[WIP] Kopernicus Expansion v0.2: comets, footprints, new PQSMods for Kopernicus

MrHappyFace

On 7.5.2016 at 2:06 AM, LaytheDragon said:

If I were to download this (and Kopernicus) and enable ONLY the footprints feature, would it work in 1.1.2?

@ CaptRobau    merci

@LayhteDragon  It was made with 1.0.5 but to lazy to post it before :P

I test it with  1.1.2 and we still have to be patiently.(short answer:NO)

No hurries at all, but I must admit that I miss a lot the shader for giant gas bodies. Once you have a good procedural giant gas... you don't wan't to be back to static textures never again, lol.

Thanks for this great addition to the game!

I would like to use this for my mod, Real Solar System Expanded, and as such, I would appreciate this mod being updated to 1.1.2. I am not requesting an update, I am just showing support for this mod.

I found a bug. When applying a comet tail effect to a gas planet the tail continues infinitely away as opposed to stopping like others do. This was tested using a command c command v with the eeloo example

EDIT: also about what percent are you through the 1.1 update :blush:

Edited by Kepler68

• 2 weeks later...

@MrHappyFace

Back in the day I completely glossed over the ModularNoise feature, mostly because it looked so complicated, but since then I've learned more about procedural generation. This ModularNoise looks like it could solve many of the limitations that stock noise is running into. Would it be possible for this PQSMod to be made standalone, so that it could be included with Kopernicus or with mods that use it. Because even if it were to be updated, it'd mean KopernicusExpansion would be mandatory instead of optional. All of your other additions to Kopernicus are that, additions. It's there for those who want it, can run it, etc. That's perfect for those things, but this ModuleNoise would be essential to any mod that used it.

6 hours ago, CaptRobau said:

@MrHappyFace

Back in the day I completely glossed over the ModularNoise feature, mostly because it looked so complicated, but since then I've learned more about procedural generation. This ModularNoise looks like it could solve many of the limitations that stock noise is running into. Would it be possible for this PQSMod to be made standalone, so that it could be included with Kopernicus or with mods that use it. Because even if it were to be updated, it'd mean KopernicusExpansion would be mandatory instead of optional. All of your other additions to Kopernicus are that, additions. It's there for those who want it, can run it, etc. That's perfect for those things, but this ModuleNoise would be essential to any mod that used it.

If I did that, then I'd have to seperate all the other PQSMods I have planned as well, and if I separated everything out based on their purpose, I'd have several plugins instead of just one, which would be hugely inconvenient for me. Also, the way KopernicusExpansion is structured, it has very little overhead unless one of it's features is in use. plus the mod is currently just a 2mb dll and a ~1mb config file, so overall it's a very small mod overall. I might want to do so in the future for some of the larger features, but not now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2016 at 2:34 PM, Kepler68 said:

i don't think it would correctly work with the stock orbit system or rendering system unfortunately. 

Well I know it is possible to make planets that look like this:

5.jpg

6 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Procedural comet generator is great! Could you change the semi-major axis field to be a multiple of Jool so that it would be compatible with the SigmaDimensions rescale mod?

Alright, I changed it so they can spawn anywhere from 0.5x to 10x Jool's SMA.

9 hours ago, ibuckshot5 said:

Alright, I changed it so they can spawn anywhere from 0.5x to 10x Jool's SMA.

Any thoughts on making a random planet generator? Perhaps one that could create an entire star system? If so then you have just become a forum celebrity!

After being amazed by the options this mod i found (by browsing the KSRPC folder names) provides, I pretty much instantly installed it.

Yet, I have a problem. Since KSPRC provides a Jool Ramp and a Storm texture for KE but does not use them, I simply changed some things in the example configs for procedural jool to make the rings come true.                                 Here is the code.

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
    @Body[Jool]
    {
        @ScaledVersion
        {
            ProceduralGasGiant
            {
                rampTexture = KopernicusExpansion/Data/JoolRamp
                cloudSpeed = 100
                hasStorms = true
                stormFrequency = 1.77
                stormThreshold = 0.33
                seed = 738314
                distortion = 0.009
                frequency = 13.074
                lacunarity = 1.163
                gain = 1.262
            }
        }
    }
}

After checking the folder names (the texture is indeed in the data folder now) and all that, the wanted rings do not appear.

I have just left everything else as it was in the example configs, since my kerbal coding skills are not very far beyond changing some names or deleting folders. The texture for the Ramp is a PNG, if this helps. Also, if somebody could explain me how to make the other texture, a JoolStorms one, work, that would be great. I thank in advance.

On 6/18/2016 at 5:57 PM, daniel l. said:

Any thoughts on making a random planet generator? Perhaps one that could create an entire star system? If so then you have just become a forum celebrity!

*cracks knuckles*

It will be hard but doable (the star system thing, at least)

The planet thing will be semi-easy

Edited by ibuckshot5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Idea: Actual revamps for all the planets and moons, the moons have either small dust clouds (Minmus, Pol and Gilly), "Glowing" near it (Moho, Mun and Ike), Ice particles somewhere near it (Vall and Eeloo), rocks near it (Ike, Tylo and Dres) and bending light in a tiny place where the Kraken easter egg is (I think you know where THAT is, if you don't, it is Bop). One of the harder ones are the CMEs (Coronal Mass Ejections), the solar flares and the rings of plasma that disappear after a while then reappear in a different place, and so on, but those altogether would basically be a Visual Mod powered by Kopernicus. It would also look AMAZING. Also for some mods that add planets, add clouds to them, like clouds to Tekto from OPM and some animation of gas giants like Urlum, Neidon, Sarnus and Kronkus. I haven't tried this mod, but it has almost infinite potential.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.