I think that Kerbals are subterranean dwellers

SmarterThanMe

The Dyson Sphere must be really thick to survive these impacts.

That thickness would explain why it took kerbals so long to get through the sphere, only doing it when they had a technology level comparable to ours.

But maybe there really isn't a neutron star inside the sphere, perhaps it's some probably alien-made contraption, like the sphere? A timed light and heat source could simulate day and night.

My theory is that they use cloaking devices to hide their houses from Kerbals that might "accidentally" crash into them. On occasion, you do crash into them (the bug where you randomly crash into something when flying around)

That's too sci-fi.

Anyways, I think that we're about to expose the Kerbal secrets.

The dyson sphere just makes so much sense. It, it explains everything!

No, no no no. They're from way far out. They came to Kerbin by some portal tech (didn't land, since they haven't been to space or anything).

The KSC is the only structure in the planet because it's where the portal is hidden. They haven't even explored that planet, yet.

You never get to see the other side, but the portal is there - it's where newly hired and fired kerbals go through.

They use the same capsules they fly to space into to cross the portal, because Hyperpace Is A Scary Place. That's why there are stranded Kerbals - teleport mishap left them there. On nearly perfectly circular orbits, because... I need some help here.

No, no no no. They're from way far out. They came to Kerbin by some portal tech (didn't land, since they haven't been to space or anything).

The KSC is the only structure in the planet because it's where the portal is hidden. They haven't even explored that planet, yet.

You never get to see the other side, but the portal is there - it's where newly hired and fired kerbals go through.

They use the same capsules they fly to space into to cross the portal, because Hyperpace Is A Scary Place. That's why there are stranded Kerbals - teleport mishap left them there. On nearly perfectly circular orbits, because... I need some help here.

That's also completely unrealistic.

KSC is kerbals' second attempt at building outside the sphere.

The first attempt was the island airport, but for some reason it got destroyed.

Then, they attempted building what we know as a Space Center. The original building was the Astronaut Complex, where a tunnel used by kerbals for moving to the inside or outside of the Dyson Sphere is present. The "KSC" then kept on expanding, and it's there now.

• 8 years later...
On 8/21/2015 at 1:00 PM, SmarterThanMe said:

Maybe someone has figured this out before, but I just had an epiphany (and I'm waiting for KSP to load).

Let's consider the facts:

(1) No cities on the surface of Kerbin. In fact no kerbal-made structures on the surface of Kerbal, besides KSC and a couple of others.

(2) "The Mun's discovery is widely regarded as one of the more important breakthroughs of Kerbal evolution. Granted it didn’t happen all that long ago, but its still fair to say that Kerbals are wiser and more evolved now than they were back then." Why wasn't the Mun discovered earlier? Because they weren't spending a lot of time outside to look at the thing (like we have through our life).

(3) I had a point 3, but I forgot it, and KSP has loaded.

Thoughts?

Kerbals are subterranean, like moles. That's why you don't see cities. They only recently came to the surface to start a space program. That's when the game starts. Being out of the ground is unnatural to them, which is why they are so clumsy. But they feel quite at home in a pod in space, it's dark and cramped like in a tunnel under the earth. And they don't mind being up there. In fact, it's nicer than being on land. That's what draws them into space.

They have not conquered their entire planet like humans, but are a local species, like many animals on earth. Hence there are no kerbals in other places on Kerbin, except a few recent launch sites. They evolved and only live in that spot around KSC. That's why you get science points for exploring Kerbin. They don't had not explored it yet.

Edited by Kerbal2023

My theory is that Kerbin is actually a colony. Kerbin is Kerbal for 'New Kerb'.

So, yeah, they could be subterranean? But subterranean in this case actually means the basement of the Kerbal Space Center. They all live in there. Uhm. In suspended animation? And when you hire new astronauts, you're actually waking them up out of cold sleep. When they first entered the Kerbol star system, they naturally headed straight for most habitable planet and haven't had time to explore the rest of the system until now. They had to cannibalize the ships they came in to build the KSC and are having to tool up and build a new industry which is why we have to research new tech. It's not really new, they're just working out how to build the industrial infrastructure to manufacture stuff.

So, yeah.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.