[1.1.x] Canadarm v1.71 (5 June 2016)

Jeast

10 hours ago, TheReadPanda said:

Soooo... um, I make everything work fine, have KIS/KAS, IR, etc installed, arm moves around fine. But no matter what I do the magnet must be made out of old hub caps or something, cause it won't pick up, grab ANYTHING. Not sure what is going on there? I can kinda force it (Badly) if I alter the CFG file to way up the magnet force which shows the files are working but I can't actually pick up anything it seems otherwise... any suggestions?

The arm will not pick up anything up that is attached to itself. Its a bit weird but you have to be sure you have undocked the part from your shuttle first before you can pick it up.

7 hours ago, KhaosCorp said:

The arm looks great. 

However its not very functional as-is.

The default gear speed is WAY to slow, would take you 45min+ to install a station module a la STS style.

I can totally understand why you made it unable to surface attach, but making it only compatible with the added node in Mk3 cargo bay is kinda a huge missed opportunity (at least I could only get it to connect to the cargo node, no other parts at all). Great looking arm that I can't use on my orbital station or zero-g planetary bases....

Last is its holding power, unless your unloading satallites or smaller stations modules don't even bother trying to use this arm, the magnet will let go of your cargo. Not sure if the magnet is way to go...kinda supprised no one has tried to make a berthing style arm with the pipe port function from KAS/KIS...as you can 'connect undocked'. Probably some reason why it wont work ya.

Great looking mod, will probably keep it installed despite it shortcomings. Sure would love to see some other mounting options though at the least. 

Even something super-simple like pictured below for station mounting would be awesome

I have used this arm quite a lot and never ever could it not hold on to anything of any mass that fitted into the CB, UNLESS you run out of electric power. Did you make sure you had enough power for the complete movement? Moving the arm and using the magnet itself uses power.

As for the surf attach, there is a mod called Kanadarm2 which is surf attachable, thats the one fitted for what you are asking for. That one also uses the berthing system. The Canadarm 1 is a pure shuttle arm. You could possibly do something with KAS/KIS by placing a smal structural attachement block (not sure how its called exactly, but the smal metal cube part) and try to attach the arm to that node?

The speed is tweaked to be somewhat realistic. This also is one of the foundations of its stabilty. You could try to tweak it if you want it to move faster, its one line in the CFG.

Thanks for your message, if you have concrete sugestions on how to improve this arm, I'm all ears :)

2 hours ago, MisterFister said:

Would it be possible to release this on Spacedock?  Also, do I understand correctly that v1.1.x means that it's anticipated to work on v1.1.2?  (I just wanna make sure I understand)

Yes it wil work with 1.1.2.

I wil look into placing it on Spacedock.

Edited by Jeast

I could add 2 parts. A small docking port for the Canadarm to attach to, which will be placeable using KIS/KAS. You can then chose if you want to use the magnet or the port system. The second part will be a part which you can surf attach and attach the arm shoulder part to. How's that?

I've actually undocked the part, moved it around, played pinball in the bay with gravity hacked and couldn't pick up anything with it. So yeah, I did undock but still no joy there.

So... I'm kinda on hold not using this. Sad cause I love the idea and want to use it in my ISS recreation missions. But until I can actually get it to hold on to things (and big things too) it's not going to fly I'm afraid. Sad Read Panda. 

I have tried putting a harpoon, or claw on the end from KAS instead by the way, still that works kinda but is unstable and looks really wrong.

1 minute ago, TheReadPanda said:

I've actually undocked the part, moved it around, played pinball in the bay with gravity hacked and couldn't pick up anything with it. So yeah, I did undock but still no joy there.

So... I'm kinda on hold not using this. Sad cause I love the idea and want to use it in my ISS recreation missions. But until I can actually get it to hold on to things (and big things too) it's not going to fly I'm afraid. Sad Read Panda. 

I have tried putting a harpoon, or claw on the end from KAS instead by the way, still that works kinda but is unstable and looks really wrong.

I have made a grappling port which works beside the magnet. It uses a docking mechanic. I will upload it today or tomorrow when I have completed the surf attach part for the shoulder.

Just to make sure, you did switch on the magnet by right clicking on the End? ;-)

Well I did a couple of tests. The newly added grapple port works fine. Its an alternative, the magnet is still there as well. My tests show that the magnet is still the most strong and steady way to grab stuff but choice is always good. Fun thing about the grapple ports is that you can attach them on EVA using KIS/KAS.

A couple of pics, 2 showing the new port and 1 showing the magnet in action on a pretty heavy object without any problem @KhaosCorp

Edited by Jeast

26 minutes ago, Jeast said:

Well I did a couple of tests. The newly added grapple port works fine. Its an alternative, the magnet is still there as well. My tests show that the magnet is still the most strong and steady way to grab stuff but choice is always good. Fun thing about the grapple ports is that you can attach them on EVA using KIS/KAS.

A couple of pics, 2 showing the new port and 1 showing the magnet in action on a pretty heavy object without any problem @KhaosCorp

Yes, I did it for the Buran manipulator but decided to unsubscribe from the docking system, a magnet best option.

13 minutes ago, DECQ said:

Yes, I did it for the Buran manipulator but decided to unsubscribe from the docking system, a magnet best option.

Yes indeed.

It is maybe a bit more finicky to grab something with the magnet, but once it is attached it will hold on forever.

11 hours ago, Jeast said:

I have made a grappling port which works beside the magnet. It uses a docking mechanic. I will upload it today or tomorrow when I have completed the surf attach part for the shoulder.

Just to make sure, you did switch on the magnet by right clicking on the End? ;-)

Yep, tried that, tried making an action group, tried everything I could think of. I'll poke it again before my next Thursday ISS KSPTV stream.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎12 at 4:15 AM, Jeast said:

You could possibly do something with KAS/KIS by placing a smal structural attachement block (not sure how its called exactly, but the smal metal cube part) and try to attach the arm to that node?

I think you're referring to the Cubic Octagonal Strut, the little teeny weeny girder segment.  it's a stock part that, I agree, could have a KISKAS port attached to it.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎12 at 9:14 PM, KhaosCorp said:

The default gear speed is WAY to slow, would take you 45min+ to install a station module a la STS style.

I can totally understand why you made it unable to surface attach, but making it only compatible with the added node in Mk3 cargo bay is kinda a huge missed opportunity (at least I could only get it to connect to the cargo node, no other parts at all). Great looking arm that I can't use on my orbital station or zero-g planetary bases....

Well, it takes numerous hours on USSS / ISS deployments, too.  Keep in mind that not only is the arm moving the payload, your payload is causing the arm to move the station / vessel as well.  Slow and steady really is the way to go.

The last statistic I heard was that astronauts / cosmonauts train for an average of five hours for every scheduled hour of manipulator-arm deployment.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎12 at 9:14 PM, KhaosCorp said:

I haven't experienced this, but your description intrigues me.  Are you sure you're attempting to node-attach it?  It should attach to any node, regardless of node size.  Try holding Alt+ while placing, I think that's the method to force node-snap in the VAB / SPH.

Updated. See first post for the download links.

****** CHANGELOG ******
v1.7

Features
        --Grappling port added

BugFixes
        --RPM fixed and re-enabled

On 5/13/2016 at 4:15 AM, TheReadPanda said:

Yep, tried that, tried making an action group, tried everything I could think of. I'll poke it again before my next Thursday ISS KSPTV stream.

I always try to make sure that the effector is as close as possible to being perpendicular to the object. This seems to give the best result.

Edited by Jeast

@Jeast

Try upping KAS magnet forces, We had to up it quite a bit for the magnet in Zodius pack for KSP 1.1.x and new KAS for it to be working properly. Also the breaking force need to be upped quite a bit.

11 minutes ago, Ziw said:

@Jeast

Try upping KAS magnet forces, We had to up it quite a bit for the magnet in Zodius pack for KSP 1.1.x and new KAS for it to be working properly. Also the breaking force need to be upped quite a bit.

@Ziw

Thank you for your suggestion. I don't think the power and breaking force are the problem, they are set really high. I think its the angle (FwdDot and RollDot). They are set so that you have to point the magnet almost straight at the object. I will increase the angle to maybe 10 degrees, see how that works out.

3 hours ago, MisterFister said:

I think you're referring to the Cubic Octagonal Strut, the little teeny weeny girder segment.  it's a stock part that, I agree, could have a KISKAS port attached to it.

Well, it takes numerous hours on USSS / ISS deployments, too.  Keep in mind that not only is the arm moving the payload, your payload is causing the arm to move the station / vessel as well.  Slow and steady really is the way to go.

The last statistic I heard was that astronauts / cosmonauts train for an average of five hours for every scheduled hour of manipulator-arm deployment.

I haven't experienced this, but your description intrigues me.  Are you sure you're attempting to node-attach it?  It should attach to any node, regardless of node size.  Try holding Alt+ while placing, I think that's the method to force node-snap in the VAB / SPH.

Meh, I'm over it.

And the way I see it is if I have to force node attachments there is an issue with the part(s) in question.

Either way, gonna pass on this one. Its far to restrictive in its application and not any more stable than making arms with the IR rework parts anyway.

Looks nice though.

29 minutes ago, KhaosCorp said:

And the way I see it is if I have to force node attachments there is an issue with the part(s) in question.

Well, surface-attach-override is common in the editor interface, so there are stock-only scenarios where it becomes at least helpful, if not necessary.  Let alone mods.  And to be fair, you have to realize that this mod's node size is intentionally rather small, which can enhance difficulties.

30 minutes ago, KhaosCorp said:

Either way, gonna pass on this one. Its far to restrictive in its application and not any more stable than making arms with the IR rework parts anyway.

You realize that this mod "is" IR parts with custom colliders and textures, right?

• 3 weeks later...
On 20 August 2015 at 11:50 PM, Jeast said:

-    Change the camera id's on the End and Lowerarm parts (right click on them), they both are 1 at default. Make sure they have unique id's.

-    Camera in effector and on lowerarm, for IVA use (optional by using RPM)

There is a camera mounted in the effector wich you can use via Rasterpropmonitor

Howdy. :)

I've managed to install this mod and build a Canadarm inside a stock Mk3 cargo bay. Currently sitting on the launch pad to test it out. I have RPM installed, along with KAS and IR. All mods are their latest versions.

So both in the VAB and in-flight, I right-clicked on both the End Effector and Lower Arm parts, but neither pop-up window had the camera ID listed, so I couldn't change that.

In IVA mode, when I click the EXT button on the RPM monitors, I just get a "No Signal" screen, as if there are no cameras aboard. But I can see the camera on the lower arm part.

Is there any particular trick to getting this camera feed to display?

Thanks in advance. :)

On 6/1/2016 at 1:50 PM, DavidHunter said:

Howdy. :)

I've managed to install this mod and build a Canadarm inside a stock Mk3 cargo bay. Currently sitting on the launch pad to test it out. I have RPM installed, along with KAS and IR. All mods are their latest versions.

So both in the VAB and in-flight, I right-clicked on both the End Effector and Lower Arm parts, but neither pop-up window had the camera ID listed, so I couldn't change that.

In IVA mode, when I click the EXT button on the RPM monitors, I just get a "No Signal" screen, as if there are no cameras aboard. But I can see the camera on the lower arm part.

Is there any particular trick to getting this camera feed to display?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi @DavidHunter

Are you sure you have installed the latest version of the arm? In the previous version there was something wrong with the RPM config so I disabled RPM temporarily.

1 hour ago, DavidHunter said:

Yes, I am sure.

OK.

To make sure, could you please open the End.cfg with a texteditor (notepad) and double check if this part is in there:

MODULE
	{
		name = JSIExternalCameraSelector
		cameraContainer = Cameraa
		rotateCamera = 90,180,0
		cameraIDPrefix = ExtCam
	}

1 hour ago, Jeast said:

OK.

To make sure, could you please open the End.cfg with a texteditor (notepad) and double check if this part is in there:

MODULE
	{
		name = JSIExternalCameraSelector
		cameraContainer = Cameraa
		rotateCamera = 90,180,0
		cameraIDPrefix = ExtCam
	}

That was there, but commented out. Ditto in the lower arm file. I uncommented those parts, and the camera ID option appears in the right-click menu on the part in-flight, but still no feed comes through the RPM monitor when in IVA.

I decided to download the current version again via GitHub (I realise sometimes SpaceDock has problems when devs upload new versions; SpaceDock loses parts of ZIP files, etc.). Anyway, running off the Github latest version, I tried to load the same craft in the VAB, but it told me there were invalid parts. None of the Canadarm parts are in the VAB parts list at all now.

13 minutes ago, DavidHunter said:

That was there, but commented out. Ditto in the lower arm file. I uncommented those parts, and the camera ID option appears in the right-click menu on the part in-flight, but still no feed comes through the RPM monitor when in IVA.

I decided to download the current version again via GitHub (I realise sometimes SpaceDock has problems when devs upload new versions; SpaceDock loses parts of ZIP files, etc.). Anyway, running off the Github latest version, I tried to load the same craft in the VAB, but it told me there were invalid parts. None of the Canadarm parts are in the VAB parts list at all now.

Thanks for reporting the issue.

I have replaced every download with a new version 1.71 which includes all the recent changes. Could you try it and let me know if it works?

http://spacedock.info/mod/694/Canadarm

Edited by Jeast

27 minutes ago, DavidHunter said:

Ok, downloaded 1.71, still no parts...

It sounds like you extracted the zip directly to your gamedata folder. There are a couple of folders inside the zip. Only move the ones in the zips Gamedata folder to your own gamedata folder.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.