[WIP, 1.0.5] Stock Replacement Assets 0.4 [25 Feb]

hoojiwana

vStQbVh.jpg

Another update! This will be the last one for a little while, real life needs attending to and I've had some terrible ideas for new parts I want to play around with. Not sure if that'll ever come to light as a mod but you never know.

0.4 Changelog

Spoiler
  • Tweaked all thumbnail-only models, they should look tidier
  • Added Oxidizer fuel gauge to the staging menu for the Rapier (in rocket mode)
  • Changed names of transforms on the Rapier to match stock (smokepoint to smokePoint, thanks @Skalou)
  • Added IX-6315 "Dawn" ion engine replacement
  • Added PB-X150 Xenon Container (Size 0) replacement
  • Added PB-X750 Xenon Container (Size 1) replacement
  • Added PB-X50R Xenon Container (Radial) replacement

On 19/02/2016 at 10:03 PM, Han_Hecking_Solo said:

Hey Hoojiwana! Great mod. I have two questions about it.

1. Are changes to style here going to be applied to RLA stockalike?

2. When are you going to be changing the Kerbodyne fuel tanks? I really dislike the barrel look in stock.

Thanks in advance, keep it up!

Thanks! RLA Stockalike is made to fit the existing stock art style, when that changes I will update it. Not sure when I'll do the Kerbodyne parts (including the 3.75m decoupler), I'm not particularly following any order in doing the parts. Only reason I did the ion this time around was because I had a nice idea for the emissive glow, and I like electric engines in general.

On 22/02/2016 at 4:22 AM, Nothalogh said:

Oh god, the Mk 1-2 pod is so glorious. But it makes the Hitchhiker look like a trashcan in comparison.

Please do the Hitchhiker as well.

Thankyou, not sure when the Hitchhiker will be done, it'll probably be done alongside the lab and the cupola since I consider them all to be station-type parts.

17 hours ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

Lol I still do this. Rotate around vertex... :D

Ion looks good, but I would urge you to bring back the yellow, and make the wires either the traditional red/black or stock red/blue. It's no good redoing the stock parts if you then have to redo all your mod parts too to match them. 

Edit: it occurs to me that what I thought was a grey wire is actually the neutralizer feed, and you might well have a red one hidden away somewhere.

I did try some yellow, but it didn't fit in any of the colour palette I played about with. The Dawn is the only electric engine in stock, and the only engine from ISPE (the in-game manufacturer), so there's not really any other parts to set a scheme to run along with that wasn't the exact same one in stock, and that's a little bit too garish for a "Porkalike" style. I did however make the xenon tanks follow the dark grey and yellow scheme, with the tanks being dark to better stand out from the light metal truss, and the yellow paint band to make them distinct from Ore tanks. I may revisit Dawn in future if I change my mind on it, so don't consider it set in stone. :wink:

5 minutes ago, hoojiwana said:

I had a nice idea for the emissive glow, and I like electric engines in general.

Thankyou, not sure when the Hitchhiker will be done, it'll probably be done alongside the lab and the cupola since I consider them all to be station-type parts.

I did try some yellow, but it didn't fit in any of the colour palette I played about with. The Dawn is the only electric engine in stock, and the only engine from ISPE (the in-game manufacturer), so there's not really any other parts to set a scheme to run along with that wasn't the exact same one in stock, and that's a little bit too garish for a "Porkalike" style. I did however make the xenon tanks follow the dark grey and yellow scheme, with the tanks being dark to better stand out from the light metal truss, and the yellow paint band to make them distinct from Ore tanks. I may revisit Dawn in future if I change my mind on it, so don't consider it set in stone. :wink:

You sure did, that looks great! Especially how you lit up the neutralizer. Having seen it, I have one other suggestion, and I might even do it for you if I have time; an MM config to prevent Near Future from overwriting the ion FX if installed, since it will still think it is the old one and give it donut-shaped particles. 

14 minutes ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

You sure did, that looks great! Especially how you lit up the neutralizer. Having seen it, I have one other suggestion, and I might even do it for you if I have time; an MM config to prevent Near Future from overwriting the ion FX if installed, since it will still think it is the old one and give it donut-shaped particles. 

I just knew I forgot something when I was writing patches earlier today. :blush: It'll have to wait to be included for the main download though, unless there's some other broken stuff that needs fixing.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@hoojiwana was there ever a decision on the color scheme for electrical propulsion parts? It has suddenly become a topic of interest for one of my projects. :)

Not really, the palette for the ion is fairly similar to that of the jet engines in stock. In general though take a look at Near Future for some inspiration, lots of exposed copper here and there. Depends a fair bit on the other goals of your project, shoot me a PM (unless you've got a thread already for it) if you want to chat more since it's not really on-topic here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2016 at 10:41 PM, sharpspoonful said:

So, I'm getting texture fighting for some reason.

That's not texture fighting, the old models seem to be still there when the MM patch should be removing them. Do you have any other mods that would alter the stock models at all? There may be an incompatibility popping up there.

On 12/04/2016 at 8:54 AM, stelith said:

I'm just not seeing the replacements at all.

17 hours ago, stelith said:

Yes, but I am using the 1.1 pre, which I figure is the problem.

If you're using the pre-release get the latest version of ModuleManager (2.6.21 at time of writing) from this thread, the version shipped with the mod itself (2.6.18) doesn't work with the pre-release.

3 hours ago, Billy_Is_Dead said:

@hoojiwana The mod works in 1.1, and for some reason it looks WAY better than the 1.0.5 version for me! You are a great modeler, can't wait until the next update.

Well it's not perfect, the Rapier gimbal doesn't work in the yaw axis, the IVA overlays show how much the IVAs don't fit and there may be some other wonky things I haven't spotted yet. I will not be releasing any updated version until 1.1 is out of pre-release though, so don't rely on that engine for yaw control until then. :P No idea why it would look better than the 1.0.5 version, can you give details?

35 minutes ago, hoojiwana said:

That's not texture fighting, the old models seem to be still there when the MM patch should be removing them. Do you have any other mods that would alter the stock models at all? There may be an incompatibility popping up there.

If you're using the pre-release get the latest version of ModuleManager (2.6.21 at time of writing) from this thread, the version shipped with the mod itself (2.6.18) doesn't work with the pre-release.

Well it's not perfect, the Rapier gimbal doesn't work in the yaw axis, the IVA overlays show how much the IVAs don't fit and there may be some other wonky things I haven't spotted yet. I will not be releasing any updated version until 1.1 is out of pre-release though, so don't rely on that engine for yaw control until then. :P No idea why it would look better than the 1.0.5 version, can you give details?

They switched to Unity 5.0 shaders in 1.1, and for me I noticed a huge difference in all parts with stuff being brighter and contrast seeming a bit higher. This mod is seriously amazing and I can't wait for more parts to be added!

On 4/13/2016 at 3:57 PM, hoojiwana said:

That's not texture fighting, the old models seem to be still there when the MM patch should be removing them. Do you have any other mods that would alter the stock models at all? There may be an incompatibility popping up there?

Should only be Ven's, and in 1.0.5.

Edited by sharpspoonful

Hey hooj are you still busy like you said after the ion update? I found myself taking a good look at the stock launch escape tower and realizing how ugly it is, I just wish it had a black tip like your version of the 1.25m nosecone. Or if you want to try a different style the Orion LES looks slick and modern and would fit at least the spirit of the part (it was introduced in the ARM update IIRC, intended for SLS recreation despite being modeled after Apollo's tower)

On 4/12/2016 at 10:06 PM, Billy_Is_Dead said:

@hoojiwana The mod works in 1.1, and for some reason it looks WAY better than the 1.0.5 version for me! You are a great modeler, can't wait until the next update.

Wait, what? Works in 1.1? Nice, will download and see. If it does also work for me then it seems I'll be changing my mod lineup a bit. I like consistency in the parts I use as far as models/textures go (yeah, yeah, OCD) so I'll be adding RLA Stockalike back to the lineup.

@hoojiwana Keep up the good work!

Oh, I also can't stand how the stock Mk. 1-2 Pod works, been using Ven's Stock Part Revamp because I didn't know you had this cool mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.