Elcano Challenge - Circumnavigating Kerbin [FINISHED]

Bubbadevlin

The Great Kerbin Expedition

I am now done circumnavigating Kerbin, I tried to stay equatorial for the entire time, however i had to go slightly north to bypass the large mountains west of the KSC. I headed east and required a total of 5 refuelings. It was a fun journey however i am very, very glad it is done. The whine of basic jet engines make me nearly crazy....! I have created a map of the path of my journey.

p9J4Cdo.jpg

My craft is called the HSATV Mk 12 or the High Speed All Terrain Vehicle. It is a craft i have been working on for a while now, to cross large swaths of Kerbin easily. It is powered by 2 basic jet engines with 2500 units of liquid fuel in the tanks. On water it goes 60 m/s and on land it averages 90 m/s. It is crewed with two Kerbals and the main wheels are medium landing gear.

Part 1:

I started by heading east from the KSC along the equator. The first part of the journey was all mostly crossing the ocean. During that i made two stops on peninsulas and refueled twice. After that the land journey began across the large central continent. It was very quick going until i reached some mountains, where i had to reload many many times. I am currently 1/3 the way around Kerbin and in the middle of crossing the continent. I have sadly not caught any crashes on camera :D

Javascript is disabled. View full album

For some reason the album is in reverse order!

Part 2:

I have crossed the main continent with a lot of crashes. And i refueled at the eastern end. I then crossed the ocean and headed slightly south to intercept the peninsula. From there I started crossing the ocean but only made it 4/5th of the way there. Because of this, i had to refuel on water, which was interesting to say the least. I then made landfall near the large crater and am about 2/3rd of the way around Kerbin

Part 3:

I have made it south of the mountains near the crater, and headed east to the desert. I crosses the desert fairly easily, and crashed only a few times. I then headed across the ocean to a peninsula, where I refueled for the last time. From there I crossed the final ocean. Upon making landfall i headed east, until i reached the mountains west of the KSC. I had to turn slightly north to make it through the pass though, as those mountains are too steep! I then made it back to the KSC with a bang, i jumped the Astronaut Complex!

Gdjb6eS.png?3

This is not edited, this rover is just that freaking fast, and stable! It is a pleasure to drive, and should be coming out on the spacecraft exchange soon!

Edited by Bubbadevlin

Nifty vehicle. Man, you were catching some big air there. Were those fatal? And that's an interesting refueling system you've got.

As to IMGR picture order, you can sort albums by picture name so I always start them with numbers: 01, 02, and so on.

Nifty vehicle. Man, you were catching some big air there. Were those fatal? And that's an interesting refueling system you've got.

Well, yea most of those air times were fatal, although some were not, as for refueling i just slapped together a rover and launched it suborbital (part of the reason i am trying to keep equitorial)

Ah, nice job. :D

I didn't have much luck with the Mk2 fuselage parts because it kept making my boat want to buck up and down. Although mine probably ended up a bit heavier, so I'm sure that didn't help.

In either case, I love the way yours looks. Very cool! And good luck with the challenge.

Cheers,

~Claw

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.