Iranian Simorgh Megathread-First Launch

xenomorph555

I'm surprised nobody has wondered about the phoenix logo on the 2nd stage. Did the hire the same graphical designer as SpaceX did for the Dragon logo? :P

Simorgh---_28629.jpg

SpaceXDragon.jpg

I am so amused by that.

So what's the technical nitty-gritty on this rocket? The wikipedia page has preciously little, aside from sourcelessly guesstimating a payload capacity of 100 to 150 kg to LEO. Are there any updated figures on the actual vehicle that was presented now? What fuels do its two stages use? What are the specs on the engines? I'm frankly not expecting that much of that would actually be released, but who knows...

And while we're on the topic of Iranian rockets, have they announced anything yet about the launcher that's planned to carry the manned capsule they presented a mockup of earlier this year? From the looks of things the Simorgh is still too small for that. I mean, maybe suborbital, but even then I don't think the upper stage diameter fits.

So what's the technical nitty-gritty on this rocket? The wikipedia page has preciously little, aside from sourcelessly guesstimating a payload capacity of 100 to 150 kg to LEO. Are there any updated figures on the actual vehicle that was presented now? What fuels do its two stages use? What are the specs on the engines? I'm frankly not expecting that much of that would actually be released, but who knows...

Payload is about 100kg to a 500km orbit, given announced payloads they want to put on it. Best you're likely to get beyond that are the analyses by Norbert Brügge, here and here.

And while we're on the topic of Iranian rockets, have they announced anything yet about the launcher that's planned to carry the manned capsule they presented a mockup of earlier this year? From the looks of things the Simorgh is still too small for that. I mean, maybe suborbital, but even then I don't think the upper stage diameter fits.

That's probably the rocket immediately after Simorgh, but all we know about it is it's called Sepehr and seems to be a good bit bigger than Simorgh.

I'm surprised nobody has wondered about the phoenix logo on the 2nd stage. Did the hire the same graphical designer as SpaceX did for the Dragon logo? :P

http://gallery.military.ir/albums/userpics/10299/Simorgh---_28629.jpg

http://seradata.com/SSI/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/SpaceXDragon.jpg

I am so amused by that.

Hey, nice find.

As Kryten has mentioned the basic config of the rocket can take 100-150kg, however they have also designed a solid 3rd/4th stage that can boost it to 200-300kg.

As for the capsule, the orbital version is still on the drawing board. However they announced the suborbital version will be flown on a Safir 1st stage.

05.jpg

Some political posts, and posts that'd make no sense with the political posts removed, were removed.

Please try to keep discussion to the rocket :)

Arigato

Edited by xenomorph555

Sure! Do you know anything about this that hasn't been posted yet? :)

Seems in the future , we are going to see some increasing in 2nd stages diameter & maybe 4 strap on boosters !

+ they are talking about multi payload capability !!!

Looks like they have either a nice rocket to put satellites in orbit, or a nice and new ICBM. I wonder how much overlap their civilian space program has with their military missile program.

Regardless, with the new deal we have with them the development of nuclear weapons are off the table for them so the probability of re-use as a weapons system is probably low. Regardless of that musing regarding ICBMs, I wish them luck with their civilian endeavors, let's just hope they do not decide to act like the DPRK with their newfound capability.

Edited by NuclearNut

Looks like they have either a nice rocket to put satellites in orbit, or a nice and new ICBM. I wonder how much overlap their civilian space program has with their military missile program.

Regardless, with the new deal we have with them the development of nuclear weapons are off the table for them so the probability of re-use as a weapons system is probably low. Regardless of that musing regarding ICBMs, I wish them luck with their civilian endeavors, let's just hope they do not decide to act like the DPRK with their newfound capability.

They have had perfectly fine ICBMs for ages; the Simorgh doesn't do anything for carrying warheads that their existing rockets cannot already do. This is a design with no military applications - maybe apart from placing spy satellites in orbit, like every other developed nation is already doing, though it'll require the upgrades that SOHEIL was talking about to get enough payload capacity for that.

They have had perfectly fine ICBMs for ages; the Simorgh doesn't do anything for carrying warheads that their existing rockets cannot already do. This is a design with no military applications - maybe apart from placing spy satellites in orbit, like every other developed nation is already doing, though it'll require the upgrades that SOHEIL was talking about to get enough payload capacity for that.

That is good, thanks for reducing my latent paranoia. However I have a question, are they planning to use an ICBM body as a first stage, or is this a replacement to the one that used an ICBM body as a first stage.

Seems in the future , we are going to see some increasing in 2nd stages diameter & maybe 4 strap on boosters !

+ they are talking about multi payload capability !!!

I wonder what type of boosters would be used,

-Would they be like a Long March type with smaller liquid boosters.

-A Soyuz type with core stage sized liquid boosters.

-Or an Atlas type with solid boosters.

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone, long time no see. I've absent due to work for how long again, 4 months.... errrr. Anyway back to the main topic.

There is a possibility that the Simorgh will have its first flight within the next two weeks. So far the entire rocket has been tested last year meaning that they are waiting for the right time to launch it. Considering that the 2nd of February holds special value to the Iranians (national space day) and the fact that they like to launch things on that day it can be assumed it will be launched then.

As well as this I have been told that they are indeed going to do this launch however there is considerable fear that it may generate large backlash. As well as this it is only a test, there will not be a functional satellite instead being a dummy.  

So we will see what occurs, whether it succeeds, fails or outright doesn't happen (If so I will eat my shoe). I wish the Iranians luck.

32 minutes ago, Kryten said:

Last update was that Simorgh would become operational 'in the next year' in October; the next Iranian year hasn't even started yet. If we do see a launch soon, it'll be Safir or the Sejil-based vehicle.

Yes, this was my original opinion too. It's likely that the person I talked was a bit "over-excited" about the possibility of a Simorgh launch. 

3 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Hopefully they'll have better launch coverage than last time - which was some 360p nonchronologically jumbled-together imagery overlaid with a man speaking at high speed in arabic without taking a breath even once through several minutes :P

LOL, unfortunately though it's likely that the coverage will be the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Well no launch happened, however a member of ISA was on TV and discussed the actual plans they have going forward (not just some internet guy this time). The current plan is to launch a test flight of Simorgh in two months followed by the launch of the Tolou satellite in the autumn period (august-september) if successful. As well as that after the test flight the phase 1 of the Imam Khomeini launch centre will be complete, this includes the construction and operation of the facilities there currently, and they will move onto phase 2 which includes the construction of a new launch complex for polar orbiting satellites.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.