What brand of GPU do you use to play KSP?

Red Iron Crown

What brand of GPU do you use most often to play KSP?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. What brand of GPU do you use most often to play KSP?

• AMD
    • Intel
    • NVidia
    • Other

I recently made an offhand remark that nVidia users are a minority of the KSP playerbase, assuming that Intel+AMD+Others are more than 50%. A couple of the other moderators called me on the assumption and asked me to provide real data. So here is a totally statistically significant poll to see just what everyone is using.

Please answer with the GPU brand used in your machine that you most often use to play KSP. If it is has more than one GPU brand (like some laptops with Intel+discrete GPU), please vote for the one used when playing KSP most often.

Proactive edit: Please do not turn this into a fanboy flamewar about which brand is better. Each of them can be good choices at different points of the price/performance curve, let's leave it at that.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

I think you are going to lose that battle.

Even though I don't use Nvidia they do own the lions share of the market.

There used to be an old rule (it had to do with mother boards and south bridge issues)

Basically if you used AMD you put in an ATI video card and if you where using an Intel you used Nvidia.

So as most gamers where/are power hungry, they went for the INTEL CPU and as such Nvidia.

For those of us on a budget we went to AMD and ATI.

Edited by Korizan

@Korizon: Though right now the poll results support your reasoning, most people I know have paired Intel CPUs with ATI/AMD GPUs. CPU-wise my personal impression is that Intel offers a much wider range of products catering to different budgets (Pentium G to i3, i5, i7 to Xeon CPUs that nowadays are also very nice for gaming PCs), implying people will also hunt for different budgets of GPUs.

I think you are going to lose that battle.

Even though I don't use Nvidia they do own the lions share of the market.

Eh, I don't mind being wrong. Though once the console versions hit I expect AMD to make a big jump.

There used to be an old rule (it had to do with mother boards and south bridge issues)

Basically if you used AMD you put in an ATI video card and if you where using an Intel you used Nvidia.

So as most gamers where/are power hungry, they went for the INTEL CPU and as such Nvidia.

For those of us on a budget we went to AMD and ATI.

That rule hasn't been relevant for years, if it ever was. NVidia cards work fine on AMD boards, AMD cards work fine on Intel boards, standards are wonderful things.

That rule hasn't been relevant for years, if it ever was. NVidia cards work fine on AMD boards, AMD cards work fine on Intel boards, standards are wonderful things.

That's true, but AMD still sucks when it comes to high-end systems (and their drivers sucks too). Intel i7 + NV 970/980/980Ti/Titan X is the high end nowadays. It's been a long time since I've seen hi-end gaming system powered by AMD stuff.

2x AMD Radeon R9 290, one is asleep mostly :wink:. Earlyer i had lots of Nvidia, i gave AMD a chance...

I really never had a issue with AMD so far, driverupdates are very good in my opinion.

Edited by Mikki

I use a nVidia 670GTX. It's kinda dated, but serves well for KSP, and many other games. Not so good in 7DTD though.

NVidia. Had a 610 when I got KSP, upgraded to a 750 Ti now. I've owned five successive NVidia cards and will stick with them as long as they continue being bothered to make good Linux drivers.
I've had issues with AMD cards on Linux in the past, and have always had good experiences with Nvidia, so when I built my desktop that's what I went with. i7-4790k and a GTX 770.

..I thought it was the other 'way round? ATI with better Linux drivers etc. (I don't often use Linux-based desktops so my info may be heavily dated - mostly headless servers)

It's a little complicated. Nowadays NVidia provide excellent Linux drivers but they're proprietary. They've provided very little support for Free Software developers, so if for some reason you can't use the proprietary drivers you may have problems.

AMD on the other hand have provided rather poor proprietary drivers, with inferior performance compared to Windows and for some users stability issues. They have though been much more supportive of Free Software developers, but the Free driver remains mediocre on performance.

For some perspective of just how bad AMD can be on Linux, when using proprietary drivers for both NVidia's GTX 950 will beat AMD's much more expensive R9 290 and R9 Fury in several games. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nv-gtx950-linux&num=5 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nv-gtx950-fury&num=2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.