ODEN Project (Orbital Debris Elimination Network)

May I present the Orbital Debris Elimination Network, brought to you by Joshmo United Aerospace, and MechJeb.

Here we have a unit ready for launch.

screenshot10wa.png

Gravity turn for 200 km orbit.

screenshot13r.png

Acquiring target.

screenshot9eg.png

Destroying it\'s final positioning rocket.

screenshot0sq.png

The unblinking eye of MechJeb.

screenshot12nq.png

The finished network - 13 satellites.

screenshot1euh.png

Satellites can be redirected in moments to deal with debris. Should two or more units come within 2 km of each other, they are programmed to fight to the death. Better to lose one than both. The destroyed satellite will be quickly replaced with a new one. There are currently a lot of detractors pointing out that most of the debris currently in orbit was in fact put there by the ODEN project, but we will have things cleaned up in short order, and they will stay that way. No Kessler Syndrome for us!

Oh, and mot to worry, we have taken steps to ensure the drones only shoot down debris. We are almost positive they won\'t attack complete ships.

Add-ons include MechJeb, and Sunbeam Laser. All else is stock. .craft file if anyone cares.

EDIT: Added persistence file.

I\'ve been playing with the persistant file and I\'m still having problems with the lasers not hitting. I\'m just not that skilled, yet. It\'s great man, I can\'t wait to see what other ideas involving satellites come up.

I\'ve been playing with the persistant file and I\'m still having problems with the lasers not hitting. I\'m just not that skilled, yet. It\'s great man, I can\'t wait to see what other ideas involving satellites come up.

The mod download post lists the controls. The 7 button activates the auto-aim. And don\'t forget button 9 - that\'s for the targeting lasers.

The question is, can it stop an ICBM launch? Like in Tom Clancy\'s End War

When we attempted a software update to upgrade the drones to a global defense network, the satellites showed a marked inability to discern between an unmanned missile, and a manned science vessel. The entire network will have to be scrapped and re-deployed - if we can get them down from there that is.

I\'d imagine this is something out of the mortal engines series of books, where the earth (after a war which wiped out most technology and civilization) is populated by humans who live in moving cities which are in a war against people who think towns and cities should stay stationary. And a rogue character gets a hold of an old piece of tech called ODIN, which shoots massive lasers down from satellites to destroy everything.

I\'d imagine this is something out of the mortal engines series of books, where the earth (after a war which wiped out most technology and civilization) is populated by humans who live in moving cities which are in a war against people who think towns and cities should stay stationary. And a rogue character gets a hold of an old piece of tech called ODIN, which shoots massive lasers down from satellites to destroy everything.

I had not heard of that series, but I shall look into it now.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.