[WIP] Kopernicus Expansion v0.2: comets, footprints, new PQSMods for Kopernicus

MrHappyFace

So I've been experimenting with making caves on planets... Needless to say, there have been many explosions, bugs, etc.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Some bugs I've noticed:

• Whenever I zoom out so that the camera touches the ceiling, instead of not going any further, it immediately clips up to the surface.
  • Sometimes I'll just randomly explode :mad:
  • The modified PQS Quads won't be reset, and will be reused by the terrain in other parts of the world, or even on other planets. This makes Mun caves appear on Kerbin, even retaining the Mun surface material... Not sure how to fix this, short of completely destroying the quad and removing it from the pool.
  • The obvious lighting issues with bending the terrain that much. This is easily fixable, I just need a better cave mesh generator.
  • The insides of the cave will still be lit, even if the sun is occluded. Not sure how to fix this...

Otherwise, it behaves surprisingly well, I need to do further testing though.

I'm not currently using a PQSMod, I just have a behaviour added to all PQs that allows me to alt-click on them to turn them into caves.

I still need a better mesh generator though, so if anyone can help me in that area, please do. Also, the caves are generated differently on different latitudes and longitudes, thankfully though, it's consistent through time. :P

Edited by MrHappyFace

How do you hide the Edit Gas Giant and Edit Comet Tail buttons from the ingame map / signal tracker button tray?

In settings.cfg it only states "set this to 'editor' to allow..", but doesnt say what you set it to if you DONT want editor :P

Safe to just delete that entry?

Would it be possible to have a variable aurora effect based off of the gas giant clouds to give the impression of magnetic field interactions? Having taller auroras for stronger fields or variable periods where the auroras are more chaotic simulating increased solar activity?

Another development update...

models and textures were made by Wheredidthejellygo.

I've been working on a system for adding life to other planets. The creature in those images is a squid-like thing called a Squig, which is supposed to live underwater, but I haven't gotten water spawning to work yet.

When complete, this will allow planet pack authors to model, animate, and texture their own creatures, and have them spawn ingame with configurable AI.

The main reason I did this was because I was working on subterranean oceans, (expect images of those soon) like the oceans on Europa or Enceladus, but they were very dark and empty, and I wanted to liven them up :).

Edited by MrHappyFace

Oh...MY.....JEBEDIAH!

Aliens! This is the most EPIC thing I have seen in my entire life!

With custom ground scatter and this, we will be able to create planets with plants, jungles and wildlife! That will make planets more interesting to visit.

Will you be able to make the aliens agressive, so they attack your ship?

Mein Gott...so they have an AI system and they spawn randomly around places? Also, can you get science from them?

The main reason I did this was because I was working on subterranean oceans, (expect images of those soon) like the oceans on Europa or Enceladus, but they were very dark and empty, and I wanted to liven them up :).

Another thing, did I read this right? Subterranean oceans?!!!

Another thing, did I read this right? Subterranean oceans?!!!

Yes, you read that right: Subterranean oceans!

*oceans sold seperately

Basically, the underground oceans work by placing some upside down terrain below the regular terrain, and punching holes through so that players can bring ships down there. Then, it's just a simple matter of adding an ocean to the planet, just like you would to a regular planet.

BTW, in these images, what would be the underside of the surface ice is placed 15km above the regular terrain (instead of a few km below) for debugging purposes.

Edited by MrHappyFace
grammar

I need this in my life...... Like..... Badly.................

Really badly.....................................

I can already see it... Configs for a subterranean ocean on Eeloo... Yes.......... Yes..... YES!.......... YES!......... YES!........YES!!!!!!

Edited by ThatOneBritishGuy...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.