Come hear about KSP 1.1, straight from Squad!

Streetwind

Has there been any mention of what's happening with rover wheels? They've said they'll now work awesomely, but will they look awesome too? Most of all I'm hoping for some way to make motorbikes, and some size between "very small and slow" and "very big and a bit faster" and also something that makes those massive wheels less useless.

Has there been any mention of what's happening with rover wheels? They've said they'll now work awesomely, but will they look awesome too? Most of all I'm hoping for some way to make motorbikes, and some size between "very small and slow" and "very big and a bit faster" and also something that makes those massive wheels less useless.

Everything they have talked about is behind the scenes stuff. Rover wheels kind of suck in the current game, they have no proper concept of traction and their animations don't match their actions. I'm not certain what all will be improved, but I don't think they have said anything about textures.

I remember when this game was about rockets...

It is man! People like planes because they are very accessible, easy to test and easy to get the hang of. Rockets on the other hand are hard to fly, require a lot of tricky testing and huge amounts of time and effort to make. So we are bound to see more planes than rockets. Once the newbies get the hang of spaceflight we will see more of them. I agree, there are too few complex interplanetary designs for the reasons I stated above.

A 6 or 7 crew member 3.75m command pod would be excellent.

Some other things I would like to see: Some sort of flyby finder in stock to help with planetary transfers. A few different sized habitation rings, or at least a spindle we could build them on. New planets. New Solar panels (Think NF Solar). More rocket engines. More .625m fuel tanks and probe parts.

A 6 or 7 crew member 3.75m command pod would be excellent.

Some other things I would like to see: Some sort of flyby finder in stock to help with planetary transfers. A few different sized habitation rings, or at least a spindle we could build them on. New planets. New Solar panels (Think NF Solar). More rocket engines. More .625m fuel tanks and probe parts.

2.5 Dragon V2 for 7(CST-100 would be awesome too), 1.5 m with 1.875 m adapter Gemini. 12 Crew 3.75 m crew capsule

Guys if you didn't look closely at the 1.1 update article thingy there was a imgur album http://imgur.com/a/NkzMp with all the new parts.

Cool. Like 9 parts, 1 of which is for rockets (except designed with a plane in mind). Yippee.

Meanwhile, the rocket fuel tanks look like they came from a junkyard and indeed most rocket parts look terrible.

Cool. Like 9 parts, 1 of which is for rockets (except designed with a plane in mind). Yippee.

Meanwhile, the rocket fuel tanks look like they came from a junkyard and indeed most rocket parts look terrible.

Thats what Vens Part Revamp is for. I figured at this point VPR was standard for everyone by now.

Thats what Vens Part Revamp is for. I figured at this point VPR was standard for everyone by now.

It should BE stock (minus the hatch placement on the mk1-2 pod, I think offset is better from an RCS standpoint, though 45 degree RCS parts make this less critical)>

It is man! People like planes because they are very accessible, easy to test and easy to get the hang of. Rockets on the other hand are hard to fly, require a lot of tricky testing and huge amounts of time and effort to make. So we are bound to see more planes than rockets. Once the newbies get the hang of spaceflight we will see more of them. I agree, there are too few complex interplanetary designs for the reasons I stated above.

erm no... You can reach space relatively easy with rockets... 2-3 rocekt engines straped to some tanks, a few fins, and some seperators... 3,2,1.. Liftoff and a few minutes later you are in space, space planes are the harder things...

It's the opposite. Rockets are primitive and spaceplanes, especially cargo ones, are very complex.

I would love a 2 mans and 7 man command pod.

THIS, we need pods that fit a sensible number of crew for long duration missions.

- - - Updated - - -

erm no... You can reach space relatively easy with rockets... 2-3 rocekt engines straped to some tanks, a few fins, and some seperators... 3,2,1.. Liftoff and a few minutes later you are in space, space planes are the harder things...

Incorrect. I think you misunderstood me. Yes shooting a rocket into the air is easy as pie. Planning, designing and executing an interplanetary mission is much much harder than making a plane. Yes it is tricky, like most things in the game but it's just easier that's why more people do it.

Cheers.

Edited by Majorjim

Looking at that album, it's very nice to see some much-needed work in the area of jets, and the new SSME-style rocket looks good too. I do have a couple of concerns, though:

First of all, although having the big 2.5-meter jet stackable is cool, it's pretty much useless if we can't get rid of the pylon (a simple button in the right-click menu to toggle it would do) and if we don't have a 2.5-meter intake to go with it. I'm also worried that there seems to be no supersonic version, so this won't help much with trying to build Mark 3 spaceplanes without resorting to zillion-Rapier clusters.

Second, I severely hope that new Mk 1 cockpit is in addition to the old one, not replacing it, although it sounds like it is a replacement. Honestly, I like the old one much better, the jet-fighter styling fits the KSP style much better than the business-jet version which looks weirdly out of place. It could definitely do with a texture/model overhaul to get its styling more consistent with the inline version (similar to the overhaul of the Mark 3 cockpit a few versions ago) but I don't like the complete redesign. Personally I'll probably mod the old one back in. (I love the Mk 1 cabin though, should be very useful for tourist flights.)

Last, as cool as the smaller and same-size parts are, I still think what we need is bigger parts. The 2-meter subsonic jet is a start, but I'd really like to see more 2.5- or 3.75-meter jets, Rapiers, solids, and nukes especially. Maybe even think about adding 5-meter rocket parts. Main reason being it's nearly impossible right now to build large vehicles (rockets or space planes) without the part count going through the roof and associated performance hits.

Still, the new parts look fantastic and I am very much looking forward to them, as well as Unity 5, hopefully supported/stable Windows x64, and all the other improvements it sounds like we're getting in 1.1.

Incorrect. I think you misunderstood me. Yes shooting a rocket into the air is easy as pie. Planning, designing and executing an interplanetary mission is much much harder than making a plane. Yes it is tricky, like most things in the game but it's just easier that's why more people do it.

Those things have nothing to do with each other though. We are saying that:

Making an orbit worthy plane > Making an orbit worthy rocket.

I assume that you replied:

Making an orbit worthy plane < Making an interplanetary rocket.

While that is true, the fact is that:

Making an interplanetary plane > Making an interplanetary rocket.

Spaceplanes are more difficult and complex than rockets while trying to achieve identical/similar tasks.

Edit:

In real life I agree 100%. Sadly I didn't even mention SSTOs. I said planes.

Ah, OK. I didn't understand you. I still don't think it's true as you can orbit with afaik 3 part rocket SSTO but this is debatable.

Edited by theend3r

Those things have nothing to do with each other though. We are saying that:

Making an orbit worthy plane > Making an orbit worthy rocket.

I assume that you replied:

Making an orbit worthy plane < Making an interplanetary rocket.

While that is true, the fact is that:

Making an interplanetary plane > Making an interplanetary rocket.

Spaceplanes are more difficult and complex than rockets while trying to achieve identical/similar tasks.

Edit:

Ah, OK. I didn't understand you. I still don't think it's true as you can orbit with afaik 3 part rocket SSTO but this is debatable.

Ok I see, the perils of text. This is the reason I really dislike text, its so open to interpretation, it's un-human. Better we don't argue. I see your point, you see mine.

Cheers.

I'm glad that there was mention that the old Mk-1 cockpit is not being replaced (And hoping from the wording that it's being updated.) And I love the new jet parts. But I also have to agree with what others have said. It would be nice to get an overhaul of existing rocket parts to fit a more uniformed style, as well as expansion in some needed areas.

One area I don't see a lot of people asking for, but I think is essential is an expansion of Space station and base parts. I would like something that looks more station and less rocket ship for building out those areas of the game. I do hope that they are in the works for later versions.

Last, as cool as the smaller and same-size parts are, I still think what we need is bigger parts. The 2-meter subsonic jet is a start, but I'd really like to see more 2.5- or 3.75-meter jets, Rapiers, solids, and nukes especially. Maybe even think about adding 5-meter rocket parts. Main reason being it's nearly impossible right now to build large vehicles (rockets or space planes) without the part count going through the roof and associated performance hits.

I disagree, actually. In my mind, the smaller parts were more needed than the larger parts, simply because you can at least lump smaller parts together to create something larger, as impractical as it is. As it currently stands, making tiny planes is effectively impossible without mods, with the smallest jet engine being really heavy and powerful for a 0.625m craft. That said, the addition of larger parts is most definitely welcome. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.