[1.0.5] CST-100 Starliner - 3.75m 7 Seat Crew Vehicle! (v0.7.6 Nosecone fix and more!)

xxhansonmaxx

7 like the real thing.

Talking about the real thing:

Since it seems like you have been testing this a lot, how well does the battery and mono propellant last when docking and doing orbital maneuvers? I wasn't sure if I had balanced the amount of electric charge and mono in it and having the solar panel point only 1 direction is a pain

Since it seems like you have been testing this a lot, how well does the battery and mono propellant last when docking and doing orbital maneuvers? I wasn't sure if I had balanced the amount of electric charge and mono in it and having the solar panel point only 1 direction is a pain

I've added 100 units of monoprop for a total of 400 because I was running short for de-orbiting, but only if I you rise your PE/AP after the initial parking orbit, if not 300 is enough. For electricity there are not many systems onboard using it, anyway I've added (as you can see on the screens) 4 solar panels on the SM, I'll try without them later.

I've seen a lot of discussion and debate about the scale of the pod, and just to add my 2 cents about it, I think that the pods scale should be determined by a plausible IVA capacity. If you intend to cram 7 kerbals in to this thing, then it should look big enough to fit 7 kerbals inside it. Simple as that.

I definitely have high hopes for this mod and I definitely see it as a front-runner in the competition against SDHI (which I love dont get me wrong) for a complete spacecraft system. Im not quite willing to throw it in to my install in its current state but I will definitely follow this.

New Update! v0.4

Rotated capsule and SM 180 degrees, Updated capsule and heatshield textures, Added new adapters, Increased capsule mono to 50, Decreased sm mono to 200, Decreased ablator on heatshield, Changed tech level for career mode

[Moderator removed defunct website link]

E7LNmMI.jpg

N2XhbFY.jpg

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

Is this supposed to be my nosecone?

http://i.imgur.com/1jHHWPk.png

I fixed it by changing

PART{
name = noseCone
module = Part
author = Hanson Ma, Colton Franke
mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.08, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, -0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, decouple
sound_decoupler_fire = decouple
TechRequired = advAerodynamics
entryCost = 1500
cost = 100
category = Aero
subcategory = 0
title = CST-100 Nose Cone
manufacturer = Boeing
description = Nose cone for the CST-100 that covers the docking port to make it more aerodynamic.
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,1
mass = 0.1
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 9
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 2000 // = 3400
bulkheadProfiles = size2
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDecouple
ejectionForce = 50
explosiveNodeID = bottom
}

}

TO

PART
{
name = noseConeCST
module = Part
author = Hanson Ma, Colton Franke
mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.08, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, -0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, decouple
sound_decoupler_fire = decouple
TechRequired = advAerodynamics
entryCost = 1500
cost = 100
category = Aero
subcategory = 0
title = CST-100 Nose Cone
manufacturer = Boeing
description = Nose cone for the CST-100 that covers the docking port to make it more aerodynamic.
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,1
mass = 0.1
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 9
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 2000 // = 3400
bulkheadProfiles = size2
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDecouple
ejectionForce = 50
explosiveNodeID = bottom
}

}

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, maybe something in ur gamedata has the same name

Yeah, the Squad noseCone

I fixed it by changing

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, the Squad noseCone

Thanks for pointing this out, I have changed all the cfg file names and the name of the parts to not be generic (ex. heatshield was just named heatshield so I changed it to cstheatshield). I'm not sure why my version was working fine.

Nope, maybe something in ur gamedata has the same name

I regret to inform you that this particular issue is a game-breaking bug for career mode. If you attempt to fly, or load a craft file, using the stock Aerodynamic Nose Cone, during a phase of your game where you do not have the CST-100's parts unlocked in the tech tree, your game will bug out and your craft become corrupted, due to it attempting to load a part you do not yet own. Please publish a build with the fix for the "name=noseCone" issue as soon as possible to prevent the hysteria of broken crafts. Thanks :)

Thanks for pointing this out, I have changed all the cfg file names and the name of the parts to not be generic (ex. heatshield was just named heatshield so I changed it to cstheatshield). I'm not sure why my version was working fine.

I wonder if that was my no drag problem with the heatshield. I'll test it.

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked and this was the heatshield name for me: name = CST-100 Heat Shield

I'm not sure how I feel about this pod being 3.75m. Because the actual CST is about the size of the other two main pods of that type: the Dragon and the Orion. And also 7-man crew is quite unbalanced for the game--not so much for a 3.75m pod, but it's quite oversized. Could you at least think about making a 2.5m version, with a smaller crew size?

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

I'm not sure how I feel about this pod being 3.75m. Because the actual CST is about the size of the other two main pods of that type: the Dragon and the Orion. And also 7-man crew is quite unbalanced for the game--not so much for a 3.75m pod, but it's quite oversized. Could you at least think about making a 2.5m version, with a smaller crew size?
CST scales to 3.125m, Orion to 3.75, Dragon and Apollo to 2.5.

What??? You make no sense. The whole point of this mod is a CST-100 replica, which means a 7 person crew and 3.75m pod. If you are looking at this mod because it has a service module then check out this mod (SDHI). There is already a 2.5m pod in the stock game so why would you want this as 2.5? You said that 7-man crew is too much; CST stands for Crew Space Transportation because all it does is transport people to the ISS, basically a space bus.

- - - Updated - - -

CST scales to 3.125m, Orion to 3.75, Dragon and Apollo to 2.5.

IRL

CST=4.56m diameter

Orion=5m diameter

Those are pretty close in size and this mod is not a 100% 1 for 1 replica so we made it 3.75m because it fits the Atlas V (by kartoff) better than 3.125

What??? You make no sense. The whole point of this mod is a CST-100 replica, which means a 7 person crew and 3.75m pod. If you are looking at this mod because it has a service module then check out this mod (SDHI). There is already a 2.5m pod in the stock game so why would you want this as 2.5? You said that 7-man crew is too much; CST stands for Crew Space Transportation because all it does is transport people to the ISS, basically a space bus.

No, I was more concerned about the pod than the service module.

Okay, while I'm able to concede on the 3.75m size: to be honest, there aren't very many pods that size, so it's cool to have something fill that gap.

I don't feel the best about it being 7-man, though. I spoke a little too quickly against it, however, it is way off base compared to the stock game. You see, even the Mk3 pod has two unused seats to change it from 6-man to 4. It's a lot of crew to put in one part (read: a lot of crew that could die in one mistake), so Squad lowered it.

But, since it is a replica, I'd say that if you can fit 7 crew members in the IVA in a realistic way, then okay. I was really just stating how I see that this compares to the stock game.

I do think this mod is coming along very nicely. But I'm saying to be wary of creating an exact replica. While there is certainly a market for that (like FASA), the market is much larger for players who want a stockalike mod. Just keep it reasonable to the game. Anyway, good luck with the rest of your work!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.