[WIP] Kerbal Dreams - A stock planet continuation (with Gas Planet 2, and experimental HD terrain)

Gravitasi

I don't suppose you could post the code on github?

Not now, sorry. As I said in the OP, I still need to improve some things. Besides, the entire code is a terrible mess currently, so I have yet to clean things up.

By the way, just curious, what do you want to know about the plugin? Maybe I could just explain how things work for the time being. :)

Mainly just curious about Daphy's tiny terrain.

Okay, I'm not really sure about your current knowledge on this particular topic. But, based from the mods that you're currently working on (Kopernicus Expansion), I think you already know what coherent noise generators are (Perlin, Simplex, etc).

The key to form the detailed terrain is to use the noise output as the height input for the terrain. The noise output must be manipulated first in some way, so it will form the terrain feature that you wanted.

Personally, I use LibNoise for Unity for generating and manipulating the terrain. This is also the library that's being used by Squad, and also available in the KSP assembly. (by the way, I wouldn't recommend you to use the library that came from the assembly, because it's very outdated)

So, basically, you need to generate and manipulate the noises in order to form the terrain feature, and then you just assign the final noise value to this custom PQS mod (on the "module" member):

public class PQSMod_VertexHeightNoiseModule : PQSMod
{
public ModuleBase module = null;
public float deformity = 0;

public override void OnSetup()
{
this.requirements = PQS.ModiferRequirements.MeshCustomNormals;
}

public override double GetVertexMaxHeight()
{
return deformity;
}

public override double GetVertexMinHeight()
{
return -deformity;
}

public override void OnVertexBuildHeight(PQS.VertexBuildData data)
{
data.vertHeight += deformity * module.GetValue(data.directionFromCenter);
}
}

So yeah... That's it! The basic idea is quite that simple, really. The hardest (and the most time-consuming) part is determining the manipulation of the noises, so it will turn into a convincing terrain feature. Because, most of the time, the resulting terrain wouldn't look... right. :huh:

How big are the moons? (In terms of km)

Let's see... Daphy is the tiniest of all the moons, with radius of only 3 km! It's so tiny that you can easily spot a kerbal from orbit. :D Potatus itself is much larger, which has dimension around 197x197x164 km. I hope that answers your question. :)

Let's see... Daphy is the tiniest of all the moons, with radius of only 3 km! It's so tiny that you can easily spot a kerbal from orbit. :D Potatus itself is much larger, which has dimension around 197x197x164 km. I hope that answers your question. :)

Is it not really glitchy?

Is it not really glitchy?

Hmm... I have playtested it quite a lot of times, and I don't remember that I had found anything glitchy. Could you please elaborate what kind of glitch that could happen?

One of the possible glitch that I'm aware of is on a very small radius body, which make the game very laggy if you're on high orbit around it (e.g. rescaled Bop on Alternis Kerbol). It would still happen to Daphy. But, fortunately, Daphy has a very small SOI, due to its proximity with Gas Planet 2. So, you'll get a SOI change first long before you get to the "laggy altitude", and ultimately you won't experience the lag. Cheers! :)

Awesome mod! How far is the mod from being released? I'm really excited about it, good luck developing!
Excellent work. Great use of Landclasses too.

Thanks! Unfortunately, RL matters seem to keep me busy more than ever lately, so I have to postpone the release date from my initial plan, again. :P It will be released, hopefully, sometime before new year.

• 2 weeks later...
Dreaming Indeed!! This looks awesome! 'd never thought i'd have to choose between planet packs before . . .

Just adjust the configs to your likings. Go make Potatus orbit Sarnus, or Keelon, or even Kerbin XD. All it takes is a bit of text editing.

Edited by ThatOneBritishGuy...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any progress? Welp... it looks like small planet packs will no longer be visited after this mod releases... I mean we allready have OPM at the same quality...

On the other hand: I want to know more about how you manipulate the terrain Material so steep terrain no longer has that ugly rocky tiles, stretched, stock texture... Also, will you provide compatibility with Kerbol Origins (very WIP mod)?

is this yet another  planet pack that moves eeloo? because, well, theres already two other planetpacks that move eeloo: kerbol origins, and OPM. can you atleast provide a patch so its compatible with opm or kerbol origins?

On 8/25/2015 at 7:03 AM, Gravitasi said:

There are no overhangs, people. :D It's just a very steep terrain. I don't think it's possible without a major change to the PQS/terrain system itself.

Thanks! I think giving a honor to NovaSilisko in some way is a good idea, never thought about that before.:D I still open for more suggestion.:)

You meant the mod name? Maybe. :wink:

Edit: I'm planning to change the plugin's name into something else. Please check the "Help Wanted" section for more information.

would it be possible to add overhangs in the form of collidable objects, like the mun arches?

• 2 weeks later...
On 01.01.2016 at 1:30 PM, 123nick said:

would it be possible to add overhangs in the form of collidable objects, like the mun arches?

Yes, but they would be implemented as custom model ground scatter with modified textures and frequency rate. Also, they would only appear from up-close. I once tried this with Cristals for my planet Faz (from Kerbol Origins), but the Cristals looked odd appearing from nowhere.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.