[1.0.5] CST-100 Starliner - 3.75m 7 Seat Crew Vehicle! (v0.7.6 Nosecone fix and more!)

xxhansonmaxx

4 hours ago, MacLuky said:

runs fine on 1.2

Good to know, I am suppose to take over development of this (hansonma is no longer developing). What was supposed to be done before this was set back by months of conflicts, my poor work ethic at the time, and the project's model was done poorly making later stages harder to complete. Now that the said project is back on track, I will get started on getting this reduxed once it is finished(starting with a remodel, and a resize because I've been swayed by BDB to do more realistic, but not stock sizes. Basically the capsule would be 3.125 meters with all proper adapters to go to any stock size). I haven't decided if I will add the HL-20 (also known as 'DreamChaser') to this mod or the mod for my current project (which is X-20 Dynasoar btw). If you have any questions, message me, and if I missed anything on taking over mods, if someone could point me in the correct direction, that would be great.

• 2 months later...
On 2/13/2017 at 6:10 AM, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Good to know, I am suppose to take over development of this (hansonma is no longer developing). What was supposed to be done before this was set back by months of conflicts, my poor work ethic at the time, and the project's model was done poorly making later stages harder to complete. Now that the said project is back on track, I will get started on getting this reduxed once it is finished(starting with a remodel, and a resize because I've been swayed by BDB to do more realistic, but not stock sizes. Basically the capsule would be 3.125 meters with all proper adapters to go to any stock size). I haven't decided if I will add the HL-20 (also known as 'DreamChaser') to this mod or the mod for my current project (which is X-20 Dynasoar btw). If you have any questions, message me, and if I missed anything on taking over mods, if someone could point me in the correct direction, that would be great.

You have still any plans to update this to 1.2.2? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2017 at 10:36 PM, Sgt.Shutesie said:

I want to say it still works, correct me if I'm wrong.

Using the latest github master, nosecone stills spam the log with the 256 vertices error and lags the game

Yes, 3.125 fits perfect!

FH615Uy.png

United Launch Alliance (ULA) and Boeing unveiled an add-on aeroskirt to the Atlas V rocket that will launch Boeing’s CST-100 Starliner capsule for NASA. It was developed after engineers encountered difficulties with aerodynamic stability and loads resulting from the difference in width between the capsule and the rocket.

The Starliner capsule is wider than the Atlas V launch vehicle on which it would sit atop. During the ascent phase, this would cause an aerodynamic dead zone just behind the spacecraft, generating drag and dangerous differences in pressure.

The aeroskirt would attach aft of the spacecraft, extending the Starliner Service Module’s cylindrical surface to smooth out the air flow over the integrated capsule/rocket and bring load margins back to acceptable flight levels.

0cI27g7.png

Read more

Edited by Drakenex

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
17 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Great Mod!

Does this work with 1.3?

My CSM immediately Decouples the capsule as soon as the game loads the physics on the pad?

What could be wrong?

Thanks!

I have it working in 1.3.1, however I have no lights. I also scaled it down to 75% of it's original scale so it would fit better with BDB's Atlas (Muo) V. As far as the decoupling issue, I've had this problem before, but I can't remember how I fixed it. Maybe something with Animated Decouplers?

• 1 month later...

OK now the mod doesn't seem to work at all in v1.4

The capsule either immediately tries to launch from 1k AGL and falls to Kerbin if I decouple the staging of the CSM...

If I don't remove the CSM from the staging tree it pops the capsule off on the pad!

20 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

OK now the mod doesn't seem to work at all in v1.4

The capsule either immediately tries to launch from 1k AGL and falls to Kerbin if I decouple the staging of the CSM...

If I don't remove the CSM from the staging tree it pops the capsule off on the pad!

Best CST-100 ever, let me see what can I do.

Edit:

Worked perfect, what do you mean by staging the CSM?

Edited by Drakenex

• 2 weeks later...

If the CSM decoupler is left in the staging tree it immediately pops the capsule off on the lanch pad when the physics loads...

If I remove the decoupler from the staging tree and launch it immediately sends my entire rocket up to 1000 AGL above the Launchpad when the physics loads.

• 2 months later...

Well, is not much,  but it's guaranteed to work on 1.4.4, the original model have some texture warp issues so sorry if it's not a total revamp but without the source files that's all I can do

Fixes:

• The Nose cone was never really fixed, so you need Contares CST (just the nose cone) which is modified trough an MM patch to fit this capsule (sorry about color mismatch but no normal on Contares part)
  • Some textures were "revamped", again, don't expect miracles.
  • Parachute texture had a wrong name, now it loads and displays correctly
  • RCS effects fixed
  • Engines effects fixed
  • Some decoupling issues fixed
  • Re-scaled to 3.125

Tested to orbit using BDB's Atlas V

Includes craft file (no air bags)

Get it here

Credits:

All models and textures made by @xxhansonmaxx

Nosecone by hraban

Solar Panel textures by Cobaltwolf

Edited by Drakenex

3 hours ago, Drakenex said:

Well, is not much,  but it's guaranteed to work on 1.4.4, the original model have some texture warp issues so sorry if it's not a total revamp but without the source files that's all I can do

Fixes:

• The Nose cone was never really fixed, so you need Contares CST (just the nose cone) which is modified trough an MM patch to fit this capsule (sorry about color mismatch but no normal on Contares part)
  • Some textures were "revamped", again, don't expect miracles.
  • Parachute texture had a wrong name, now it loads and displays correctly
  • RCS effects fixed
  • Engines effects fixed
  • Some decoupling issues fixed
  • Re-scaled to 3.125

Tested to orbit using BDB's Atlas V

Includes craft file (no air bags)

Get it here

Credits:

All models and textures made by @xxhansonmaxx

Nosecone by hraban

Solar Panel textures by Cobaltwolf

I checked the work at 1.4.3. There is a note on the engines: if you mount them on the nod, they are obtained at a distance from the service compartment. We have to move them inside. You can't fix this somehow?  Or do you need to install something else between the service compartment and the engines? Also for stock game engines are too powerful, in orbit the ship begins to spin around the axis, gyrodine is not able to parry. Therefore, it is difficult to do maneuvers, you have to manually reduce the engine power to 20% to get a more or less stable flight.

PS. The rocket is assembled from stock parts, flying normally. Until I checked the descent from orbit. Instead of the nose cone, put the docking Assembly with a shield from the drain set. It seems perfectly acceptable. And I so understand in such option there is no opportunity to use LES. How in such a situation plan to do a real Boeing?

Edited by Sokol_323

Checked the landing. Everything's normal. Launched another CST-100, which added additional gyrodine. Has become more resistant and respond better to change the thrust of the engines. Now not prowling the course. I do not want to put another mod Contares , so I will use as a nose cone drain docking Assembly with a shield.

17 hours ago, Sokol_323 said:

I checked the work at 1.4.3. There is a note on the engines: if you mount them on the nod, they are obtained at a distance from the service compartment. We have to move them inside. You can't fix this somehow?  Or do you need to install something else between the service compartment and the engines? Also for stock game engines are too powerful, in orbit the ship begins to spin around the axis, gyrodine is not able to parry. Therefore, it is difficult to do maneuvers, you have to manually reduce the engine power to 20% to get a more or less stable flight.

PS. The rocket is assembled from stock parts, flying normally. Until I checked the descent from orbit. Instead of the nose cone, put the docking Assembly with a shield from the drain set. It seems perfectly acceptable. And I so understand in such option there is no opportunity to use LES. How in such a situation plan to do a real Boeing?

well, it was always a pain to snap the engines into place, but there's a node a bit up from the one you're using.

And about the engines, what can I say, there's a misconception about their role. Those 4 RS-88 constitutes the LES itself, they are not for orbit maneuvers (OMS) or de-orbiting. So that's why they feel so overpowered when used in orbit. Let me see if giving more power to the RCS engines, they can be used for OMS and still reliable for docking.

14 hours ago, Sokol_323 said:

Checked the landing. Everything's normal. Launched another CST-100, which added additional gyrodine. Has become more resistant and respond better to change the thrust of the engines. Now not prowling the course. I do not want to put another mod Contares , so I will use as a nose cone drain docking Assembly with a shield.

Nice choice for the nosecone!! You cab install Contares and just leave the nosecone.

14 hours ago, Sokol_323 said:

Thanks for the answer. I read on the Internet about the CST-100 and I realized that these engines really are LES. Then how to use RCS engines as the main thrust? They do not appear in the MJ in the deltaV section.

Tried giving them more power but no luck. The solution, I if I had the source file, will be to add a trust transform and use it as OMS, but I don't have them. But I never give up!! So I've made this:

Just clip the LV-1R "Spider" Liquid Fuel Engine x this way

SZacj6C.png

3tlULO6.png

and voila! you get setup very close to the real thing and all that fuel is not dead weight anymore!

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Drakenex you should use a better end cap for the crew tunnel than just a Boeing logo. Something like the one from one of the stock spaceplane parts, or the one from the BDB Apollo. :)

Please don't hurt my feelings!! I can do one, the problem is, because of some UV map issues and the resolution everything pixelates a lot, but i looks better than the logo, right as usual Mr Wolfie

ULS7rqg.png

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CocoaGames said:

Hey im having an issue with spawning the craft. The capsule decouples from the service module as soon as it spawns. Im using 1.4.5. Can anybody help?

Been happening to me as well...

Looks like a comparability issue that's been happening since KSP upgraded from 1.2.

Shame, such a great mod! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.