[FAR] Slats - How to?

theend3r

Pretty much every modern airplane I see uses slats but there are only a few I ever saw in KSP using them. Do people use them? If so, how do you set them up?

Bind them to the same keys as flaps or can they possibly be used in different situations?

I know this is a very broad topic and it would be best to read a 500p book about it but some general tips and tricks that we could all profit from is what I'm looking for.

Thanks

I use them. Two methods of setup that do slightly different things.

For actual slats, just set up control surfaces on the leading edge, set pitch/yaw/roll to 0, and enable them as flaps. Then bind them to an action group. These act like active slats.

The other way is a control surface on the leading edge, set the pitch/yaw/roll all to 0, set AoA to -100, and control deflection to 40 or so. That makes them point directly into the airflow at all times. They provide no benefit during takeoff/landing (unless you also set them as flaps) but do substantially lower the aircraft's stall speed automatically, enabling more aerobatic maneuvers. Essentially these act like passive slats.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.