Little Green Men From Mars

Probus

I don't want to spoil the fun, but the Martian atmosphere is not reddish. The pictures I have seen show it range from bluish white to brownish yellow, presumably depending on position relative to the sun and the seasonal variation in dust levels. I any case, I don't think it was that red even on those ridiculous old pictures when NASA was applying a red filter to everything to cater to the popular imagination of "the red planet".

Here's some recent orbital pics from ISRO's Mars Orbiter: http://www.isro.gov.in/sites/default/files/article-files/pslv-c25-mars-orbiter-mission/celebrating-one-year-of-mars-orbiter-mission-orbit-release-of-mars/Mars-atlas-MOM.pdf

Here's pictures of Mars taken by Hubble: http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/solar_system/mars/

And here's a ton of ground-level images from Curiosity: http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/images/

I don't want to spoil the fun, but the Martian atmosphere is not reddish. The pictures I have seen show it range from bluish white to brownish yellow, presumably depending on position relative to the sun and the seasonal variation in dust levels. I any case, I don't think it was that red even on those ridiculous old pictures when NASA was applying a red filter to everything to cater to the popular imagination of "the red planet".

Here's some recent orbital pics from ISRO's Mars Orbiter: http://www.isro.gov.in/sites/default/files/article-files/pslv-c25-mars-orbiter-mission/celebrating-one-year-of-mars-orbiter-mission-orbit-release-of-mars/Mars-atlas-MOM.pdf

Here's pictures of Mars taken by Hubble: http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/solar_system/mars/

And here's a ton of ground-level images from Curiosity: http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/images/

It's worth noting that a LOT of these pics are white-balanced to Earth atmosphere colors so the Aresology is better visually compared to Earth geology.

And I did mention this fact to Probus, telling him that if he wanted to change the color, all he'd need to do is modify the rim color. In fact I think I might experiment with some possibilities.

Are Hubble pics white-balanced?

http://www.redorbit.com/media/uploads/2005/10/4986bbeb5a541b9a59f6d5d09e290340.jpg

Or ground telescopes?

http://www.damianpeach.com/mars1112.htm

Sure, there is variation due to innumerable variables, but I have never seen a non-altered picture of Mars where the atmosphere was redder than the surface.

edit: Great job on making it less shiny though, that is a major improvement.

Edited by Hattivat

Are Hubble pics white-balanced?

http://www.redorbit.com/media/uploads/2005/10/4986bbeb5a541b9a59f6d5d09e290340.jpg

Or ground telescopes?

http://www.damianpeach.com/mars1112.htm

Sure, there is variation due to innumerable variables, but I have never seen a non-altered picture of Mars where the atmosphere was redder than the surface.

edit: Great job on making it less shiny though, that is a major improvement.

At this point, the rim color is in fact blue, I'm now trying to get KSP's ground atmospheramabobbers to work right.

Also,

We should go for a more foreboding, alien color. In general, the novelty of LGMFM is about a totally new experience.

So while I am not in total agreement, I'm not the lead dev. I'm trying a few different things. I'm getting a neat yellow color right now, which might be worth keeping.

Here's the version that I have right now. From space, I'm keeping the bluish tint, but from the surface it is this color.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Please ignore the pink KSC terrain. Not sure why, but it's not working entirely correctly.

Edited by GregroxMun

edit: The first two pictures look quite good!

old post, I missed the update:

Well, that KSC terrain certainly has a foreboding, alien colour :D

And as for the Martian sky, this is obviously a conscientious topic, and I am not going to pretend that I am an expert who knows exactly what the "correct" true colour for it is. All I know from looking at hundreds of pictures is that it is definitely less red and generally less vividly coloured than the surface, so that is what I would personally stick to. If "being alien" is the aim, then perhaps this sort of pinkish brown would work? http://mars.nasa.gov/msl/images/Curiosity-Rover-Portrait-Mars-Mojave-Selfie-pia19142-MALHI-full.jpg

Edited by Hattivat

Well, I just went and saw the The Martian hoping to get some clues as to the atmosphere coloring. It really wasn't much of a help as they were tinting earth's atmosphere. I will put up a poll and see what the players would like and we will try to accommodate. I am partial to the RSS coloring but I'm not married to it.

Not too sure what the problem is, but I'm guessing it's with this mod and the relocation of the KSC. Just tried using this with a new save, and I'm unable to fly any of my ships as I'm using RemoteTech and none of them can get a signal. I've got one on the pad right now with two different omni's, both already on and with a range long enough to reach orbit.. and neither is getting a signal while sitting on the pad at KSC. This is sort of a problem unfortunately, as I'm using the tech tree RSS recommends as well.. which starts you off with only probes. Anyone have any ideas as to what I might try? Rather not ditch RemoteTech, as I'm having fun setting up comm relays and the like.

Edit: Luckily the engineers at KSC devised a solution. By traveling back in time a few minutes, they were able to reach the moment just before the universe sprang into existence and alter it's settings so that they would already possess certain scientific knowledge upon creation. Then, using that knowledge they were able to invent manned aircraft immediately and were able to convert an old flight simulator cockpit into a ground based solar powered comms center which Bill is now permanently assigned to operate. There are plans to expand the facility as needs demand, but it is thought that Bill will be sufficient for the entire planet's communications needs.

Double Edit: Oddly.. that didn't work. Now I'm thoroughly confused. I've got a manned craft with both omni and directional antennae, both activated. The directional one is pointed at the craft on the pad. My probe on the pad has both types as well for testing purposes. Both are set to be deployed already by default.. and neither is picking up a signal? I've had zero problems with RemoteTech so far in the "regular" game.. so I've no idea what's going on.

Ah.. figured it out. Playing with RSS and RemoteTech requires a KSC Ground Stations compatibility mod which doesn't seem to exist anymore. It looks like the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg file can be modified to change the location of mission control's antenna, but I'm not sure what the latitude, longitude, and height of the new KSC is on Mars. Still not sure why my prior solution didn't work either though. That should have X_X

Used ScanSat to discover KSC's location data and modified that file. (22.1 , -129.8) is the Lat/Long, altitude (height) is 3500. Looks to be working for me now. Further science will be required to test this newfangled radio technology. Guess Bill's off the hook. This time.

Edited by Enorats

Not too sure what the problem is, but I'm guessing it's with this mod and the relocation of the KSC. Just tried using this with a new save, and I'm unable to fly any of my ships as I'm using RemoteTech and none of them can get a signal. I've got one on the pad right now with two different omni's, both already on and with a range long enough to reach orbit.. and neither is getting a signal while sitting on the pad at KSC. This is sort of a problem unfortunately, as I'm using the tech tree RSS recommends as well.. which starts you off with only probes. Anyone have any ideas as to what I might try? Rather not ditch RemoteTech, as I'm having fun setting up comm relays and the like.

Edit: Luckily the engineers at KSC devised a solution. By traveling back in time a few minutes, they were able to reach the moment just before the universe sprang into existence and alter it's settings so that they would already possess certain scientific knowledge upon creation. Then, using that knowledge they were able to invent manned aircraft immediately and were able to convert an old flight simulator cockpit into a ground based solar powered comms center which Bill is now permanently assigned to operate. There are plans to expand the facility as needs demand, but it is thought that Bill will be sufficient for the entire planet's communications needs.

Double Edit: Oddly.. that didn't work. Now I'm thoroughly confused. I've got a manned craft with both omni and directional antennae, both activated. The directional one is pointed at the craft on the pad. My probe on the pad has both types as well for testing purposes. Both are set to be deployed already by default.. and neither is picking up a signal? I've had zero problems with RemoteTech so far in the "regular" game.. so I've no idea what's going on.

Ah.. figured it out. Playing with RSS and RemoteTech requires a KSC Ground Stations compatibility mod which doesn't seem to exist anymore. It looks like the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg file can be modified to change the location of mission control's antenna, but I'm not sure what the latitude, longitude, and height of the new KSC is on Mars. Still not sure why my prior solution didn't work either though. That should have X_X

Used ScanSat to discover KSC's location data and modified that file. (22.1 , -129.8) is the Lat/Long, altitude (height) is 3500. Looks to be working for me now. Further science will be required to test this newfangled radio technology. Guess Bill's off the hook. This time.

I am glad you got it figured out Enorats. Yes you are correct, Remote Tech should not work without a bit of shuffling of ground stations. It would be great if someone would like to make up a cfg file for me with some coolio launch sites and extra ground stations (hint, hint). I will try to put your Lat/Long settings in the LGMFM setup files to make it more compatible with RemoteTech. Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, wow. I love this.

To confirm: The atmosphere and terrain is all straight-up Mars, right? I'm tempted to use this as a testbed for my next 1.1 martian base program; it'd sure be nice to test landing & rover systems without that pesky interplanetary travel part. ;)

Oh, wow. I love this.

To confirm: The atmosphere and terrain is all straight-up Mars, right? I'm tempted to use this as a testbed for my next 1.1 martian base program; it'd sure be nice to test landing & rover systems without that pesky interplanetary travel part. ;)

That would be awesome! That is one of the reasons we made it.

Oh, wow. I love this.

I think there's some height noise stuff from Kerbin, but other than that the Mars map and atmosphere should be the same as real Mars.

Excellent. I shall be slapping boosters onto rovers to test their parachute systems in no time!

Just out of interest, just how hilariously does this thing break save games that were running prior to the mod being installed? I get the ever so subtle feeling this is the kind of mod that demands a standalone install. ;)

Excellent. I shall be slapping boosters onto rovers to test their parachute systems in no time!

Just out of interest, just how hilariously does this thing break save games that were running prior to the mod being installed? I get the ever so subtle feeling this is the kind of mod that demands a standalone install. ;)

I think you would unleash the Kraken.

• 3 weeks later...