Rover Garage

This is my idea.

To go along with the VAB and SPH, a smaller facility for the construction of ground vehicles.

While the SPH does fulfill this function, I think a much smaller scale and possibly a different control setup (like the difference between the VAB and SPH scenes) would help.

This also allows for another set of building upgrades.

One possibility would be to upgrade to "Proving Grounds" where the Rover, or what have you, could be tested on different terrain.

I know this sounds a little like Kerbal Konstructs, but I am not suggesting anything nearly as ambitious. It would be a way to get Kerbals to EVA's on different parts of Kerbin, without requiring a Rocket or Space plane.

I don't care about the control setup or building upgrades, but having a third location where we can launch vehicles would make it a lot easier to run a truly reusable space program. It is annoying to have to juggle vehicles to clear the runway so you can spawn a tanker or a bus to reload a returning spaceplane, so being able to spawn these sorts of vehicles somewhere other than the runway would be useful.

Something like this?

http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2010/08/09/082310Curiosity.jpg

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/mars-curiosity-rover-640x426.jpg

It's certainly not a bad idea but I'm not sure it is worth the effort. The only reason the SPH exists was because originally you couldn't switch between Radial and Mirror symmetry. That's actually a fairly recent addition. If they did do it, you wouldn't want it too small. I've seen some huge rovers in this game.

Edited by Alshain

Well the junction edges of KSC create some funky angles and conditions for rover testing.

A concrete slab out there as spawn point would also be useful for engine and part test contracts.

Objects built and named in this building could then appear as sub-assemblies in the other construction buildings.

So you can build your rover send out to test then when ready to send it elsewhere get quick access to it.

Although to me this would be useful for building or refining sub-assemblies.

Crazy as this sounds, I think a small assembly building would be great. Without using camera mods, trying to make very small probes and rovers with precise part placement can be tricky, nevermind small subassemblies. A really small workshop with much closer camera angles could be great for building such things. Big rovers can still get built in SPH.

Indifferent on launch point. My "proving grounds" are the launch pad itself, that thing has some of the roughest terrain you could ask for in such a dense area, no joke. Anything that would simulate bad driving conditions better than what you can do there would have to be a full fledged simulator with low g and nonatmospheric settings available, which I also support but that has much broader applications than a rover proving ground.

A pickup point for missions that require loading kerbals up on the runway would be nice though.

You could use Kerbal Konstructs for building one or some more Launchsides.

That means that you will build your rover in the SPH but launch it to another launchsite. I have made one just in front of the SPH. So I can land my Shuttle on the runway, park it there and then launch a rover in front of the SPH and drive it to the parked shuttle to refuel it there.

It works like a charm.

Well the junction edges of KSC create some funky angles and conditions for rover testing.

A concrete slab out there as spawn point would also be useful for engine and part test contracts.

Objects built and named in this building could then appear as sub-assemblies in the other construction buildings.

So you can build your rover send out to test then when ready to send it elsewhere get quick access to it.

Although to me this would be useful for building or refining sub-assemblies.

Yes! A concrete playground with ramps, bowl, curbs, and a big flat area with a few blast marks!

I didn't know I wanted a rover garage and test area until this thread!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.