That's obviously magical, or at least features nuclear transformation.

I would much rather have interesting surface activities such (cryo)volcanoes, geysers, lava lakes and (dense) frigid atmospheres than underground structures to be honest.

They and caves are not mutually exclusive. Your things would be more realistic on larger bodies. Caves would be suitable to smaller bodies which do not have internal heat, atmosphere or strong gravity which collapses cavities.

But you are right. If I had to choose I would also take things you mentioned. But they are even more complicated to program and need huge amounts of processor time.

They and caves are not mutually exclusive. Your things would be more realistic on larger bodies. Caves would be suitable to smaller bodies which do not have internal heat, atmosphere or strong gravity which collapses cavities.
Yeah, that's true. Caves would make rovers more interested, but there would have to be some interesting stuff see in them. Crystal formations, maybe?

I would much rather have interesting surface activities such (cryo)volcanoes, geysers, lava lakes and (dense) frigid atmospheres than underground structures to be honest.

And still Dres landing would be "plant a flag on the volcano, take screenshot, pick soil sample, fly home."

Think of a feature that would make a player spend at least a week on Dres and want to build a base here.

The planet core has a high anti-matter content? A new kind of drive, fuel for which can only be obtained by mining the hard-to-reach core?

We mine for helium. In fact, underground pockets of helium are the only terrestrial source, because it is so light that it migrates to the top of the atmosphere and then is stripped off by the solar wind.

That being said, turning "ore" into argon is pretty silly, but we already can turn it into either hydrocarbon OR oxygen, with no loss of mass whichever we choose! That's obviously magical, or at least features nuclear transformation.

As I understand it, xenon is mined from air sepertation. This makes asteroids a poor candidate for mining xenon. As I also understand it, Jupiter has an unusually large amount of Xenon in it's atmosphere, which is why I pointed to Jool as a place to mine it.

As I understand it, xenon is mined from air sepertation. This makes asteroids a poor candidate for mining xenon. As I also understand it, Jupiter has an unusually large amount of Xenon in it's atmosphere, which is why I pointed to Jool as a place to mine it.
I guess having Jool as a Xenon-source would make more sense, but this does not solve the perceived Dres problem. I think that modifications to the 'Dresteroids' would be the easiest option to make it more interesting. Like I said, having class D & E asteroids exclusively appearing around Dres instead of near Kerbin.

I suggest that exploration would be added to KSP. There could be randomly generated spots on planets where you can find large number of science points (or other resources). Some things would need an orbiter with suitable detectors and some things would need a lander or rover. Maybe you could use an orbiter to search potentially interesting locations and get some points. Then you could send surface probes to further investigation and maybe get more points.

I know that Squad hates randomness. It would not have to be really random. If the system was based on one 32 bit seed number there would be the stock world same for all and 4 billion unknown worlds for explorers.

So I made a ship that can mine and refuel itself and it has about 3400 dV full and can hold another 3000 ore for processing into more fuel. It traveled by hopping from planet to planet and I definitely stopped at Dres after I hit Ike and went to Pol right after that before I turned back home because my solar panels were losing a lot of efficiency. Well I made a new ship with some fuel cells to power the drills so now I can get past Jool but I will be stopping at Dres again to refuel. I like it, it's an easy transfer from Duna where I have to stop anyway. :D Just my input, If i can figure out how to take a decent screenshot I'll show you my ship on Dres

I think they should add shiny spots after they figure out for certain what's up at Ceres. Ceres doesn't get enough love either. I still find people that don't even know Ceres exists. I say, let Dres be a good Ceres analog. Actually update Dres as Dawn updates us on our knowledge of Ceres!

I think they should add shiny spots after they figure out for certain what's up at Ceres. Ceres doesn't get enough love either. I still find people that don't even know Ceres exists. I say, let Dres be a good Ceres analog. Actually update Dres as Dawn updates us on our knowledge of Ceres!

...Ceres? What's a Ceres? Just kiddin'~

(I would support a Dres->Ceres overhaul, especially if it could be made into less of an angry space potato. That being said, I think it would be neat if we had a Pluto-like system of small muns somewhere too...)

Don't lie, your Dres landing you used to fake the Mun landing was itself faked on Moho !

Uhoh! You're on to me! I'm going to have to fake my Moho landing (which I used to fake the Dres landing, which I used to fake the Mun landing) somewhere now.. .ahh.. Eeloo!

:)

Nah, Eeloo is too visually distinct, I'm going to fak my Mun and Dres landings on Tylo.

The lander will look too big for Mun/Dres, but I'll say that I'm a Noob that builds things way too big.

I just need to make sure I don't accidentally have Jool in the sky.

Personally, I went to Dres once, landed in the canyons, jetpacked up out of the canyons, then back down to my lander at the bottom of the canyon, and that was it.

But isn't that pretty much it for every planet?

Land, plant a flag, go back up?

Edited by KerikBalm

But isn't that pretty much it for every planet?

Land, plant a flag, go back up?

It used to be. Now you can leave a mining rig and/or science lab there. (But there is no way anybody should get to Dres and not already have their science tree filled out.)

It used to be. Now you can leave a mining rig and/or science lab there. (But there is no way anybody should get to Dres and not already have their science tree filled out.)

Actually, you can't even complete the tech tree in 1.0 without deliberately grinding science. If you just fly around the system, taking reasonable measurements, collecting a few surface samples, and sending reasonable reports, you run out of planets before you have completed the tech tree.

In my only 1.0.x career mode game so far, I've visited Duna, Ike, Eve, Gilly, Dres, Jool, Tylo, Pol, Bop, and Moho, but I've only unlocked a couple of 550-point nodes. In 0.90, I had already completed the tech tree at this point, because contracts gave you much more science. Unfortunately 1.0 removed almost all contract science, making grinding the only way to complete the tech tree.

Actually, you can't even complete the tech tree in 1.0 without deliberately grinding science. If you just fly around the system, taking reasonable measurements, collecting a few surface samples, and sending reasonable reports, you run out of planets before you have completed the tech tree.

In my only 1.0.x career mode game so far, I've visited Duna, Ike, Eve, Gilly, Dres, Jool, Tylo, Pol, Bop, and Moho, but I've only unlocked a couple of 550-point nodes. In 0.90, I had already completed the tech tree at this point, because contracts gave you much more science. Unfortunately 1.0 removed almost all contract science, making grinding the only way to complete the tech tree.

It's all about the ravioli detector seeing as how it can get a new experiment in each different biome in space both high and low.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.