[1.4.0] Old School Fairings

Felbourn

I have recompiled against 1.1.1 and checked that one of the KW fairings I now include worked ok (after a CFG change).

Give it a try. If it all works out, I can work on a real release.

https://github.com/Felbourn/OSFairings/releases/download/v.1.1.1.0/OSFairings_1.1.1.0.zip

10 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

My issue with the T1500 seems like an issue with where the decoupler module is placed. It might have to be moved either higher or lower than the current location. Can I change this by changing the attachment nodes in the cfg file?

I'll install AIES on my new 1.1.1 build and see what I can see.

On 4/29/2016 at 6:35 PM, Felbourn said:

I have recompiled against 1.1.1 and checked that one of the KW fairings I now include worked ok (after a CFG change).

Give it a try. If it all works out, I can work on a real release.

https://github.com/Felbourn/OSFairings/releases/download/v.1.1.1.0/OSFairings_1.1.1.0.zip

I'll install AIES on my new 1.1.1 build and see what I can see.

Hey, Felbourn, just wanted to say, glad to see this is still being worked on!  I have recently started building a new station but do not want to use the KW P-Fairings...ugly things...

hello @Felbourn The latest kw rocketry doesn't include the 5m expanded nosecone and fairing wall. You still need to download from 0.90(2.6d2 version)  http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/kw-rocketry-v2-7/files/2216751
I asked the kw redux op to include this in his mod

the files are
GameData\KWRocketry\Parts\Fairings\UnifiedFairings5m\KW_Fairing_ExpandingCone5m.mu
GameData\KWRocketry\Parts\Fairings\UnifiedFairings5m\KW_Fairing_ExpandingWall5m.mu

Does your patch work on this specific parts?

17 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

activate the fairing in the atmosphere?

I tried four times. One was on the launch pad via staging. One was launch pad via right-click buttons. One was launching and still in air at 25km. One was in space at 150km.

2 hours ago, Jeorge said:

latest kw rocketry doesn't include the 5m expanded nosecone and fairing wall

My mod should already include all discontinued KW parts. You don't need KW "old data" anymore.

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

if both this and FAR is installed

I remember creating a patch file to disable this in FAR, but I also noticed during early testing that FAR ignores the flag I use to make Stock happy, so even older versions that don't have the FAR patch should still work. I hope I included the patch file. I may have forgotten it. I'll check.

Edited by Felbourn

I just tried replicating what you did in AIES, in 1.1.2 with the only other mod being hyperedit. The fairings cleared the vehicle easily, but they collided into each other after tumbling once. Did you accidently use the T2000 fairing instead? The T2000 and the T1000 work fine, but the T1500 is the one that I'm having trouble with.

I compiled it for 1.1.1 but it should work in 1.1.2 and the MM version should not matter. I compiled for 1.1.2 at home and it works ok. I will need to create a test vehicle for EVERY fairing combo and test them all. I maybe didn't use the one you used, or maybe they work for me because I have no other mods on my test install but you do.

It's probably a bad minus sign in the decoupler. Edit the CFG and change the ejection power to be a negative number (or if it was negative then make it positive) and see if that fixes it.

I'd do it, but I am at work for 8-10 hours :) right now.

• 2 weeks later...

@FelbournI just played around with changing the point where the engine thrust is directed, but with no success. It appears that the thing that controls this is called thrustVectorTransformName. How can I set this up so that the engine is in a place so that the fairings can decouple without hitting each other after one tumble?

The thrust vector is a point set up by the model maker, and can only be moved (as far as I know) by editing the model. You'd need to load it into blender, move the point, reset the texture (since it seems to get messed up by importing MUs directly into blender) and then reexport. I have never actually done this, despite mostly knowing sort of how it's done. In other words... it's really complicated and probably not something either of us would be able to figure out easily.

1 hour ago, Felbourn said:

The thrust vector is a point set up by the model maker, and can only be moved (as far as I know) by editing the model. You'd need to load it into blender, move the point, reset the texture (since it seems to get messed up by importing MUs directly into blender) and then reexport. I have never actually done this, despite mostly knowing sort of how it's done. In other words... it's really complicated and probably not something either of us would be able to figure out easily.

Then is there a way to move where the moduleDecoupler is located?

The decoupler force is also applied from a point defined by the model. I've previously tried this kind of thing with certain fairings and never figured out how to make it work. My skills stop at software engineering.

It restores the discontinued KW fairings, so in a way yes it adds fairings.

However, I need to finish off testing them. Instead of testing I have been working on some videos for a new YouTube series called Project Ares. I'll see if I can take a break from videos to test and really "finish" the mod for 1.1.2 today.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.