A Thread for Writers to talk about Writing

Mister Dilsby

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

This could be an easy one. The one faction already has the means to produce low Kerbin orbit (LKO) satellites for proper terrain mapping/surveying. In fact, it would be no stretch of imagination to say that things are in orbit around Kerbin. And if one can send things, then why not Kermen?

Then the second group, the small faction @DeltaDizzy mentions, could be doing just that - taking bits and pieces to construct a LKO craft to put someone in orbit! With the new launch facilities available from the expansion pack, it provides you the perfect "base" to have the other faction transport, assemble, and launch their Kermanned rocket. Could add some neat story elements...

Yes, about that...

I'm one of the "Why should I use MH when mods do it for free and I'm not really interested in missions" people and I don't really have 1.4 and I'm not planning to get it.

1 hour ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Yes, about that...

I'm one of the "Why should I use MH when mods do it for free and I'm not really interested in missions" people and I don't really have 1.4 and I'm not planning to get it.

Then use the mod that gives you launchpads as long as you have the stuff to make parts? It could be fun to turn the island airfield into a makeshift space center until they convince the "other" faction of the value of spaceflight.

And in full disclosure, I did buy the MH DLC just to have more parts and additional launch facilities... ;)

Edited by adsii1970

On 6/25/2018 at 3:49 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Now @Just Jim, IIRC you do have an ending to Emilio in mind, that you’re only kinda-sorta working towards and mostly enjoying the ride along the way, right?

That's about it... I do have an ending in mind, but I'm having too much fun writing, so I keep putting it off... 

Think of it like M*A*S*H... 

The TV series was 11 years long... but the actual Korean conflict was only 3 years.

So... I could finish Emiko in 3 years...... but lets try for 11... hehehe   :D

26 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

That's about it... I do have an ending in mind, but I'm having too much fun writing, so I keep putting it off... 

Think of it like M*A*S*H... 

The TV series was 11 years long... but the actual Korean conflict was only 3 years.

So... I could finish Emiko in 3 years...... but lets try for 11... hehehe   :D

Enjoy the ride and just let the characters tell the story... :D

On 6/26/2018 at 12:14 PM, adsii1970 said:

This could be an easy one. The one faction already has the means to produce low Kerbin orbit (LKO) satellites for proper terrain mapping/surveying. In fact, it would be no stretch of imagination to say that things are in orbit around Kerbin. And if one can send things, then why not Kermen?

When I said "exploration of kerbin", I meant they used more grounded methods, such as aerial surveys, boats, and ground expeditions. Right now, the story isn't necessarily set on Kerbin either. I made up a name for it, but one spaceflight starts happening(think a mid-Gemini level of related activity/flights), I'll rename it to the planet's actual name. As for which planet it is, let me just leave the story title as a hint...

Beyond the Dawn -- From Past the Sun to the Edge of Illusion

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like feedback on The Kerbin Escape, especially now that I've released the first chapter—I want to make sure to work out any problems before advancing to the next chapter. The first priority is  feedback on how well the first chapter is at attracting the attention of the reader, and whether the story is engaging enough to continue reading. Second, I would like thoughts on the characters—are they distinct enough from each other?

One potential problem I have realized with the first chapter is the relatively frequent perspective changes—I'll try and stick to a single character in the next. Another issue I think I should work out is: how much time should I spend on a given image? While the fact that I was getting used to some of the mods may have been a factor, the ~3 hours per image in this chapter does seem like a bit much...

I'd like to start writing KSP stories, but I don't know how to start. Should I start with short stories, or start writing novel and develop it  (as my writing skill increases, hopefully) over time?

Also I'd like to know your creative process when writing novels.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, Raptor42 said:

I'd like to start writing KSP stories, but I don't know how to start. Should I start with short stories, or start writing novel and develop it  (as my writing skill increases, hopefully) over time?

Quick answer: yes.

Two word answer: write anyways.

Longer answer: Short stories and novels are two different beasts. A novel is about twenty times larger, and about four times more work per word. The techniques used in one won't necessarily be well applied in the other. My recommendation is this, if you want to write a novel. Wait till you have some practice. It is difficult and painful to rewrite the beginning when your skill level is different when you are finished. I've got one that I should redo... but I wince a bit at what I've got put down. Start with short stories and... sketches, really is the only word I can think of for it. You can set them in the same 'Verse as the novel. They will let you get the feel of the characters, rules, mechanics, etc. and function as raw writing practice. As you go along make notes, plot points, themes, awesome scenes, noodle incidents, etc. Once you have a solid note book for the novel then start writing it. Sure you could pants it, and it has been done, and done successfully. But, I can only recommend it if you are skilled, lucky, or both (or a publishing mangaka). 
That all being said. In here we've all got a bit of rodeo time under our seats. So you can ask for comments, suggestions, etc. at varying levels of detail on your work.

Also I'd like to know your creative process when writing novels. 

Novels... I aspire to writing a novel length someday. For reference a novel weighs in at at least 40 kilo-words, depending on genre. Though I am working on the sketch for one in [redacted due to content restrictions -ed.]. I hope that it will break 40 kilo-words. My longest, in a different 'Verse, is around 14 kilo-words.

Mostly I start with a scene, trope, music track, elevator pitch, a cool line and work backwards to figure out how they got there. One of my trickier ones is a row of jars filled with beans, labeled with numbers, on the way to Mortimer Kerman's office. If it bigger then about three or four scenes, or is very complex, I'll sketch it out in point form, and write it from there. For much bigger stuff, I'll haul out my preferred writing planning tool, the 3x5 index card *epic fanfare music*. Ah, there are the effects guys, it's been a while. You put one scene with notes on each card. you then lay the cards out in order and "read" the story. Shuffle them around as needed, sometimes a scene works better earlier or later than initially thought, foreshadows things better, or just doesn't work as well as you thought and needs to be cut. Once things are laid out, number the cards, and tie them together. 

Edited by steuben

4 hours ago, steuben said:

Quick answer: yes.

Two word answer: write anyways.

Longer answer: Short stories and novels are two different beasts. A novel is about twenty times larger, and about four times more work per word. The techniques used in one won't necessarily be well applied in the other. My recommendation is this, if you want to write a novel. Wait till you have some practice. It is difficult and painful to rewrite the beginning when your skill level is different when you are finished. I've got one that I should redo... but I wince a bit at what I've got put down. Start with short stories and... sketches, really is the only word I can think of for it. You can set them in the same 'Verse as the novel. They will let you get the feel of the characters, rules, mechanics, etc. and function as raw writing practice. As you go along make notes, plot points, themes, awesome scenes, noodle incidents, etc. Once you have a solid note book for the novel then start writing it. Sure you could pants it, and it has been done, and done successfully. But, I can only recommend it if you are skilled, lucky, or both (or a publishing mangaka). 
That all being said. In here we've all got a bit of rodeo time under our seats. So you can ask for comments, suggestions, etc. at varying levels of detail on your work.

Thanks for recommendations, I already have some foundation for my novel, however I still lack writing skill. Guess I'll start with writing mission report kind of thing with little bit of story added to it. Of course I'll try to develop story of my novel on the way. Already filled 3 pages with ideas, will try filling at least three more. It is really easy to create beginning and ending of story, but very difficult to fill the space inbetween with semi-exciting stuff that doesn't make you throw away the book. Still don't know how proffesional writers do that.

Actually I started realising how difficult is to operate with two languages. I write in Czech, but sometimes English has the perfect sentence that would describe whole situation flawlessly, also sounds are easier to write in English, but I don't have (looks into dictionary) vocabulary covered enough to write only in English *gah* 

• 2 weeks later...

So... Last month I finished A million light-years from home.

This month I started writing another novel called Surviving Duna (inspired by the game surviving mars)

I have to say that I fell that I improved a lot my writing skills.

Now the same as I did with AMLYFH.i wanna know what other people think of how my new novel is.

Basacly I want to to know your opinion

In regards to The Kerbin Escape, I think I've chosen an approach where the preparations leading up to the first launch are covered at the beginning of each chapter. While I feel that it serves as a clean compromise from the two other choices I was thinking about, it seems quite possible that I might still go through four chapters of the fallout from the Secgen's announcement and the decision making afterwards before reaching the launch. Should I try to cut down the amount of chapters to the launch to hopefully retain the people who want to see the launch (being in the mission report section, after all), or just let it progress the way it is currently planned?

7 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

just let it progress the way it is currently planned?

This is what I do. Simply let the story and the characters involved drive the progression. You end up with some really fun plot twists that way. But then again, it is my two cents.

How did everyone approach the various manufacturers and companies that are in-game? It's a rather interesting part of the game, having a fair amount of in-game canon with the manufacturer descriptions and all, but at the same time not particularly concrete.

My take is that it is like things before The Great Videogame Crash Of '83, with my program being one of the eventual survivors. A glorious and exciting time to be a rocketeer. Or for you yungins out there. Like things before the tech crash shortly after the turn of the century. (Dang still feels weird to mean that period 1999-2001 to mean turn of the century.) 

Life At The Top is getting back on track after about 3 months of procrastination and sadness. 3 months, 1 chapter... *sigh*

First off, I'd like to apologize to the readers of LATT. I didn't hold up my end of the bargain, and I know that. I promised chapters over the summer. I failed y'all.

That said, I promise that I'm going to get back on the grind. My fingers may have stopped typing, but my brain never stopped turning. I've written so much ideas, plans, and general nonsense for LATT I can see this going on for years (Wait.... I just... curses.). LATT is going to go on. The story shall never stop. I promise- y'all are going to love it. And if not... Get out

Hope y'all stick around for the ride.

Now for the purpose of this thread:

Does anyone else feel a kind of weird connection to their characters? I don't know why, but in my brief time of writing them, I feel some kind of special feeling with my characters. I've "seen" them grow, mature, and go through success and failure. I've loved them, hated them, and then loved them again. All while stressing myself out to all oblivion. Anyone else get that feeling or am I just a nutcase?

3 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

First off, I'd like to apologize to the readers of LATT. I didn't hold up my end of the bargain, and I know that. I promised chapters over the summer. I failed y'all.

Life happens. And to be honest, you don't owe your readers much beyond what you've already said. Any reader who is following your story should understand that you have a life outside of KSP. I'm averaging a month between chapters - and while it is not ideal, it is what I was able to do over the summer. I am hoping that I can get it to one chapter every two weeks... Ideally, I'd love to be able to write a chapter a week.

3 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Does anyone else feel a kind of weird connection to their characters? I don't know why, but in my brief time of writing them, I feel some kind of special feeling with my characters. I've "seen" them grow, mature, and go through success and failure. I've loved them, hated them, and then loved them again. All while stressing myself out to all oblivion. Anyone else get that feeling or am I just a nutcase?

I do. In fact, not only do I feel "connected" with my main character, Kerny, but there are a few others, such as Doodemon and Hildi who I also feel connected to... So if you're a nutcase, you are in good company!

5 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Ho yeah. I’ve had some of these guys tumbling around my noggin for over three years now. :confused: I know their hearts and minds far better than I can ever express in my writing. For me, the worst is those who are, shall we say, no longer with us. While the others are struggling on toward their own goals, I’m often haunted by the visions of what might have been for those who have moved on, and it can be startlingly emotional. :(

7 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Oh yeah... I absolutely love my characters... :D

On 8/15/2018 at 5:37 AM, DarkOwl57 said:

I get that a lot with my characters...

(No, I don't have a KSP fanfic, even though I have many, many, MANY ideas, but I do write sci-fi stories about penguins every november for NaNoWriMo)

Edited by TeslaPenguin1

I have finally figured out what I can do with poor forgotten Mort for my greenfields series. Now, I need a detail check. In the morning does the wind blow off the sea? It's been a while since I've been near the ocean at the crack of dawn... dang I miss that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.