[1.0.4] Houston v.1.0.0 - A Mission Control UI for Telemachus!

tcannonfodder

Houston: KSP Mission Control

Have you ever been launching Kerbals into the Sun and thought

You know what I need? MOAR SCREENS!

Do you have a bunch of friends who haven't done something unbelievably nerdy in the past 6 months?

If the answer to either of these questions is "Sure?", then behold Houston:

ascension-preview.gif

Houston is a UI for Telemachus, the premiere mod for KSP Telemetry and Flight Control data.

Houston's designed for Mission Control Parties. What's a Mission Control Party? It's when you get a bunch of friends together and each person has a separate station, and you somehow have to coordinate with the pilot (who you may have locked in the bathroom with some snacks for dramatic effect) to try to pull off an actual mission.

You could also use it playing solo, switching between stations as needed.

Want to see some more? Here's a GIF of the Ground Track in action!

ground-track-preview.gif

What's Houston got?

Houston has a ton of really cool features, some of which work!

• A ground track, for plotting the path of a ship in orbit
  • An altitude estimate for said ground track (heavy emphasis on "estimate")
  • Readouts for the stock resource types in KSP
  • Status light indicators
  • A 3D navball (huuge thanks to Lokaltog/KeRD for an awesome implementation)
  • Throttle and Atmosphere gauges
  • Position Maps
  • A Hohmann Transfer tool (not guaranteed to properly transfer you as per Hohmann's specifications)
  • Links to the Telemachus Console and MKON
  • Data Tables, whoooo!

UIs

Houston was designed to have specialized UIs for specific stations or contexts. That way you can divide the work across a team and only focus on the relevant data. So far, Houston has:

• A ground track/orbit overview
  • An ascension module
  • A landing module
  • Combined BOOST/EECOM stations
  • A FIDO station
  • SCIEEENNNCEEE Station

navigation.png

Everything's accessible through a pulldown menu, including links to the Telemachus console or MKON

[Download from Curse]

[source code on Github]

That's awesome, Cannon! Thank you for this.

Now, if I may make an (exensive) request... What are the possibilities of including the following features?

Landing:

• Latitude/Longitude (although there's the map, does it show actual numbers, or graphics only?)

Orbit:

• Vessel Angle to Prograde
  • Orbit Type (Orbital, sub-orbital, escape)

Vessel:

• Current craft mass
  • Current ISP
  • Current Max Thrust

Panel for next orbit path:

• Time to SOI Change
  • Apoapsis (at next body)
  • Periapsis (at next body)

Target (docking, body encounter, etc):

• Closest distance to Target
  • Target's Time to Periapsis
  • Target's Orbital Period
  • Target's Argument of Periapsis
  • Target's True Anomaly

I'm sorry if this scares you, and I'm sorry for asking that much.

I know this is a big request list (for maybe through the next few christmases?), and some of these items may not even be on Telemachus' API, and might need to be acquired the same way as MechJeb does... But those are some lacking information I really miss when playing Mission Control, with a pilot IVA only (no map mode). There's some more calc involved that way, and some things are quite impossible to achieve without these raw data. :)

Edited by Kowgan

Hey Kowgan!

I'm really happy you gave this a shot! Your Delta-V map has been awesome for planning my missions!

At a quick glance, I can definitely include the following:

Landing Module

* Lat/Long

Orbit:

* Vessel Angle to Prograde

Target (docking, body encounter, etc):

* Everything listed except Target True Anomaly is actually in the Science module :)

The other stuff might be possible, but would involve more calculations. Since this is a side project, it's kinda hard for me to dedicate resources to it, but I'll try! :D If you want to take a stab at adding it in, the code's on Github and I've tried to make it as clear as possible, and I'd love Pull Requests :)

I'd love to see how you use Houston for IVA flights! KSP: Houston multiplayer tends to be a mix of EVA and IVA for balancing and engagement, and I'd love to see alternate uses for this mod! :D

Thanks again for trying Houston out! (P.S: Galahir950 is my brother and was pilot for our first live demo :))

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This looks great, and i think exactly what i am looking for.

But, I must be a bone head.

How/where to install this??

I must have missed something, but if someone could nudge me in the correct direction to get this to work, I would be very appreciative.

Cheers.

This looks great, and i think exactly what i am looking for.

But, I must be a bone head.

How/where to install this??

I must have missed something, but if someone could nudge me in the correct direction to get this to work, I would be very appreciative.

Cheers.

drtedastro, First install Telemachus, then download this "mod" and plop it in here: ..\GameData\Telemachus\Plugins\PluginData\Telemachus\houston (should all be contained in it's own "Houston" folder).

Then, once you have KSP up and running (with a craft loaded or not), open a web browser to: http://127.0.0.1:8085/telemachus/HOUSTON/ascension/index.html, TADA :)

Also, Props to TCannonFodder for his amazing work!

• 4 weeks later...
drtedastro, First install Telemachus, then download this "mod" and plop it in here: ..\GameData\Telemachus\Plugins\PluginData\Telemachus\houston (should all be contained in it's own "Houston" folder).

Then, once you have KSP up and running (with a craft loaded or not), open a web browser to: http://127.0.0.1:8085/telemachus/HOUSTON/ascension/index.html, TADA :)

Also, Props to TCannonFodder for his amazing work!

What did i do wrong? I installed the houston as you explained it and went to the link and i only get a 404 page not found error.

• 8 months later...

Hey there!

I've been working on Houston off-and-on for the past year, and a pre-release of 1.0 is ready!

It's a huge change, with new navigation, stations, and tools such as:

• A 3D orbital map
  • Maneuver node planner
  • Staging Analysis and Burn prediction

It requires a forked version of Telemachus, but I'm trying to consolidate any active development on Telemachus into a new repository so installation is easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I've started work on an "extension" to Telemachus that might also be a good fit along side Houston! I'm writing a virtual PAO (Public Affairs Office announcer). Like the ambient burbling of the Chatterer Mod, my Virtual PAO, will occasionally make announcements from KSC about the status the current active mission. It will report on relative position to a selected target, the vessel's current velocity and occasionally a resource status report - oh and of course Mission Elapsed Time.  If you are interested, I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions. 

Cheers! BTW you can also reach me via my user name @ gmail, or @ twitter !

FYI. This extension runs as it's own web page inside of Telemachus 2.0. It requires a modern browser to support HTML 5 Voice API for the Text-To-Speech. 

• 5 months later...
On 12/29/2016 at 9:43 PM, Voodoo8648 said:

The Navball is not working for me in Houston. There's also a few other window modes not working such as map screen. Am I doing something wrong or is this utility just outdated? Telemetry data seems to work fine.

Seeing that the title is [1.0.4] Houston v. 1.0.0, I would say that this mod is very outdated. 

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/27/2018 at 3:08 PM, CincaveSeeker62 said:

When I downloaded this mod and tested this on my PC, it worked fine. But when I tried it on my tablet, the url didn't work. Is there something I need to do that the local directions aren't telling me?

I believe you need to find your pc’s IP address. Then use use your PC’s IP address to open the page on other devices.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.