[WIP, 1.0.5] Stock Replacement Assets 0.4 [25 Feb]

hoojiwana

Loving that mockup, the blacks being more grey works really well. I'm a little worried about door placement - I wonder if it'd be better to keep in on the other side of the capsule as in stock (though still centered if you wish) as it won't make sense with the stock IVA (or some of the brilliant modded ones) if on the same side as the windows.

On 17/01/2016 at 10:06 PM, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

the stock heatshields are relatively new and thus some of the better looking parts in the game

True, but something's always bugged me about their fairings.

Jz7tGPZ.pngdl5H4pj.png

On 16/01/2016 at 8:10 PM, Captain Sierra said:

Ignoring the critics, I love it. Finally some good sharp contrast in the rocket parts to match the slick black trim of Mk2. Please continue.

That's exactly what I was going for! :D

On 16/01/2016 at 9:52 PM, GregroxMun said:

Now I can see the door better, I'm more neutral and less negative about the door's texture, however it occurs to me that the hatch does not look big enough to fit a Kerbal inside. (Not with his helmet, anyway) But to be fair, the stock Mk1-2 also has this hatch size issue. :P

I actually went and checked the hatch size against others already in KSP, you can't fit a Kerbals helmet through most of them.

On 17/01/2016 at 10:06 PM, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

THANK YOU.

It's looking good, love the black details. A little unsure on the door/ladders, if it were me I would skip the built in handholds and make the door texture a flush version of the hitchhiker/landercan/etc. hatch, it will match other mods and the rest of the parts better.  I never really find myself wishing for handholds above the hatch.

Don't worry about hatch size, they never look big enough.

As far as other parts, the stock heatshields are relatively new and thus some of the better looking parts in the game. I think some of the older parts (you mention the decouplers and I agree) could benefit more from attention.

There are a few hatch types in KSP; there's the Mk1 Pod hatch, the Mk 1-2 Pod hatch, the lander can-style hatch (that's on a number of parts), the aircraft hatch (Mk1+Mk2 cockpits) and the Mk3 hatch. I'll be making a more generic hatch for the lander cans and station parts since those are all cylindrical. The Mk 1-2 is a tapered cylinder so the hatch ends up being a squashed shape so I already have to make a different type of hatch for it, so I went with something a little different and stuck that D shape on it.

The handholds don't stand out too badly and the ladder has to run the full length of the pod anyway.

I'll be redoing the heatshields since the stock ones (at least for Size1 and Size2) clip through the redone pods and need to be moved with the offset widget to look good. They're also wider than the standard diameter so they stick out. You can see both of these problems on the Mk1 Pod in @GregroxMuns post here, it's even worse on the Mk 1-2 Pod.

11 hours ago, SufficientAnonymity said:

Loving that mockup, the blacks being more grey works really well. I'm a little worried about door placement - I wonder if it'd be better to keep in on the other side of the capsule as in stock (though still centered if you wish) as it won't make sense with the stock IVA (or some of the brilliant modded ones) if on the same side as the windows.

True, but something's always bugged me about their fairings.

I moved it to line up with literally every other hatch on the non-aircraft crewed parts, its the biggest problem on the pod.

16 hours ago, hoojiwana said:

I'll be redoing the heatshields since the stock ones (at least for Size1 and Size2) clip through the redone pods and need to be moved with the offset widget to look good.

True, that alone is reason enough. Plus, as @SufficientAnonymity says, the fairings are funky. 

Window emissives look good! that craft is adorable, reminds me of a baby seal.:D

It occurs to me that there are no .625m heatshields anywhere. Their usefulness is debatable, but such a part might not be out of place in RLA if you're in the heatshield mood. 

10 hours ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

True, that alone is reason enough. Plus, as @SufficientAnonymity says, the fairings are funky. 

Window emissives look good! that craft is adorable, reminds me of a baby seal.:D

It occurs to me that there are no .625m heatshields anywhere. Their usefulness is debatable, but such a part might not be out of place in RLA if you're in the heatshield mood. 

Ven Stock Revamp has a 0.625m heatshield, and I'd say I love the look of a lot of his parts post 1.9.

7ecNQHl.jpg

It's update time! As usual for my stuff, check the OP for actual download links, KerbalStuff and Curseforge downloads coming shortly.

0.2 Changelog:

Spoiler
  • Updated ModuleManager version to 2.6.18
  • Added Mk1-2 Pod replacement
  • Added Aerodynamic Nose Cone (1.25m) replacement
  • Added Heat Shield (1.25m) replacement
  • Added Heat Shield (2.5m) replacement
  • Added Heat Shield (3.75m) replacement
  • Tweaked Mk1 Pod texture
  • Tweaked Mk1 Pod emissive texture
  • Tweaked Mk16 Parachute (0.625m) model

4 minutes ago, hoojiwana said:

It's update time! As usual for my stuff, check the OP for actual download links, KerbalStuff and Curseforge downloads coming shortly.

0.2 Changelog:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Updated ModuleManager version to 2.6.18
  • Added Mk1-2 Pod replacement
  • Added Aerodynamic Nose Cone (1.25m) replacement
  • Added Heat Shield (1.25m) replacement
  • Added Heat Shield (2.5m) replacement
  • Added Heat Shield (3.75m) replacement
  • Tweaked Mk1 Pod texture
  • Tweaked Mk1 Pod emissive texture
  • Tweaked Mk16 Parachute (0.625m) model

Yay! Must try now.

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

Awesome! Can't wait for the Poodle, and I mean that only half figuratively. The Poodle is the worst engine in the game from a visual point of view, but a really useful engine from a gameplay point of view. Another terrible part is the Rockomax Brand Decoupler.

Will you be doing an IVAs? Some of the IVAs look OK, but the Mk1-2 pod's IVA in stock still sucks (it was made by C7 as a placeholder back in 0.17 if I'm not mistaken)

*another really useful engine

Edited by GregroxMun

Great mod!
I really like the design of Mk1-2 capsule, although hatch placement contradicts RPM IVA props. Sharp edge at the bottom may be questionable, can break stuff and does not look very capsule-ish :) Stock capsule could fit well with some 1.25m parts attached below. Maybe this capsule could use a bottom shroud.

Regarding Heat Shields: IMHO, shape change is too invasive. They are too and slim and shallow, barely cover anything and too detached. Stock shroud sucks and deserves to be replaced with something much more streamlined, but stock shields are perfectly OK and other stuff is made to fit with their shape.

W6OGnY5.png

Edited by Psycho_zs

On 23/01/2016 at 11:03 PM, GregroxMun said:

Awesome! Can't wait for the Poodle, and I mean that only half figuratively. The Poodle is the worst engine in the game from a visual point of view, but a really useful engine from a gameplay point of view. Another terrible part is the Rockomax Brand Decoupler.

Will you be doing an IVAs?

I'm a bit hesitant to work on engines, I'm working on the assumption that Porkjet is going to be doing those first for stock since they arguably need the most attention. That's why I stopped doing things from the start of the tree and am now doing command pods and such. I may still do some of those engines I dislike the most, the Poodle and Nerv I don't particularly like having to look at. The stack decouplers will be in the next version.

I'm not planning to do IVAs right now. I don't use IVA myself very much, individually they take a long time to do and with 1.1 part tools the workflow will change for them.

1 hour ago, Psycho_zs said:

Great mod!
I really like the design of Mk1-2 capsule, although hatch placement contradicts RPM IVA props. Sharp edge at the bottom may be questionable, can break stuff and does not look very capsule-ish :) Stock capsule could fit well with some 1.25m parts attached below. Maybe this capsule could use a bottom shroud.

Regarding Heat Shields: IMHO, shape change is too invasive. They are too and slim and shallow, barely cover anything and too detached. Stock shroud sucks and deserves to be replaced with something much more streamlined, but stock shields are perfectly OK and other stuff is made to fit with their shape.

Thanks!

I'm not going to be moving the hatch back, it made no sense where it was before. The sharp edge was something I was going back and forth on, but I stuck with it because now the pod doesn't look out of place when it's attached to anything other than a heat shield. The texture on the underside was made with 1.25m attachments in mind, but the triangle pattern may make it look too much like it shouldn't be exposed to space. The Mk2 Lander Can I'm working on has the same sort of issue so I may tone down that underside texture somewhat.

The heat shield shape for the 1.25m and 2.5m looks like it was made specifically to fit the shapes of the Mk1 and Mk1-2 pods. They have sunken attach nodes on the top which means they clip through practically anything else you want to attach to them that isn't oddly shaped, including service bays, fuel tanks, whatever else a player might want to protect on whatever crazy design they have. They were also slightly oversized to be able to fit the shoulder of the heatshield over the rim of the pods, perfectly fine from a realism point of view but it was ugly and didn't fit the standard diameter of other parts. That's why I changed the shape, to better fit the standard diameters and the flat ends of the vast majority of parts. I do agree they may be too slim, though that's a side effect of the shoulder being lopped in half.

Other parts need to be made to fit the shape of the stock shields because the stock shields are made to fit an odd shape. It's not a great situation, but it comes down to the Mk1 and Mk1-2 pod models being old, odd and not very well made. All the other problems stem from working around that.

14 hours ago, hoojiwana said:

The heat shield shape for the 1.25m and 2.5m looks like it was made specifically to fit the shapes of the Mk1 and Mk1-2 pods. They have sunken attach nodes on the top which means they clip through practically anything else you want to attach to them that isn't oddly shaped, including service bays, fuel tanks, whatever else a player might want to protect on whatever crazy design they have. They were also slightly oversized to be able to fit the shoulder of the heatshield over the rim of the pods, perfectly fine from a realism point of view but it was ugly and didn't fit the standard diameter of other parts. That's why I changed the shape, to better fit the standard diameters and the flat ends of the vast majority of parts. I do agree they may be too slim, though that's a side effect of the shoulder being lopped in half.

Other parts need to be made to fit the shape of the stock shields because the stock shields are made to fit an odd shape. It's not a great situation, but it comes down to the Mk1 and Mk1-2 pod models being old, odd and not very well made. All the other problems stem from working around that.

I have an idea about heat shields... This shape could fit a lot of parts thanks to conical upper skirt. It would fit with capsules, it could properly cover bases of cylindrical parts (with their protruding handles like on storage can). It allows some margin of error, both in vertical placement and in part diameter.

ry9i9VW.png

16 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

I have an idea about heat shields... This shape could fit a lot of parts thanks to conical upper skirt. It would fit with capsules, it could properly cover bases of cylindrical parts (with their protruding handles like on storage can). It allows some margin of error, both in vertical placement and in part diameter.

That's a good idea, I won't make such a change just yet since I prefer the completely smooth look rather than having that lip stick out from the stack where every heat shield is. I might try increasing the depth the shoulder on the current heat shield models to make that thin edge look a bit chunkier.

In other news:

qBRm4nP.png

I'll nag a bit, sorry. :sticktongue:

IMHO, Lander Cans are intended to be ugly, bulky, but lightweight contraptions. The fact that they do not fit well into stack presents a fun challenge. Also please do not forget that they do not have a bottom hatch by design as indicated by both part model an IVA model.

Pretty nice textures, though! Hatch area could be stretched sideways a bit.

This is pretty awsome!

Fits really nice, I hope it gets obsolete because squad will implement it.

Right now in 1.0.5 of ksp you can really see the differences between all the parts ... they're not really matching. You have some old parts wich don't really fit the design of the "new" design of the spaceplane and plane parts. Some got cabin lights others don't, some are black and white, some are awfully colored. even the different fuselages for planes don't match in color.

Hopfully all of that gets a uniformed look.

The thing that bothers me the most are the engine shrouds. I mainly use the part packs NecroBones made because they're pretty stock-alike, but the old engineshrouds are just ugly and dont really fit, and I haven't found any mod wich deals with them exept vens revamp. But His revamp is a completly different style. (Don't get me wrong I only mean the shrouds of stock engines! Necrobones new engines have nice looking shrouds, but it seems nobody deals with the stock engines. Idk if its just not possible or noone thought of that)

I hope your pack will keep its stock look and make things look like they actually fit together. Mainly the engine shrouds, please if you can make them fit the colors of the rest of the parts.

Also the Mainsall and its smaller brother ... that red just doesn't fit anymore.

So those are my thoughts about the style of ksp. I really love that black and white "contrasty look", the orange on the hatches is just lovely.

I'll download now and have a closer look at it. have some rep

Edit: CKAN??

The pod does really fit for planes too:

6M0eHPN.png

Edited by maculator

10 hours ago, hoojiwana said:

That's a good idea, I won't make such a change just yet since I prefer the completely smooth look rather than having that lip stick out from the stack where every heat shield is. I might try increasing the depth the shoulder on the current heat shield models to make that thin edge look a bit chunkier.

In other news:

qBRm4nP.png

*whistles approvingly*

13 hours ago, hoojiwana said:

In other news:

qBRm4nP.png

Yes. Just. Yes. :D

On 1/29/2016 at 11:15 PM, hoojiwana said:

In other news:

qBRm4nP.png

Keep going! Keep going and never stop! I LOVE IT!!

I like the small lander-can. but I think the bigger one needs something to break up the cylindrical form. TBH I liked how the hitchhiker and landercan go together to make the stock station core, with the slight variation in diameters. Doesn't help other projects much, where you might want a neat stacking 2 seater crew module, but maybe that should be a separate part. 

Q5p4YEg.jpg

New version! KerbalStuff and CurseForge coming soonTM now.

0.3 Changelog:

Spoiler

Added compatibility with Vens Stock Revamp. Parts in this pack will overwrite their counterparts in Vens, including any additional functionality such as pod RCS, SRB gimbal etc, reverting the parts to the same functionality as stock.
Added Mk1 Lander Can replacement
Added Mk2 Lander Can replacement
Added TR-2V Stack Decoupler (Size 0) replacement
Added TR-18A Stack Decoupler (Size 1) replacement
Added Rockomax Brand Decoupler (Size 2) replacement
Added TR-2C Stack Separator (Size 0) replacement
Added TR-18D Stack Separator (Size 1) replacement
Added TR-XL Stack Separator (Size 2) replacement
Tweaked all Heat Shield models

Looking for specific feedback on the new thumbnails (is it clear what they mean, any odd bugs with the parts). If you use Vens and this pack simultaneously and notice any weirdness with the parts, let me know so I can fix my MM patches, thanks!

On 29/01/2016 at 7:20 AM, Psycho_zs said:

I'll nag a bit, sorry. :sticktongue:

IMHO, Lander Cans are intended to be ugly, bulky, but lightweight contraptions. The fact that they do not fit well into stack presents a fun challenge.

On 31/01/2016 at 9:13 AM, Gryphorim said:

I like the small lander-can. but I think the bigger one needs something to break up the cylindrical form. TBH I liked how the hitchhiker and landercan go together to make the stock station core, with the slight variation in diameters. Doesn't help other projects much, where you might want a neat stacking 2 seater crew module, but maybe that should be a separate part. 

You're more than welcome to nag! :P I made the Mk2 can a flat cylinder because players (and that stock craft) use it for more than just landers, both cans also have non-functional hatches on the top and bottom for the same reason. I was also aiming for low memory usage so they're both on one shared texture rather than one each, if I wasn't going for that goal then I would've been less conservative with the models. Due to the way this mod works (it leaves the stock textures in place), I have to squeeze things into fewer pixels.

On 29/01/2016 at 10:05 AM, maculator said:

This is pretty awsome!

Right now in 1.0.5 of ksp you can really see the differences between all the parts ... they're not really matching. You have some old parts wich don't really fit the design of the "new" design of the spaceplane and plane parts.

Edit: CKAN??

Thanks! You hit the nail on the head for why I'm using this specific style for the parts. People like to use aircraft parts for rockets and rocket parts for aircraft, so they should look like they go together. CKAN availability is a CKAN thing.

On 29/01/2016 at 4:27 PM, nothingSpecial said:

I just wanted to say that you made a really astounishing effort. Good job!

On 29/01/2016 at 3:10 PM, GregroxMun said:

*whistles approvingly*

On 29/01/2016 at 5:30 PM, SmashingKirby148 said:

Yes. Just. Yes. :D

On 31/01/2016 at 1:53 AM, Spaceman510 said:

Keep going! Keep going and never stop! I LOVE IT!!

Thanks guys! Hopefully I can keep up the quality on future parts, I've had a really nice idea for the ion engine that I'll be doing next. That said I'm not terribly happy with the new Size 2 decoupler, I might change it in future to be completely flat and without the indented parts. Let me know what you all think of the shape of it right now.

On 03/02/2016 at 1:43 AM, Third_OfFive said:

Nice job! I especially love the 0.625m parachute. That should be stock.

It is stock, in a manner of speaking. :sticktongue:

9 hours ago, maculator said:

Your link on Kerbalstuff points nowhere :(

Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by hoojiwana

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.