[1.5.x] Kronkus -A Kopernicus Planet Pack-

MrChumley

9 hours ago, Funtime60 said:

Please forgive me for being absolutely clueless in this matter, but I got rid of the extra CommNet groundstation without killing the game by editing the Kersex config file. I simply changed the section

Template
        {
            name = Kerbin

to

Template
        {
            name = Laythe

When I started the game up everything worked as far as I can tell and there was no ground station. If I didn't kill the game what did I kill?

Did you try to land?...

Please remove your link. (You can message me privately to collaborate, or make a fork on github.  I'd be greatful for the help)  

I've done extensive testing in career mode and I find that by the time you progress to a point that your comnet extends as far as Kronkus the extra base doesn't effect playability.  Kersex is supposed to use the kerbin template, and depends on several built in PQS mods that are inherent to kerbins template. 

On a side note, if you use contract configurator, there are some contracts that add content dependant on the extra base:sealed:

Edited by MrChumley

I apologize for my ignorance in this subject. To answer your question, yes I did land on Kersex and noting blew up in my face, both figurative and literally.

I think that so long as this doesn't kill my game every other time I use it, I'll keep using this edited config, the contracts aren't that big a deal for me, I just like having commnets that actually need redundancy and this groundstation makes it too easy for me. I also just realized that I have another mod installed that adds 3 more upgrade levels to the DSN, with level 6 being 125 times more powerful than level 3, the normal max. These crazy numbers are in an attempt to reach another star with the commnet.

Thank you for explaining this to me.

So far whenever I use new horizons I always install this. Great with distant object enhancer, now I have more than 3 gas giants to look at in the sky. Love the mod, hope you can make it even better!

Still looking forward to aerobrake in Kronkus.

20 hours ago, Apxllu said:

So far whenever I use new horizons I always install this. Great with distant object enhancer, now I have more than 3 gas giants to look at in the sky. Love the mod, hope you can make it even better!

Still looking forward to aerobrake in Kronkus.

Thank you very much for your kind words.  It truly means a lot.  

I'm glad you are enjoying the Kronkus pack.   Good luck with your aerobrake.  I guarantee a spectacular experience :D (pics are always welcome)

Coming soon :

EVE clouds for Kersex 

More contracts for contract configurator

I'm also working on an intro video, but this is definitely not my strong suit.  If anyone else makes one please let me know so that I can give it a place on the first post.

4 hours ago, DerpzGames said:

I have used this pack once

I encourage you to give it another try.  The ground station is hard coded into the Kerbin template and cannot be removed.  As I have said before, I have done extensive testing, and have determined that the extra base has minimal impact on gameplay.  During career mode the station cannot be upgraded so its range is extremely limited.  I have also included optional configs for contract configurator that adds content dependant the Kersex ground station.  (Ever wanted to launch an ssto from somewhere other than KSC on Kerbin?)

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats :)

I just did a quick test with Kornkus and Research Bodies,  
and it seems your glorious planet is not properly hidden.
Anything I can do about that to make them compatible?

I also noticed, that ONLY with Kronkus installed,
and the current 1.3.5 version of Kopernicus,
Kerbin looks very differently on the options window.
When I go ingame the planet looks normal though,
however, and I didn't take a pic of this but when I also install OPM when I get back to the options window after that,
kerbin is just a white sphere.

And finally, notice how the 3 moons have the exact same orbit right after new game :)

gHwAmTn.jpg

I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume this is Kopernicus related, I'm using 1.3.
so please note that when I did tests with OPM, the same Kopernicus and Extra Solar there were no similar problems.

Mods installed:
7t5YYNa.png

Thanks, 
planet looks great though :D
so I'm hoping there's a quick fix for this so I can do a play-through with it

Edited by RHodeidra

8 hours ago, RHodeidra said:

Congrats :)

I just did a quick test with Kornkus and Research Bodies,  
and it seems your glorious planet is not properly hidden.
Anything I can do about that to make them compatible?

I also noticed, that ONLY with Kronkus installed,
and the current 1.3.5 version of Kopernicus,
Kerbin looks very differently on the options window.
When I go ingame the planet looks normal though,
however, and I didn't take a pic of this but when I also install OPM when I get back to the options window after that,
kerbin is just a white sphere.

And finally, notice how the 3 moons have the exact same orbit right after new game :)

Hello.  Thanks for your interest in Kronkus :)

To answer 

Research bodies: I have to go and run some tests, but I suspect it is working as intended.  If I remember right research bodies has an easy, med, hard mode.  I think I made Kronkus /Kersex discovered at game start because its soo huge in easy and normal. These settings are controlled by KronkusRsBdys.cfg. you can change ignore levels to false if you want them hidden in easy/normal.

Main screen: This is just a fun easter egg it is added by a line in Kersex.cfg

%mainMenuBody = Kersex

Just delete that line to remove effect.  OPM does this too, but I forget which planet..

And about the moons orbits: I spent an immense amount of time on orbital characteristics.  The Kronkian moons have a 1:2:4:8 orbital resonance. :cool: (I'd be interested to see an n-body simulation with Kronkus)

I hope I covered the bases.  Let me know if anything else pops up!  Good luck with your explorations! 

Edited by MrChumley

Thanks,
I'll make it work.
OPM doesn't seem to do that anymore though, and your orbits just had very similar initial eccentricity, so I won't notice after a while.

EDIT; it seems that your mod also somehow autoupgrades everything in career,
and causes cloud problems on Kerbin, conflicting with Stock Visual Enhancements and/or Terrain.
Now, I noticed this with this modlist:
http://i.imgur.com/h4hsXwm.png
So yeah...
BUT I swear it wasn't a problem before I installed yours :)

EDIT 2: Y it was fixed after removing your two folders, sorry :/ 

Edited by RHodeidra

:rolleyes: that's quite an extensive modlist!

How did you go about installing? (D/l from forum link, Ckan etc?)

Old save games are not guaranteed to work when adding / subtracting planets.  If you start a new career save with Kronkus, I'm sure you will be greeted by the ole familiar dirt hill launchpad and lvl 1 facilities.

Kronkus supports Environmental visual enhancements with Kronkclouds.cfg to put clouds and eclipse shadows on Kersex. 

Sometimes when you go to the KSC the scene will look messed up after returning from a scene with a kopernicus planet. (Funny sky) but in game it is fine.

Kronkus currently supports Kopernicus 1.3.0-5. (1.3.0-6) seems to work so far for me.  I hope we can get this sorted out so you can enjoy my planets. :wink:

All manual installs,
new save,
using stock visual mods, so is very quickly reproduced by simply installing stock visual enhancements and terrain and it's prereqs, 
and then your mod and it's prereqs. 
I'll keep trying today, Kronkus would really put the cherry on my current planet, yeah.
EDIT: Oh and it's nothing in the Spud folder, so I'll be deleting files from the Kronkus folder until I get it to work to narrow it down. Will Edit here again then.
EDIT2: Can't seem to narrow it down. And the fact that NEW career saves suddenly started with fully upgraded items baffles me.

Edited by RHodeidra

• 4 weeks later...

I hope the total silence indicates that all is well in the Kronkus system. :sealed:

Or maybe I need to totally change things up to provide a more imminent challenge? Like pulling the ole swicharoo on Kerbin and Kersex?

HxYm6Gt.jpg

That way you start out in the gravity well of a huge gas giant?  Any thoughts?

If you want to try out my proposed changes:  Right click and save as MoveKerbin.cfg <~~~Put in GameData/Kronkus folder.  

Changes will be in the next update, depending on feedback.  Please let me know what you think.  

Anyone tried the OweeBooBoo run yet? :rep:

Edited by MrChumley
Changed link

I'll start out by saying this is probably all my fault. I grabbed your moveKerbin cfg and put it in the appropriate folder - However - I am still running KSP-1.2.2 with the corresponding Kopernicus version. I am also running a couple versions old Kronkus pack  (1.2). I am waiting for KSP 1.3.1 to release and the dust to settle before upgrading. I did not anticipate this cfg change would be version dependent. Anyway, with the cfg added Kerbin and Kersex do switch places but when you start a game instead of the space center scene all I get is a big blue sky.  When switching to map view I can see the two have changed locations then when I focus view to another body, Kerbin gets relabelled as Meelo. Iwas able to select VAB from the big blue sky (space center) screen. I could then select a ship and launch without incident.

Forgetting that all did not go as expected, my thought on this proposed change is mixed. My preference would be to make this an option for those who want the challenge and leave as is for the rest.

3 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

My thought on this proposed change is mixed.

Thanks very much for your input.  It shouldn't be version dependant (not positive though).  I'm not planning on changing any Kronkus assets anymore so if you don't want to move Kerbin you can just delete MoveKerbin.cfg. (see below)

The patch is still in dev.  The black/blue space center with no buildings was solved by adding a 'isHomeWorld = true' line to Kerbin.  

I have also been testing stuff out and have decided to try things a bit differently.  Instead of switching Kerbin and Kersex , I just moved Kerbin into orbit of Kronkus on an orbit further out than Scool. I did a bunch of number crunching to keep the planetary resonance orbits a thing.  I moved the Mun into orbit where Kerbin was and made Minmus a moon of Mun.  It should be playable now (space center buildings back)

Right click and save as MoveKerbin.cfg <~~~ put in GameData/Kronkus folder.

18 hours ago, MrChumley said:

The black/blue space center with no buildings was solved by adding a 'isHomeWorld = true' line to Kerbin.  

I added this line to the previous cfg I downloaded and it does work in an existing game. I did have to exit and restart to get the buildings to show but it works. It is pretty cool to launch and have a big ringed world rise up on the horizon. Transferred out to Meelo and landed. Similar to transferring from Mun to Minmus, MJ is useless in the hands of an amateur like me. I had to create a maneuver node by hand. It was sloppy but I got there. This is the biggest issue I see with what you are proposing. It takes some skill that others may or may not possess.  

On 8/2/2017 at 2:02 PM, MrChumley said:

The ground station is hard coded into the Kerbin template and cannot be removed.  As I have said before, I have done extensive testing, and have determined that the extra base has minimal impact on gameplay.  During career mode the station cannot be upgraded so its range is extremely limited.

... I'll add a known issues section.  I accept PRs at github if anyone has another solution.:huh:

Edited by MrChumley

Now hear (read) this!

Spoiler

SqbJSE8.gif

FarOut enterprises now utilizes Kerbal-constructs and Kerbinside assets allowing you to launch craft from multiple bases on Kersex!

0IUqqtV.jpg

Dependencies:

FarOutV3.zip   Source

Contract Configurator

Kerbal Constructs

Kerbin-Side (any install)

And Kopernicus, modulemanager, and Kronkus.

Enjoy :D

Edited by MrChumley

A little love for Spud that comes in this pack. I've had Spud circling Dres for a very long time. I've always intended to send a mission, just hadn't gone. Then I find out it uses Tylo as a template meaning Easter Egg! (haven't found it yet) Being a low gravity world it can be easy to land if you choose your site well. 

oyZldEj.jpg

This landing spot is kind of Minmus but grittier and far more rugged and interesting. You can see Dres in the clearing on the horizon. Kronkus is just to the right of the pyramid on the horizon (ancient aliens? - some theorists say yes). Urlum is just above Dres. 

I also landed in a deep dark canyon area. No lights on my lander so no pictures. Thought for sure no one was coming home. Wow scary terrain - almost like Mun's north pole. 

I will probably lose the rings but otherwise great job.

4 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

A little love for Spud that comes in this pack. I've had Spud circling Dres for a very long time. I've always intended to send a mission, just hadn't gone. Then I find out it uses Tylo as a template meaning Easter Egg!

One of the most interesting thing about Spud (for me) it its orbital characteristics.  It took some number crunching, but I was able to keep it tidally locked to the sun, even as it orbits Dres.  The idea is that it captured comet.  The ring is supposed to represent vapor off gassing.  There is some weird visual stuff that occurs when you make a vertical ring,  representing it as a rainbow seems to make it more believable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.