Wraparound fuel tanks.

What do you think of this concept?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this concept?

• It seems good.
    • It's okay.
    • DumbS idea.
    • Very intriguing!
    • I need to play with pens now.

I'm reposting another thread on this forum because I think I can add some more info, why don't we have a mod for wraparound fuel tanks?

I got the idea after playing ith my pen, Biro, basically, when I took it apart there waas three parts, the ink tube which also has the tip, the "Fairing" for the top of the ink tube, and the white shell around the ink tube, so let's turn this into a rocket like I though of.

Shell = Wraparound fuel tank, and engine on that stage uses LF+OX

Ink tube = Hydrogen tank, nozzzle is a cryogenic engine (For interstellar mod)

"Fairing" = Payload, or simply the payload fairing.

So in this scenario, we're launching this "Pen" rocket, first, it's LF+OX engines burn, using the bounty of fuel in the wraparound fuel tank, which is quite tall because of the Ink holder being quite tall, this stage put's the rocket in either an almost-orbit, or sub-orbital trajectory, then, that wraparound fuel tank and it's engine are jettisoned, looking like a drinking straw coming out of a wrapper kind of, leaving the skinny Cryogenic stage andthe payload and (if) fairing, the Cryogenic stage achieves orbit and put's the payload into whatever orbit is needed, because of the high efficiency of cryogenic engines, then, the Cryogenic stage is jettisoned, leaving the payload in the correct orbit.

Something like this is what I really want to be able to achieve in KSP, but it would only be possible with a mod that adds the wraparound fuel tanks (and the interstellar mod.) and I'm not talking about that mod the guy made with the orange wraparound fuel tanks that jettison in 4's, I'm talking something like the Round-8, but big and you can actually put stuff inside the hollow bit. (I never got why you can't actually do that.) This would make for very interesting and unique designs and very good stuff, and it could make rockets look alot nicer by relying on two fuel tanks on the same height in the same place being different stages, theres alot of good things that coud come from this, but I'm no modder, so if anyone can make something like this, it would be amazing, and I would also like to know who agrees with me that it's and interesting concept. Thank you.

Seems like an excellent suggestion for the ProceduralFueltanks, so in addition to cylinder, cone, fillet cylinder and curved cone you could have toroidal type where the player sets the outer diameter, inner diameter and length. The "top" and "bottom" ends could automatically fillet and of course the stack mounting nodes so you can nest things *coughenginescough* inside it.

This is also something that I'd like to see in the game. I've been kinda faking it with saddle tanks that hang around the outer diameter of my SPS or descent engines. Thank you for putting it on the forum. :)

I just made a quick model (with poor texturing) in Blender.

Someone made a request a while back, and a proof of concept was made. You could use it as a starting point. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129568-Wraparound-Fuel-Tanks

Also, if you want to make these shapes in blender, create a cylinder, and choose the cap fill type to nothing, go into edit mode and make it into a quarter of it, and then add the solidify modifier. Don't forget to click add...

Someone made a request a while back, and a proof of concept was made. You could use it as a starting point. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129568-Wraparound-Fuel-Tanks

Also, if you want to make these shapes in blender, create a cylinder, and choose the cap fill type to nothing, go into edit mode and make it into a quarter of it, and then add the solidify modifier. Don't forget to click add...

Hmm well I made a new and improved design (http://imgur.com/a/0TfhR) but now I'm on to the mesh, any help would be appreciated:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/132787-Help-with-Fuel-Tank-Mesh-Collider?p=2164650#post2164650

I'm all for this idea because I really like the addition of the cargo bays and service bays in the latest versions of KSP, and I also played with the Near Future Spacecraft mod briefly, which had a part called a "Service Tank" I believe. Basically it was a rocket fuel tank with a service bay attached on top, including monopropellant tanks, all in one part!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.