[WIP] Kerbal Dreams - A stock planet continuation (with Gas Planet 2, and experimental HD terrain)

Gravitasi

6lYVuJ2.jpg

Build. Explore. Wonder.

Kerbal Dreams

Description

Kerbal Dreams adds some stockalike analogues of the outer planets (Saturn, Uranus, etc). It serves as a continuation of stock planets, based on plan by a former KSP developer, NovaSilisko. These are some features of the plugin, but not limited to:

1. Terrain detail level that you may never think possible in KSP. The plugin tries to push the limit of the game terrain system capabilities, to the point that it even surpasses detail level of stock planets. (unfortunately, terrain generation process becomes more computationally expensive as well)
  2. Following a strict, stockalike convention, so that the new bodies are almost indistinguishable from stock planets on every aspects. (except for the terrain, of course :P)

Screenshots

Open the album, and let me show you around. :wink:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Gravitasi

Wow, looking excellent! Regarding the plugin: How exactly do you modify the terrain - are you writing custom PQSMods for use with Kopernicus or is there some other magic involved? Will the methods used by you be applicable to other planets as well?

Wow, looking excellent! Regarding the plugin: How exactly do you modify the terrain - are you writing custom PQSMods for use with Kopernicus or is there some other magic involved? Will the methods used by you be applicable to other planets as well?

Yes, I'm writing some custom PQS mods in order to form the terrain. It's like writing your own VertexPlanet mod (a PQSMod that's being used exclusively on Minmus), for each of the planet.

It's possible, but you will need some programming capabilities, so you can implement your own PQSMods. :) (Btw, you meant "other planet packs" right?)

Yes, I'm writing some custom PQS mods in order to form the terrain. It's like writing your own VertexPlanet mod (a PQSMod that's being used exclusively on Minmus), for each of the planet.

It's possible, but you will need some programming capabilities, so you can implement your own PQSMods. :) (Btw, you meant "other planet packs" right?)

Ah, I see, you write them planet specific. Yes, that is what I meant :)

What's the name of GP2?

Umm... Well... Please check the "Help Wanted" section regarding that matter. :D

Looking forward to this :P
Impressive, VERY impressive! I really like Potatus two colored surface on the transition region. k_cheesy.gif

Thanks! :)

Can't wait for the mod releases thread, this stuff is amazing. Those views, and that terrain detail (I'm watching you, Squad!) is really one-of-a-kind!

Also, I've prepared some suggestions for names of giants. Uranus equivalent combined with your rules was the toughest. Hope you like them ;)

GP2 - Sudal [sOO-dahl], backwards of (Ence)ladus

GP3 - Urion [YUri-on], Uranus + Oberon

GP4 - Novus, honoring NovaSilisko for his vision & contribution to KSP

"Kluto" - Pemoh [PAM-oh], acronym of Pluto, Eris, Makemake, (2007)OR1and Haumea, biggest Trans-Neptunian objects discovered

PM me if you find any of them good enough for your plugin.

Is that terrain formation I see in this image an overhang?
How on earth did you manage to do an overhang?

There are no overhangs, people. :D It's just a very steep terrain. I don't think it's possible without a major change to the PQS/terrain system itself.

Also, I've prepared some suggestions for names of giants. Uranus equivalent combined with your rules was the toughest. Hope you like them ;)

GP2 - Sudal [sOO-dahl], backwards of (Ence)ladus

GP3 - Urion [YUri-on], Uranus + Oberon

GP4 - Novus, honoring NovaSilisko for his vision & contribution to KSP

"Kluto" - Pemoh [PAM-oh], acronym of Pluto, Eris, Makemake, (2007)OR1and Haumea, biggest Trans-Neptunian objects discovered

PM me if you find any of them good enough for your plugin.

Thanks! I think giving a honor to NovaSilisko in some way is a good idea, never thought about that before.:D I still open for more suggestion.:)

Hey wait... this sounds familiar...

You meant the mod name? Maybe. :wink:

Edit: I'm planning to change the plugin's name into something else. Please check the "Help Wanted" section for more information.

Edited by Gravitasi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.