A Thread for Writers to talk about Writing

Mister Dilsby

Here's one for you-

When writing the name of a ship in italics e.g. Starchaser, if you were referring to something belonging to that ship, like its crew or engines, would you italicise the 's? Is it Starchaser's or Starchaser's, which looks better?

• 4 weeks later...

@Wizard Kerbal

I would recommend to just finish. Just keep adding bits on to whatever you are working on. And it's important to not judge the product until it is completely finished. 

Don't torture yourself over it, and if you feel that you really can't do anything with it, put it on a shelf for a rainy day. Perhaps one day you will recover the motivation to finish it. I know that that has happened to me. Keep all the rough drafts. And don't be afraid to share them or ask people for ideas, be they a forum poster or your family.

And most important: it can only go well if you are having FUN with it.

It might sound odd. But try taking the bus, rather than driving to work... assuming a couple of things of course. I know my motivation and producivity dropped off when I had to start driving in, <Alec Guinness!Obi-wan voice>before the dark times... before the covid</Alec Guinness!Obi-wan voice>. Something about that thirty odd minutes put in the right frame to get something done. 

And to echo what Philae said. Just get it down. Don't worry about getting it right, or it looking good.  Momentum is your friend. 

• 6 months later...

I came across this the other day, and even though the title says it's for screenwriters, I think it applies to any good story telling (and writing) and I thought I would share it here

(I know I'm necro'ing an old thread... So be it, guilty as charged)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.