Devnote Tuesday: New Format!

SQUAD

Not bad. Now rewrite one knowing that thousands of people are going to read it and cite it in the future as gospel, others are going to actively look for things to criticize in it, still more are going to pound you with questions about the things you didn't do, etc. Be sure to write it in a language other than your native one, too. Devnotes, for better or worse, are now PR activities, which means that language and content have to be carefully controlled and vetted. It takes a minute or two to come up with what you want to say, but likely an hour or more to phrase it in an acceptable way.

I liked the old format better, but I understand the switch. The devs can give their unpolished 2-minute versions to Badie or Kasper or whoever is writing these and let them do the polishing while they go back to developing.

Yup, this. Someone upthread said this must take longer than the old format implying it would negatively affect development but for the people that matter, the ones actually writing code, it takes less of their day and they can get back onto more important tasks.

I know myself how just writing an email can take unreasonable amounts of time out of my day. It`s not always easy to switch between having your head deep in something to pull it out to write something then get back into it and it can disrupt your thoughts longer than the time it takes to just write it.

I also preferred the old format but I`d rather have more dev hours concentrated on pure coding than some pretty words on the forum.

If that is the trade off then I welcome it.

EDIT :

The GPU stuff for Physix is and was always limited to some computation only (mainly particles).

yeah, from what I have seen the real benefit will be on the order of 10-30%. Not world breaking but still better than nothing.

Edited by John FX

How hard is it to write a few sentences?

You might think I'm a jerk, but I think I have a completely valid point.

I don't, but you might think I'm one when I ask if you have a job, especially one where you have to summarize your work day to justify it to other people.

I work 10 hour days. 9.5 of those hours are handling grueling, inane, obscure, undocumented problems on tight time schedules based on reports that are frequently incomplete or simply wrong. I love those 9.5 hours. They invigorate me. The last 30 minutes of my day I spend summarizing what I did, and usually by the time I'm done I want to put a bullet in my head.

I don't, but you might think I'm one when I ask if you have a job, especially one where you have to summarize your work day to justify it to other people.

I work 10 hour days. 9.5 of those hours are handling grueling, inane, obscure, undocumented problems on tight time schedules based on reports that are frequently incomplete or simply wrong. I love those 9.5 hours. They invigorate me. The last 30 minutes of my day I spend summarizing what I did, and usually by the time I'm done I want to put a bullet in my head.

Then how comes the guys over at rust can summarize it so well? Even the under-the-hood-that-no-one-notices stuff ?

Then how comes the guys over at rust can summarize it so well? Even the under-the-hood-that-no-one-notices stuff ?

I don't work on Rust, so don't know anything about their coders, skill sets, preferences, or anything. Just as a guess, maybe they happen to like this sort of thing. The world is made up of all kinds of people.

Actually I do. I'm a custodian at a public school, and am required to write daily reports on maintenance logs, equipment upkeep, and supplies usage.

How hard is it to write a few sentences?

Agreed. Probably just giving community managers something to do I guess, but to the point I definitely like the old style better.

With regards to all this time saving for the developers nonsense, get real folks. I TA for three classes at my college where the students have to do weekly memos for Statecraft (really cool sim for politial science majors), my prof puts a 500 word minimum on them and we get like eight who don't hand them in or are incomplete. It takes them NO MORE than 10-15 tops to get them done (I know this because we have to have a weekly class session in a computer lab so I sit and watch them do it before they leave) and it's the same type of stuff, just parroting back what they did that week. 15minx52wks=13hrs, so assuming it takes them a full 15 mins and they work every week of the year, they lose under 2 work days of productivity. And a lot of this can be done from home so whoop-dee-doo....

No matter what announcement they put out, or information about the game, they claim they aren't accountable or it might not end up as described. That's why they need to spend 10 minutes each writing these devnotes the old way (I don't even want weekly crap notes, I want once in awhile in depth blogs, but good luck with that). It's not daunting when you DONT defend your comments because there is a blanket disclaimer on them all. Don't act so dramatic about how many people are going to view these comments - SQUAD have a huge following of people who want to hear about the game, whether they give good information or not there's going to be crap AND good feedback and they're going to ignore it.

Much more fanboy-esque over the old format. If you feel like it saves you time, just make it more informative please.

So far I can't even comment as to what I'm happy about because, well, I don't know. You didn't tell us :)

Edited by 2001kraft

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.