A Thread for Writers to talk about Writing

Mister Dilsby

11 hours ago, JERONIMO said:

nope :) just making it, praying that my pc will not shut-down and i'll lose all my work :D

I've run into that problem many times before. Want a little suggestion? Try writing the initial drafts in an email. Most email services auto save very often. If your computer dies for some reason, chances are your work will be saved as a draft. Or, you can email yourself a page at a time. Same goes for messaging yourself or someone else on something like the KSP website. Just send a friend a copy of what you write through the messages and it will be saved no matter what.

Let me know if that helps-I had to learn that the hard way.:sticktongue:

3 hours ago, Disparia Books said:

I've run into that problem many times before. Want a little suggestion? Try writing the initial drafts in an email. Most email services auto save very often. If your computer dies for some reason, chances are your work will be saved as a draft. Or, you can email yourself a page at a time. Same goes for messaging yourself or someone else on something like the KSP website. Just send a friend a copy of what you write through the messages and it will be saved no matter what.

Let me know if that helps-I had to learn that the hard way.:sticktongue:

Yeah thanks, had to learn it even a harder way. my pc died and didn't start-up. writing with mobile isn't that comfortable ;.;

4 minutes ago, SiriusRocketry said:

I've started building little people in my mind on the writing forumers based on profile pics and conversation. Weird but satisfying...

That's a really interesting idea... I look forward to reading what you come up with!  :cool:

I made a base today, I have writers block, any ideas that I should try to make true. P.S I haven't really been able to do a space station, I am too dumb to design and launch a rocket of that size. I do however have many rovers that I have.

@JERONIMO, hows chapter 4 coming?

@Just Jim, hows the Duna story coming?

8 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

Right now it's on pause, sorry. I am totally 100% focused on work at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

I have writers block, any ideas that I should try to make true.

Take your time. There were many, many times I needed 2-3 weeks or longer to think through an Emiko chapter before something good popped into my head. 

1 hour ago, Mikenike said:

I made a base today, I have writers block, any ideas that I should try to make true. P.S I haven't really been able to do a space station, I am too dumb to design and launch a rocket of that size. I do however have many rovers that I have.

@JERONIMO, hows chapter 4 coming?

6* i'm working on 6*, it's hard for no reason, but i try. Also the reason that i did not make chapter 6 is that i found a game of my childhood, Toy story 3 - The video game. I remember so many warm moments, mostly because it's hard. So yeah, chapter 6 will come in between 1-3 days.

11 hours ago, Mikenike said:

I have writers block,

I've found that reading/watching/playing something you feel nostalgic towards really gets the brain going. By going back to something you love it not only helps you remember how you felt when you first enjoyed it, but gets your brain juices flowing again. If you're still stuck, try going back to something you haven't touched for a while and see if it doesn't kick-start the creative process. :)

27 minutes ago, Disparia Books said:

I've found that reading/watching/playing something you feel nostalgic towards really gets the brain going. By going back to something you love it not only helps you remember how you felt when you first enjoyed it, but gets your brain juices flowing again. If you're still stuck, try going back to something you haven't touched for a while and see if it doesn't kick-start the creative process. :)

YES!!!!  I could not agree more.

For me it's old, campy sci-fi monster movies I grew up on. There have been many times I got lost in one, and about halfway through I stop paying attention to the movie, and just started day-dreaming... and viola', my next chapter started to work itself out in my head.

2 hours ago, Disparia Books said:

Cannot disagree, re-watched a horrible russian superhero movie with 3/10 on Kinopoisk, but it gave me so much nostalgia, and ideas, and thoughts about why i exist.

At a slight tangent to the last couple of posts, I don't tend to use films, books, music etc as a prompt but I sometimes find them really helpful to set the mood for a scene in my head. As a very old example, the very end of this clip was very much in my head when I wrote the original First Flight short story, and some other bits of that clip  fitted the story too.

But mostly it's that last part. A main character who's been plugging away at his dream of spaceflight for so long that idealism has largely been replaced by 'I'll show them all' bloody-mindedness. Then he finally makes it - and that first sight of his world from space brings the dream crashing back.

Or this section - for which, I am not ashamed to admit, I had the Top Gun anthem rolling around my head - as per this video. :) 

Spoiler

The siren wailed, numbingly loud even through the blockhouse wall. Val rolled off her bunk, grabbed her flight helmet and hit the ground running.

High volume compressors screamed to life, as the pilots sprinted for the hangar. A rapidly building roar joined the scream, both overlaid with a piercing banshee howl. Val burst through the hangar door into a wall of noise. She jammed her flight helmet over her head, glanced at the ominous shape of the Mark 3 fingrillin already slung under her aircraft and reflexively checked the hangar floor for debris. She raced past the starter-jockey sprinting clear of her aircraft, scrambled up the cockpit ladder and flung herself into the ejection seat.

The ground crew hauled the start-cart away. Val plugged in her communication leads, reaching for the canopy lever with her other hand, eyes racing over the instrument panel. The aircraft rumbled under her, like a gronnek straining to be let off its leash.

Hydraulics - check. Breakers - in. Caution panel - clear. MCL - off.

“Vanguard - comm check."

“Copy, Vanguard."

Speed-brake - closed. Flight trim system - check, altimeter - norm.

The flight control surfaces sprang to life; extending and retracting, flexing through their full range of movement. Inside the cockpit, Val's head swivelled back and forth, eyes intent. Satisfied, she pulled out the safety pins on her ejection seat, held them up to the canopy and stowed them.

Flight controls - check. Brakes on. Canopy down and locked. Seat armed. Defog and cabin temp - check

“Vanguard - ready for taxi."

“Chocks clear, Vanguard. Proceed to apron."

At the hangar entrance, an orange-jacketed kerbal lifted two circular paddles over his head and flipped their green surface round to face Val. She eased her throttle forward and released the brakes. The engine pitch rose a notch, deafening in the enclosed space.

“Vanguard is rolling." And the day I need a chaperone to get me out of here without clipping my wings is the day I quit flying.

Four Cloudrunner single-seater jet aircraft emerged from their hangars, waves of shimmering air rolling off their engines, the dawn sun gleaming from their prominent bubble canopies. Originally designed as high speed aerobatic and racing planes, the heavy torpedoes slung under their bellies added an air of menace to their lightly swept wings and gaping nose intakes. One by one, they surged forward onto the taxiway, swung lightly round, then catapulted down the runway, engines howling louder than the alert siren, hardly making it to the halfway marker before leaping nimbly into the air and vanishing into the clouds.

"Vanguard is airborne, four by four. What's the drill, Control?"

"No drill, Vanguard. The Doreni fleet slipped anchor at 06:00 this morning and, until further notice, are to be considered hostile targets. Your orders are to make best speed for Humilisia and provide air support for Commander Gusden."

Edited by KSK

7 hours ago, KSK said:

At a slight tangent to the last couple of posts, I don't tend to use films, books, music etc as a prompt but I sometimes find them really helpful to set the mood for a scene in my head. As a very old example, the very end of this clip was very much in my head when I wrote the original First Flight short story, and some other bits of that clip  fitted the story too.

But mostly it's that last part. A main character who's been plugging away at his dream of spaceflight for so long that idealism has largely been replaced by 'I'll show them all' bloody-mindedness. Then he finally makes it - and that first sight of his world from space brings the dream crashing back.

Or this section - for which, I am not ashamed to admit, I had the Top Gun anthem rolling around my head - as per this video. :) 

Hide contents

The siren wailed, numbingly loud even through the blockhouse wall. Val rolled off her bunk, grabbed her flight helmet and hit the ground running.

High volume compressors screamed to life, as the pilots sprinted for the hangar. A rapidly building roar joined the scream, both overlaid with a piercing banshee howl. Val burst through the hangar door into a wall of noise. She jammed her flight helmet over her head, glanced at the ominous shape of the Mark 3 fingrillin already slung under her aircraft and reflexively checked the hangar floor for debris. She raced past the starter-jockey sprinting clear of her aircraft, scrambled up the cockpit ladder and flung herself into the ejection seat.

The ground crew hauled the start-cart away. Val plugged in her communication leads, reaching for the canopy lever with her other hand, eyes racing over the instrument panel. The aircraft rumbled under her, like a gronnek straining to be let off its leash.

Hydraulics - check. Breakers - in. Caution panel - clear. MCL - off.

“Vanguard - comm check."

“Copy, Vanguard."

Speed-brake - closed. Flight trim system - check, altimeter - norm.

The flight control surfaces sprang to life; extending and retracting, flexing through their full range of movement. Inside the cockpit, Val's head swivelled back and forth, eyes intent. Satisfied, she pulled out the safety pins on her ejection seat, held them up to the canopy and stowed them.

Flight controls - check. Brakes on. Canopy down and locked. Seat armed. Defog and cabin temp - check

“Vanguard - ready for taxi."

“Chocks clear, Vanguard. Proceed to apron."

At the hangar entrance, an orange-jacketed kerbal lifted two circular paddles over his head and flipped their green surface round to face Val. She eased her throttle forward and released the brakes. The engine pitch rose a notch, deafening in the enclosed space.

“Vanguard is rolling." And the day I need a chaperone to get me out of here without clipping my wings is the day I quit flying.

Four Cloudrunner single-seater jet aircraft emerged from their hangars, waves of shimmering air rolling off their engines, the dawn sun gleaming from their prominent bubble canopies. Originally designed as high speed aerobatic and racing planes, the heavy torpedoes slung under their bellies added an air of menace to their lightly swept wings and gaping nose intakes. One by one, they surged forward onto the taxiway, swung lightly round, then catapulted down the runway, engines howling louder than the alert siren, hardly making it to the halfway marker before leaping nimbly into the air and vanishing into the clouds.

"Vanguard is airborne, four by four. What's the drill, Control?"

"No drill, Vanguard. The Doreni fleet slipped anchor at 06:00 this morning and, until further notice, are to be considered hostile targets. Your orders are to make best speed for Humilisia and provide air support for Commander Gusden."

I totally know what you mean! That's funny you mention Top Gun (not just because there's going to be a sequel), but because a song or a moment like that can immediately trigger something in your head and take you where you want to go creatively. And thanks...now that song's going to be stuck in my head all day :/

23 hours ago, KSK said:

Do you feel the need? ;)

Positive, i feel the electromagnetic electricity flowing through my brain and transmitting the things that i want for example a container 250 ml of H=O=H.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:51 PM, Mikenike said:

I made a base today, I have writers block, any ideas that I should try to make true.

Asimov had writer's block once. Angstiest fifteen minutes ever, so the story goes.

But, the things I keep in my pocket for the many times I encounter it.

1. Wander through a large and varied music library. See if there's anything there that invokes a solid image for the 'verse. The Groundbound OST is a fair example though the list is compiled after the fact.

2. Take a character, or vessel, and do a deep dive on them. Their personality, history, follow them through a dull humdrum day out side of the story, or have them do something completely out of character.

3. Kind of mentioned, take apart a book or movie you like. Pay attention to the tropes, the scenes, the words, etc.

4. Rewrite something already written for a different genre. Try and write a TV script, or radio play for something already done.

5. Okay, this one is dangerous. Wander TvTropes. See if anything there sparks something. But be careful, you heard about that guy in South Korea they found dead in an internet cafe? Well it wasn't WoW, Starcraft, or whatever they said it was. It was really TvTropes, but the international writing community hushed it up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.