KSP Crash to desktop when clicking mouse

This is a very peculiar issue that I'm not sure what to do about. I got a "new" computer to me, well my old one went the way of failed kerbal launches (Kablooey!) and doesn't work so I bought some parts and built a new one and re-installing windows and trying to play KSP again.

So this is: 1.) clean windows install, windows 7 x64, 2.) clean steam install, 3.) clean KSP download/install. No mods, nothing changed what so ever.

Brief system overview:

Intel Core i3-2130, 8 GB ram, GTX-770, pair of samsung 850 pro SSD's in raid-0.

Problem: KSP Starts, loads through the loading screen and sits there at the main menu where it asks if I want to send anonymous usage data. The problem is.... I can leave it right there, and it will run for a good 15 minutes, no problem. The instant I left-click on something in KSP, it crashes to desktop.

Logs:

http://www.outfoxed.net/ksp/output_log.txt

http://www.outfoxed.net/ksp/error.log

And all drivers in the system are current, I just finished installing everything yesterday and now today so all drivers are current from nvidia and intel and everyone for all devices in the system.

Any input? I would like to play this today hopefully.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with the system, I've been playing GTA-5 for hours without issue on the same computer.

EDIT #2: I've verified game integrity (Through steam) and every time I run verification check, it always says "2 files failed and will be downloaded", then it downloads them then goes. I've tried deleting the entire KSP folder, both through steam, and deleting it off disk from the steamapps -> common folder, re-downloading it twice now, and it does this every time. It's not ram, windows task manager is only showing 2.47 GB used in the system total, even when KSP is running.

Edited by kithylin

The logs aren't giving many clues, just that KSP was able to write that it had crashed and a stack trace which I just can't read anyway, it does say it had no memory though.

Error occurred at 2015-08-22_165824.
C:\Games\Steam-Temp-Install\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by Administrator.
34% memory in use.
0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
0 MB user address space [2523 MB free].
Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Have you tried the KSP.exe directly? Also are you using encryption on your drives? The log says cryptbase.dll is loaded.

Raid 0 may be overkill for SSD's, if you have a memory stick spare you could try copying KSP to it and see if that copy runs.

Sorry but I can't think of anything else yet, KSP shouldn't be crashing like that.

The logs aren't giving many clues, just that KSP was able to write that it had crashed and a stack trace which I just can't read anyway, it does say it had no memory though.

Error occurred at 2015-08-22_165824.
C:\Games\Steam-Temp-Install\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by Administrator.
34% memory in use.
0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
0 MB user address space [2523 MB free].
Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Have you tried the KSP.exe directly? Also are you using encryption on your drives? The log says cryptbase.dll is loaded.

Raid 0 may be overkill for SSD's, if you have a memory stick spare you could try copying KSP to it and see if that copy runs.

Sorry but I can't think of anything else yet, KSP shouldn't be crashing like that.

And it's not that overkill for SSD's, doubles the speed vs a single one, from 550 MB/s single up to 1100 MB/s two. That's kinda beside it anyway... shouldn't effect KSP starting.

Anyway, this is the craziest thing ever. There's no encryption anywhere, no bitlocker, nothing.

Standard windows install, all other games work fine.. just no KSP.

EDIT: OH GOD I FIXED IT!!!! .... no idea how what I did had anything to do with it.

When KSP Was in windowed mode, I just..... clicked the window's title bar and dragged it, and a whole bunch of flashing all over the screen and other windows elsewhere on the computer went all-white and then the outline for the KSP window disappeared as if it was borderless. But.... then I could click on things!

Went in to settings, clicked full screen, and then saved, exited game, and re-started it to check and now I'm back at the VAB and clicking around and seems fine.

EDIT #2: Nope! Right-click something in the VAB and it crashes to desktop again. *SIGH* Left-clicking works now though... rofls.. this is stupid *cries* I wanna play KSP :*(

Edited by kithylin

Yeah, on a standard Windows install with suitable graphics drivers installed it should work fine, not crash when clicking.

Did you try the KSP.exe? That'd rule out the Steam overlay and directory/shortcut issues.

And testing KSP from a memory stick would rule out issues with the raid configuration.

KSP can also have issues if it can't write to its own files, do you have any anti-virus programs installed?

I have heard recently that some firewalls can cause issues, comodo firewall especially.

Yeah, on a standard Windows install with suitable graphics drivers installed it should work fine, not crash when clicking.

Did you try the KSP.exe? That'd rule out the Steam overlay and directory/shortcut issues.

And testing KSP from a memory stick would rule out issues with the raid configuration.

KSP can also have issues if it can't write to its own files, do you have any anti-virus programs installed?

I have heard recently that some firewalls can cause issues, comodo firewall especially.

I'll try the EXE now. And... I'm the weird person out there... I'm running with no anti-virus and no fire-wall installed, not even the microsoft ones, got windows firewall disabled, and windows defender disabled too. So none of that is the issue.

EDIT: Tried the EXE, same clicky problem.. this is crazy :( And no memory stick.. not one fre around here big enough to hold KSP. I might can try to find the cable for my usb hard drive. But booting KSP over USB would take forever. It shouldn't be an SSD problem, I had both of these in raid-0 on my older computer for the past 6 months and KSP worked great there.

Edited by kithylin

If raid 0 worked before then yeah it should work now, I assumed it was a new setup, unless there just happens to be a bad file but the Steam verification should have solved that.

Your edit is making me think this is driver related though, what driver version are you using? And did you remember to reboot after installing it?

The Steam file verification failing repeatedly makes me suspect misconfigured antivirus software or other security features.

As I said in the above post, not using -any- security software, it's all disabled/removed/deleted. Even the microsoft stuff that comes with win7.

If raid 0 worked before then yeah it should work now, I assumed it was a new setup, unless there just happens to be a bad file but the Steam verification should have solved that.

Your edit is making me think this is driver related though, what driver version are you using? And did you remember to reboot after installing it?

Using nvidia drivers 355.60 for the video card off the nvidia website. And yes, several reboots.

I'm still trying other things to try and figure this out.

I don't know what went wrong last time, perhaps it was something to do with me letting windows 7 create a boot partition during install or whatever... I realized it had done that and I was a little upset and went back in setup again and wiped it and re-re-installed windows all over again, this time did it right and rolled the boot section in to the main partition so windows has 'one large partition', makes it easier for backing up and cloning to other devices and stuff.

Anyway, all up and running.. yet again.. and now KSP works flawlessly.

Not sure what I did wrong the first time but it's great now. So.. this is resolved. now to figure out how to mark it as such.

EDIT: Marked solved. Thank you two for your help in trying for me anyway, it was awful nice of you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.