Kuzzter

A Thread for Writers to talk about Writing

On 1/3/2019 at 12:44 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Some of the crap I remember writing in high school..... [shudders]. But that’s just the learning process, and it’s surprising just how often one can, in fact, polish a literary turd. :D

NOT to be confused with a literal turd.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:42 PM, Just Jim said:

I've thought that about a couple of my earliest Emiko chapters... lol.... :sticktongue:

I get that feeling just from reading chapters from earlier this year! It's amazing what some time and practice will do for you

• Like 3

On 1/3/2019 at 10:37 AM, Just Jim said:

You have to be really, really careful, and take your time to make them feel "real". As far as writing (gathering screenshots doesn't count) I probably spend more time thinking about conversations between characters than any other single thing.

Yes, I find this to be the case with me. Ugh, and when I do type it out, I normally edit it three or four more times before I actually post.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:08 AM, roboslacker said:

On the other hand, if character writing is done badly, you end up with a cringy mess.

Yes, it is easy to do this. There have been a couple of times I have committed the "forum no-no" and actually edited dialogue or even rewrite something which turned out too awkward for me to be comfortable with. Yes, I do keep the gist of the scene (or chapter) in place... But for the most part, you learn by doing. And I am fairly new in this writing process, too. I'd rather try and make a slight mess than to simply not have the gonads to try...

On 1/3/2019 at 10:37 AM, Just Jim said:

You have to be really, really careful, and take your time to make them feel "real". As far as writing (gathering screenshots doesn't count) I probably spend more time thinking about conversations between characters than any other single thing. 

I spend hours rolling conversations around in my head... often when I'm half-watching some old sci-fi or horror classic. And a lot of times i don't even see or hear the movie, and have to rewind it... lol. It's not like "Hearing voices"... but in a way it is. Once you know your characters, and how they're supposed to act, you can sort of let them do the talking... it's hard to describe. But I put them into a situation, and just sort of let them do the rest in my head.

And I'll do this over and over... and over... until it feels "Right".

This and...

5 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Well... another thought and then I'm going to go hide for another 6 months. It's not the emotions of the characters that's important... it's the emotions of the READERS. 

Exactly! Within Kerny's Journal, I have killed off two characters - one was a one-time character who died in a crash caused by Jebediah. But what was great about that chapter isn't the death of Jala Kerman, but how the story evolved and expanded. It allowed me to add elements and depth to some of the characters, for good or bad. Most of the readers were ready to see Jebediah fall for his actions. Then there was Dr. Edmund - his death not only caught the readers off guard, but it had a strong emotional pull on the readers. For many, the entire emotional episode caught them off guard.

In this sense, @Kuzzter is absolutely right. The trick is getting inside each of the characters in a way where they relate to the reader. Kerny, for example, doesn't see himself as anyone special. He is awkward, doesn't quite know how to relate to others, but is willing to try. He can get serious or he can be a prankster - and that's the key is allowing your characters' personality traits help write the story.

5 hours ago, KSK said:

Character emotions are a big part of making them real and believable, which in turn makes the reader feel for (or against) them in those big or small moments.

And as a quick addendum to that thought, the most satisfying moments for me as a writer have been when my readers post a comment and it’s plain that they really got the mood or moment I was trying to convey.

Yup, it's rewarding and terrifying at the same time.

In today's Sunday comics...

This MUST be shared on here. hehehe

C5bihTS.png

• Like 5

Came across this just now, found it rather insightful. 

Spoiler warning if you haven’t finished Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Came across this just now, found it rather insightful. 

This is really good! ;)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

This is really good! ;)

So, are we getting a cameo in Emiko then? :sticktongue:

14 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So, are we getting a cameo in Emiko then? :sticktongue:

hehehe. No. I don't think... I debated this way back when I started the "Emiko on Earth" section, and decided against it.

But I hadn't considered how King brought himself into Dark Tower... and the fact I work for Squad now could add an interesting twist to an already very bizarre paradox... :confused:

What I'm really happy to learn is I've been writing very much the same as King as far as our stories being more situational verses just plot driven. Yes, I have several plots and/or sub-plots going at any given moment. But I love to just throw my poor Kerbals into a one nasty situation after another, and watch them figure their ways out... I picked this up from studying Stan Lee, but I didn't really realize King was also doing this... very cool!  :cool: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Just Jim said:

But I hadn't considered how King brought himself into Dark Tower... and the fact I work for Squad now could add an interesting twist to an already very bizarre paradox... :confused:

C’mon, now you’ve got to do it. :D For the meta-lulz.

• Like 1