Squadcast Summary 2015/08/21 - Short Show, Long Summary

Superfluous J

Lots of goodies on this one, and 0 gameplay. Lets get to it.

10 minutes I drop a time stamp, so if you can find a spot in the video more easily. Something in "quotes" means it was directly said, though I frequently don't bother with that. [brackets] are those rare times where the accent barrier keeps me from understanding something, and italics are descriptions of what Max is doing in the game, with asides and commentary by me where I feel the desire.

This episode was only 26:25 long.

0:00

They're going to keep them shorter.

After the show, they're going to put anything they show here "in the usual channels"

They had a meeting over the week.

They are 99.999999 percent done with Unity 5.

Game has been ported to U5.

Now that this is done, only a couple tweaks/UI changes left.

They need to analyze it, "can we share with the world"

Is it worth its own update?

Yes.

It's big enough to be 1.1, all on its own.

But they can also throw in a bunch of extra content.

So U5 + parts!

Q&A is starting for Unity.

U5 means:

New PhysX. Now you can only use 1 core for your vessel. New PhysX can split your ship over multiple cores.

"You can expect the game to run way better."

Great for "Whackjob kind of ships"

Still no numbers yet.

They want to show in video exactly how good it is.

This can make the game run on consoles. Which is why things are being ported now.

U5 also means moving to a new client to build the game on. 64 bit native. So they can load everything for the game without crashing the editor. So, default compiling is 64 bit. So from now on they'll be creating 64 bit native executables.

"Blowing the doors wide open for the modding community."

Max gives up on the pretense that he's going to play at all today.

KSP will only break when you hit your personal RAM limit.

10:00

Trials at the office this week, 9GB of ram, the game was "purring like a kitten."

The next release is 1.1.

64 for everyone. Windows AND OSX.

They have scrapped 90% of the UI in KSP.

Currently 3 systems. They scrapped that.

The new U5 system is so much better.

They look exactly the same (or almost) but work better.

NathanKell has joined, like RoverDude Arsonide and Porkjet have.

He is optimizing KSP code, catching old bugs that bug modders, and is also working on framework for localization.

tl;dr: More efficient UI. More efficient processor usage. 64 bit native.

That's enough to be 1.1, but they've also been letting the modder collaborators "run amok"

Article in forums about RoverDude's antenna diversity. That will be in 1.1. Not only do they have different uses, but they will become VITAL. Assuming you turn on those difficulty settings.

Arsonide: Contextual Contracts. Contracts based on things you have built. Add a lab to the space station. That satellite at Laythe, put it into a NEW orbit. Not adding breadth. Adding depth.

PorkJet: Instead of telling, he shows.

We've seen the images already, so I won't bother with a link. Also, I'm lazy.

I love the new Mk1 capsule.

I love the new cargo bay.

20:00

(Talking about the clouds in screenshots)

"By the way these are taken on PorkJet's install where he has mods and all that. We are not doing clouds... yet. I am underlining that yet"

U5 allows far more memory use.

It's not for 1.1.

But don't count on KSP looking like it does now, in the future.

Max trolls a bit about an update cost. Totally gets the chat with it. FTR it will cost $0.00

No Squadcast next week. KasperVld will be on instead. Max will be at PAX.

Save games should be compatible.

Edited by 5thHorseman

It's a cargo bay that sticks to the back of your plane, and opens backward into a ramp. So you can land, open the door, and drive a rover out.

Oh, the ramp. You got my hopes up :(

(The ramp is cool too, but it's not a bay)

Oh, those sweet, sweet words:

I will say, I was going to add, "or you hit any of the numerous game-crashing bugs" :D

The 2 big "news" items for me in this were:

1) OSX is getting 64 bit. I don't use it so wasn't following, but I seem to recall a lot of speculation (and therefore complaining) that it would not get 64 bit.

2) A single ship will span multiple cores. I don't recall anybody saying this before this Squadcast. Everything I saw, people were saying that you can use multiple cores but only if you had multiple ships. Each ship could get its own core, in other words. This is not the case, and it excites me greatly.

Edited by 5thHorseman

2) A single ship will span multiple cores. I don't recall anybody saying this before this Squadcast. Everything I saw, people were saying that you can use multiple cores but only if you had multiple ships. Each ship could get its own core, in other words. This is not the case, and it excites me greatly.

I have an older 6-core AMD machine... which is about the worst possible CPU choice for KSP. So that news (which I'm still taking with a grain of salt) is also very exciting.

A single ship will span multiple cores. I don't recall anybody saying this before this Squadcast. Everything I saw, people were saying that you can use multiple cores but only if you had multiple ships. Each ship could get its own core, in other words. This is not the case, and it excites me greatly.

This is the best peice of news of all, IMO. The rest is just icing.

Do we have no idea of a release date then? I'm guessing 1-2 months.

This is the best peice of news of all, IMO. The rest is just icing.

Do we have no idea of a release date then? I'm guessing 1-2 months.

He said it's going into Q&A is starting for Unity, so 1-2 months is probably a pretty accurate guesstimate, 3-4 weeks for Q&A and another 2-3 for Experimentals before release.

64 bit on all platforms!

Ships on all cores! (if needed)

New parts! (Are we ever getting the new small gear? the old ones look so ugly compared to the beautiful new ones)

New Contracts!

New antennae system!

Optimization! Old bug fixes!

Update soonâ„¢!

Prettier KSP in the future!

By far the best Squadcast/news I have ever read. This is going to make KSP run on a much wider span of machines. (also, the fact that my core is locked to hyperthreading will no longer kill my performance!) I'm so excited! :D

He said it's going into Q&A is starting for Unity, so 1-2 months is probably a pretty accurate guesstimate, 3-4 weeks for Q&A and another 2-3 for Experimentals before release.

Hah, they say it's pretty close, I bet it will take 2-3 weeks maximum.

Hopefully D:

New parts! (Are we ever getting the new small gear? the old ones look so ugly compared to the beautiful new ones)

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in a previous thread that Porkjet was working on a remodel of that part. Don't quote me on it though, I am a very sleepy forum goer :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.