Post something new you learn today!

RainDreamer

My girlfriend made a appointment to, and I kid you not... This is 100% true.

To remove hair via laser.

Apparently people use lasers t make sure that hair doesn't grow back in certain spots. The same stuff that is used by Curiosity to melt rocks. That kids use to annoy pilots. that hunters use for aiming... Can be used for something trivial as removing the hair from your legs.

When she explained it to me I had quite the "What a world we live in" moment.

Well, it wasn't today but it was few days ago so I guess that could count in. I've learned that peanuts are phosphorescent. I knew they're fluorescent as most oily edible things are, but they actually display few seconds of perceptible phosphorescence when excited with blue, violet and ultraviolet-A, possibly even higher frequencies.

The phosphorescent material is inside the protein part of the peanut, not the oil one, and it's one or more aminoacids in the peanut agglutinin.

I just learnt that:

"learnt" appears about once for every three instances of "learned" in the U.K. In the U.S. and Canada, meanwhile, learnt appears only once for approximately every 500 instances of learned, and it’s generally considered colloquial.

Today I learned that Taco Bell is the perfect medium of cheap and quantity in my area when it comes to fast food.

The same $12 can either not fill me up at McDonalds, not give me variety at the local pizza place, or give me a nice pile of varied stuff at Taco Bell.

Today I learned that according to EU regulation (EC) No 1272/2008, AKA "CLP" (Classification, Labelling and Packaging), the method by which all substances have their hazards classified (eg: methane= flammable, cyanide=toxic etc etc.), that Ibuprofen and sewage sludge have the same classification (harmful if swallowed, irritating to skin, eyes and respiratory tract).

[its part of my job, mildly amusing things of this sort come up now and then]

I learn too much stuff everyday. (Medschool).

Most stuff is tedious (did you know that a protein that needs to pass inside a mitochondria must go through complexes TOM, TIM23, TIM44 and mt-Hsp-70(ATPase) in that precise order? Or that once the hypoblast multiplies for the second time, the VV1 becomes VV2 ? ..........fascinating)

But some stuff is amazing : i learnt that there is an individual smooth muscle for each hair of our skin to raise them when we are cold !

I also learnt that the target in a X-ray tube is often in a angled/spinning wheel shape so that energy is shared between different parts of it to prevent it from melting because of auto-absorption. Love this stuff

Edited by Hcube

I just learned (well, last night, but close enough) that boats in Minecraft have been reworked in the dev snapshots for version 1.9. The two biggest problems with them (their fragility and the hit box getting out of sync with your location) appear to have been fixed. Before, boats were an exercise in frustration because you would be out in the middle of a lake and they would break when they "collide" with a lilypad that's 30 blocks away. Now they are useful again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.