New Mercury Simulator coming out soon! - This is why I have so little time for KSP modding now ;)

Mulbin

• 3 weeks later...
I'm thinking about getting a Oculus Rift in a few years after I get a new PC. Any of you guys used it? How is it?

Quite simply it's absolutely unlike any sort of gaming you have ever tried. Forget everything you think you know about playing games. I've tried to explain quite a few times to friends that it's really like being there and they never quite get what I mean until they actually try it out. The usually say something along the lines of "oh... I'm actually there, I thought I'd still be playing a computer game, only bigger and 3d... but I'm actually there."

To get a good estimation of the difference you can do a quick experiment..

1. play a driving game on your monitor.

2. walk outside and get into a real car, look around and think to yourself "Oh look, I'm inside a real car"... this is what it's like with an oculus rift. :)

update?

OK!

Things have been slow for the past month as I've been moving house (and building bathrooms, hiring builders etc, etc) but I'm picking things up again now.

It's mainly been back end stuff but there has been some modelling too, here are a couple of fresh interior screenshots.

csyNji0.jpg

jNll0et.jpg

Interesting, looks like a sequal to A-Ok: Wings of Mercury, a game identical to this one, just much much less pretty. Will be awaiting for more news. Is this going on steam? Also starting costs?

I played a lot of A-OK, fantastic game. I thought it was about time there was a new mercury simulator though, especially now that affordable VR is available.

Oh wow, I can't wait to play this with my rift!

You'll be able to... Soon

I played a lot of A-OK, fantastic game. I thought it was about time there was a new mercury simulator though, especially now that affordable VR is available.

You'll be able to... Soon

Will it work with other VR headsets? Say the SteamVR?

I played a lot of A-OK, fantastic game. I thought it was about time there was a new mercury simulator though

A-OK is a great game. But what of costs? Steam?

Also, I've got an idea, I'd like to see this (eventually) expand to a form of multiplayer. I'd like to see the first form of multiplayer as a pilot flying the craft and a series of ground controllers and in time expand to- a GEMINI style mission replicator, since Gemini is as close as you can get to a 2 player co-op in space. Apollo is too open and too complex for the same style, but Gemini is just as closed and tight as Mercury. (Granted, it would be awesome to play a game like that, but one game at a time!!!)

Will it work with other VR headsets? Say the SteamVR?

Hard to say until they release the HTC Vive... but I would imagine it simply be a case of swapping out the oculus camera plugin for the HTC's plugin. Pretty much all of the other stuff is handled by Unity itself so not much would need altering. I certainly hope so as I'm leaning towards buyinh an HTC rather than Oculus when the retail versions release.

A-OK is a great game. But what of costs? Steam?

I will possibly look at crowd funding or early access or a combination of both. The more it develops the more I think I'd like to get it funded enough to put some full time work into it.

Another mini update - testing out re-entry effects and a newly remodeled porthole!

PDOcTqB.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 13.9.2015 at 7:15 PM, Mulbin said:

It's a myth that the mercury spacecraft was designed to be flown by chimps. In the test flights a chimp was sealed in a small pressure chamber inside the cockpit but had no access to any controls or switches. The manned capsules were launched and reentered on autopilot, just like all spacecraft ever built (except the shuttle for landing), during flight the astronaut had a joystick and roughly 60 switches and dials to operate the spacecraft.

The film "the right stuff" has a lot to answer for spreading nonsense about mercury :)

Make sense, however it was right in that the launch and deorbit was done on autopilot / remote control and the buttons was mostly an fallback.Guess the pilot rotated the pod around for better view but not much else.
This upset the test pilots as they was used to most being manual at that time, naturally Hollywood had to create more drama. 

10 minutes ago, magnemoe said:
6 hours ago, kookoo_gr said:

WOW i have no words for this game and the demo you show, can't wait to see a release version. Do you have any specs for the pc?

Not yet.. although it should be in line with Oculus recommended specs.

4 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Awesome! Also, did I hear glass shattering as the rocket launched? It sounded like I did.

There are all sorts of layered sounds, possibly the effect that is supposed to simulate the Ice cascade from the sides of the rocket.

18 minutes ago, Ten Key said:

Just finished watching the preview video. That is gorgeous Mulbin. :)

Out of curiosity, what are you using to model the attitude control? The roll/pitch/yaw handling seems very "stock KSP".  

I have modeled it on the original system used by Mercury called ASCS (Automatic Stabilization Control System) which worked more or less the same as the SAS in KSP.

11 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Make sense, however it was right in that the launch and deorbit was done on autopilot / remote control and the buttons was mostly an fallback.Guess the pilot rotated the pod around for better view but not much else.
This upset the test pilots as they was used to most being manual at that time, naturally Hollywood had to create more drama. 

That's how it was supposed to work... but the pilots had to manually control a great deal more than planned (which is half the reason you needed a pilot).  De-orbit was done manually on Freedom 7 because Shepard noticed the autopilot had put the capsule at the wrong angle.  GFL:Mercury will have simulated failures on all systems so you'll need to be on the ball to get back to earth!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.