A thought on planets.

If anyone has seen the upcoming game no mans skys, and looked into it, they would know that it has dynamic planets generated based on algerithms. Meaning a different planet where ever you go depending on distance from sun, whats in the atmosphere, and several other factors. This judjes what the animal and plant life is. They also contain things like caves and ore. Now. Imagen this kind of infinite planet generation in ksp. A different play through each time, and an infinite galexy to explore with billions of stars. Just a thought, not advertisement, or a suggestion.

I'd rather they just have a set of solar systems added, so that we have shared experiences. Procedural generation would be kind of sucky for learning from eachother and sharing.

Also, this game doesn't need even more performance issues.

I think the KSP we have works better with a fixed solar system. Remember it's not an easy game for a novice, and having Kerbin always the same size, the Mun always in the same place, Duna always having the same atmosphere, and so on makes it practical to learn from other players.

Maybe something for a KSP2, where Squad could explore a different direction. Then again procedural generation is rather common now, and a small number of quality hand-crafted planets and moons - much better than the ones we have now - could well make for a better game.

I`d like the option for generating a whole new solar system that would need to be explored with sensors and mapping probes to find out things like exact orbits, gravity, atmosphere etc

It would add much more life to the game for players who are not new.

As it is I know that it takes exactly 872Dv to get a FRT to Mun and that will never ever change.

The main problem with that idea is that it would be nigh on impossible for newbies to learn because there is no one to give tips to them. Even experienced players couldn't do interplanetary missions without the help of online tools for transfer windows, so this will make the learning curve a learning wall for newer players and experienced players would effectively have to do calculations themselves as well as record it themselves, not to mention coming up with their own porkchop plot if there's procedural inclination.

The argument against it for the benefit of new players is easily shut down by making it a non default option...... you could even put a warning ingame to say it will lead to much more difficulty than the standard solar system

JohnFX makes a very good point about it improving replayability and allowing for more meaningful interactions in an uncharted solar system.

Getting around will of course be considerably more difficult without the online transfer tools, but the manoeuvre nodes we have give us dV requirements in advance, and can probably be used to come up with reasonable approximations for the optimal phase angles over time, assuming you don't want to do the maths.

It would also be made far more manageable if the distance from target indicators reliably appeared.

I am sure that someone will create a general planetary phase calculator that people can plug the orbital parameters in to calculate for them.

That being said it has been discussed a lot and I doubt we'll see it happen ;.;

Edited by ghpstage

The argument against it for the benefit of new players is easily shut down by making it a non default option...... you could even put a warning ingame to say it will lead to much more difficulty than the standard solar system

[...]

Exactly. It will extend the learning curve, not make it steeper.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.