[1.4.0] Old School Fairings

Felbourn

Oh well. The link was technically for adding color options. I'll have to look closely to see what is up with career. Anything that says it was "removed " should not be showing up at all. I 'delete' two of the fairing types when TS is installed because they are carbon copies of the one I leave behind. We only need one copy with TS installed. THAT copy should not say removed.

On 6/12/2016 at 7:58 AM, Felbourn said:

Once you have tweakscale you only need the ones that look different. The ones that all look the same when you use tweakscale can be achieved by actually using tweakscale. This clears up your inventory a little of things you don't need to see.

On 8/5/2016 at 6:40 AM, harleyquinneth said:

Hello again. So I tried a few different combinations (stock tech tree with new update, stock with the last version, community tech tree with both versions). Unfortunately it seems nothing has worked. All the parts appear in the tech tree, but the title of them says they have been removed for tweak scale. Although in the old version there was that one nose cone that didn't have that. But in the newest version it is the same as the other parts. 

Just thought I'd let you know. I have very little experience with actually messing with mods, but I might try and fiddle around. 

Loving project Ares btw!

ran in to this problem as well I just removed the tweakscale cfg file and everything is running as intended on career mode not sure if this will break things if i actually try and use tweak scale on one of these fairings though

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think this mod is ready for publishing on CKAN?  I'm not part of the team, but I know enough of the indexing to get you going along the path to getting OSF listed.

Essentially, it boils down to getting a JSON file that defines your dependencies (if any exist), and any special installation instructions you may have.  The targeted version of KSP and latest mod version is used to determine which version of the mod is being updated for CKAN.  Keep in mind that this info is several months old, so it may not be entirely accurate.

The spec is at:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Adding-a-mod-to-the-CKAN

What I've done in the past to get mods added is create a rough draft of the JSON that has everything I see, then open a new issue here:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/new

That generally gets you going in the right direction.

If it wasn't after midnight PST, I'd help get you started a bit better, but hopefully that sheds a bit more light on how CKAN works.

I would happily accept any help putting it on CKAN. I don't personally use the service so I don't know much about its intricacies, or even have it installed. I prefer the hands-on approach because I get to control 100% of the files I install. For half the mods I use, I only copy in portions (not all) of the mod.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Leszek said:

If I understand Delta's comment the mod works  in 1.2 just don't use AIES fiarings is that correct?

I actually was using this in 1.1.3 since Felbourn has not updated it to 1.2 I managed to fix the problem by taking the AIES config from an older version and putting it in the Felbourn folder. By doing that I got the AIES fairings to work properly

It's not a problem with the mod; I think Felbourn just forgot to put the config into the release file. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Felbourn just FYI it's only the fairing shells won't split and detach from the base. However they are still aerodynamically protecting payloads inside.

Hope OSF gets updated soon, since I don't like the feeling of the procedural ones and this seems to be the only working hard fairing mod recently.

I have experimented with this in 1.2.1 recently but the variable I used to set seems to no longer stay set.

I used to change part.ShieldedFromAirstream to true for old school fairing covered parts. I even searched the Part module for other possibilities and found part.recheckShielding which I tried setting to false. Nothing has made this work in 1.2.1 for me yet.

Edited by Felbourn

Would like to see Horizon Aeronautics mod done with this please....  some day the mod will get picked up, its way to cool of a launcher, and to be honest, im a bit liquided no one has yet.  I mean it is easily the best modeled and engineered Launcher since the beginning.  No launcher has been created with so few parts that looks and does what the Zenit does. Im not trying to sound rude, I would maintain this if I had a clue.

Take a look, and the pics don't do it justice

22 hours ago, ArkaelDren said:

Would like to see Horizon Aeronautics mod done with this please....  some day the mod will get picked up, its way to cool of a launcher, and to be honest, im a bit liquided no one has yet.  I mean it is easily the best modeled and engineered Launcher since the beginning.  No launcher has been created with so few parts that looks and does what the Zenit does. Im not trying to sound rude, I would maintain this if I had a clue.

Take a look, and the pics don't do it justice

MeCripp has made a 1.2.1 compatible version and from this point on I will be taking over the mod. I will (most likely by the end of this week) start a new thread with MeCripp's patch as well as some of my own modifications. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.