[1.4.0] Old School Fairings

Felbourn

7pqLeYq.png

Greetings, Kerbanauts! Do you play with Stock aero? Do you like old school fairings? Is there something about procedural fairings that just doesn't hit home for you? If these are true then I have something for you.

I've programmed a small plugin to make old fairings work again in the new stock aero model. If you are using NEAR or FAR then you don't need this.

I've also taken over the discontinued KW fairings. They were mostly removed from the original mod, but you can still get them here.

Other mod makers of "hard" fairings have been including Module Manager patch files to make their fairings work with my mod, so I no longer include those patch files myself.

Caveats:
There are many things about doing it this way that are wrong for the general case but work fine if you play "honorably." The right way to do this would be to check the fairing volume and only shield what's really inside, as well as correctly handling all the fairing pieces from all angles. What I really do is this:

• Everything Shielded - Your entire payload will be shielded whether you cover it all or not. If a piece is sticking out of the fairing, it'll still be unrealistically shielded. Keep everything inside the fairing if you want to play honorably.
  • Single Cone Shield - Each nose segment tries to shield the payload, so trying to launch with half your fairing attached will act like the whole fairing is present until that one cone piece is decoupled. Attach all fairing sides if you want it realistic.
  • Sides Ignored - The sides of KW fairings are not managed. You technically only need the noses. Again, attach all of your fairings if you want it to appear realistic.
  • One Decouple - If you decouple or otherwise lose one nose piece of a fairing, the entire payload becomes unshielded. Walls are ignored, but lose one nose and everything will act like there are no other fairing pieces still attached.
  • Single Layer - A payload can only be shielded by one fairing. If you put a fairing-covered payload inside a fairing as a second payload itself, the second fairing will not function. The outer fairing will unshield its entire payload once decoupled, which includes any additional fairing-covered payloads inside.

Download

Source

88x31.png

Edited by Felbourn

Yes, it'll work on that. I have not tried it yet though. I noticed that mod a few days ago and I have been eyeing it expectantly. I love real world launchers and I am looking for a few good choices for various lifters.

Yes, it'll work on that. I have not tried it yet though. I noticed that mod a few days ago and I have been eyeing it expectantly. I love real world launchers and I am looking for a few good choices for various lifters.

That's awesome! I will test it with the rockets once you've got a download up and tell you how it goes! :)

Well, you've probably donwload the latest official version. I've released a test version of the Atlas V for KSP 1.0 some time ago, but that's not really the latest thing. I will pack you an up-to-date version based on my latest changes together and send it you via PM for testing, okay?

Well, you've probably donwload the latest official version. I've released a test version of the Atlas V for KSP 1.0 some time ago, but that's not really the latest thing. I will pack you an up-to-date version based on my latest changes together and send it you via PM for testing, okay?

Ooo I can't wait for release

I tested the 501 you included. THIS seemed to be working for it. You can have a copy now since I will be out the rest of the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Also note drag cubes are probably needed since I have noticed AIES and KW need them custom built, therefore I assume all fairing mods need them custom built. I can eventually do that, but for now your payload will at least be shielded and payload parts will not generate drag. The fairings themselves may generate the wrong drag though.

I don't recommend that, but I will do it because it's your mod and you can do as you like. The reason I would not recommend it is there might be a better mod that actually does the bounds checking properly, and it would probably conflict with my mod. It does not exist yet, but eventually it might. You'd be tied to my mod when there's a better choice. I suppose you could switch then, but your users would be forced to wait for you rather than just being and to delete mine and replace it with a better one. But yea... I will remove the files.

• 2 weeks later...

you, sir... never cease to amaze! i'd love to have the "old" fairings back. i always enjoyed the challenge of designing a payload within the constraints of the "solid" fairing walls. the new procedural system is cool (yet ugly), don't get me wrong, but not my preference. i do hope you'll continue development of this plugin, though i'm sure you're busy with your other projects... i'd love to provide assistance if i can, namely testing and such (not much of a programmer). keep up the fantastic work, bob! game on!

Thanks Azoix. This post has a link to a pre-release test. Give it a try? I'm almost ready to "release" it more officially.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/132343-1-0-4-Old-School-Fairings?p=2155564&viewfull=1#post2155564

Will the pre-release work with other "old school fairings" besides Launchers Pack and AIES?

Also, I'm excited for full release :)

i haven't had any luck with the AIES fairings yet, though i'm still working my way through a few of the smaller sizes... as for KW, i assume i need to merge the 'extras/oldFARfairings' data into my 'gamedata'? seeing as the only KW fairings i have available otherwise are "procedural"... i've yet to mess about with HGR at all.

Does your copy have an AIES CFG in my mod directory?

Yes you need the old KW parts to test the old KW parts. That sounds funny, said that way. :)

I've been busy making Odyssey episodes for two weeks, but I may have a chance to try this some more on my day off from work tomorrow.

my 'felbourn' directory does indeed have the AIES.cfg... i'll give the KW stuff a go in the morning. i really appreciate the work you've put into the odyssey series, please don't let this little project here keep you from enjoying a (well deserved) day off!

awesome stuff, bob! i really enjoyed today's odyssey episode! as for my findings ala KW, no joy... maybe it's my payload (which flies wonderfully with the procedural fairings), but i've yet to make it more than 30-40 degrees into my gravity turn before drag seems to grab it and flip the thing about. i'll continue to experiment a bit, to be honest, this will be the first time i've played with the 5m sets... i've always found the 2.5m bits to be enough! i'll get back to you! keep up the fantastic work! game on!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.